• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best mount for USO SR8 1-8?

PhrogDriver

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2007
Virginia
Hey guys,

What are some good mounting solutions for the USO SR8 1-8? I have one on order and will be putting it on an SPRish AR-15 to shoot out to 800 yards. I want it as low as possible, but high enough to clear a KAC 600m rear BUIS. QD would be nice, but not critical. I think I remember reading somewhere that 1x optics shouldn't be mounted with any cant (though I have no idea why) so I guess I need something with 0 MOA, but I'm not really sure. Anything else I need to consider? I've looked at ADM, Larue, GDI, and Badger and it looks like there are plenty of options, but I don't know their pros and cons so I'm consulting the wisdom of the crowd on this one. Thanks!

Phrogdriver

I've had mine sitting in an ADM scout mount for some time now. I went with the one that has 20moa built in.

It has worked great as have all of my other ADM products. I would highly recommend it for your 1-8.

I've had mine sitting in an ADM scout mount for some time now. I went with the one that has 20moa built in.

It has worked great as have all of my other ADM products. I would highly recommend it for your 1-8.

Thanks for the info! Any idea which one you're using? Their website shows three Scout mounts: the Scout, the Scout-X, and the Scout-S. Some appear to have a longer cantilever than others. On that note, is a cantilever mount necessary?

IMG_0974.jpg

Sorry I should have specified.

The standard with 20 moa... here is a pic.

Awesome; much appreciated. It even looks like it's just high enough for a rear KAC BUIS. And, I now see why you need a cantilever to get the proper eye relief. BTW, sweet looking setup you have there! Just out of curiosity, what's your zero set at, and how does that work for close targets (less than 25 yards)?

I have my zero set at 100. I prefer this for anything I intend to shoot past 300 often.

A 100 yard zero ensures that you are always dialing up in elevation rather then having to go up sometimes and down others. Its just a couple mil hold over for a 25 yard shot... or just hold high and run the red dot feature.

I have an odd setup --I have a 3.2-17 SN3 mounted with low USO rings and a Larue QD riser mount on an AR. It was the only thing I could find that put it exactly where I wanted it, cleared the KAC 600m Micro (which is really just as good as the regular 600m --I use both, but the Micro is cheaper and I'll just use those in the future) and kept it at about 1.5" center (for clip ons). If there's a better, more solid way to cantilever it over a KAC FF rail and keep it right at 1.5" center, by all means, PM me and let me know.

Now I'm not sure, but isn't the eyepiece for the SR8 the same as the SN3? Or close? I couldn't imagine it being any larger. If so, if similar, you want about 1.5" to center with a 30mm tube, regardless of the mount you choose. For the Micro. I bet the regular 600m would fit, but I never put it on that rifle so I can't be 100% sure. It should, but it would be fairly close. It does rest under a Leupold Mk4 in a Larue SRS mount just perfect though.

If you call Larue, they know almost instantly the compatibility of just about all scopes, sights, etc. with their mounts. That's pretty cool, not everyone does that. Now if you know which Larue mount works, even if you go with another, the centerline of that mount will be identical with any other provided the eyepiece is in the same spot over the sight. That should help you right there the most, I mean, that solves the problem for any and all mounts.

If you want QD, Larue ain't bad, particularly with their one piece mounts like the SRS and such. Some don't like 'em but I've grown to actually love 'em. They make pretty good mounts and their QD stuff just works. They sort of make a myriad of stuff that works well with AR's and rear sights and stuff too. If you don't want that scope cantilevered and don't want QD, there are more stable but costly mounts like the Bobro and ADM mounts, etc. USO makes nice rings too.

I'd personally go with the ADM (I think that was the $300+ mount I looked at) IF it cantilevered the scope out some. I can't stand the eyepiece on an AR past the charging handle and I prefer nose to the handle if possible. I don't recall finding a mount at all that would work like that with the SN3, hence the Larue riser and USO low rings (which ended up costing about as much as the really nice ADM mount!). Which does work well, that Grendel still shoots .33MOA @ 100y so it hasn't changed any from the Leupold Mk4 using the SRS or an ACOG, all of which it previously used. Still I'd prefer a one piece.

Yeah, I think the eyepiece on the SR-8 is the same as the SN-3. I have an SN-3 as well, and from the pictures of the SR-8 they look identical. That's a good way of figuring out what I need: just measure the height of my SN-3 (mounted with Badger low rings on a Badger riser) and find a QD mount with the same height. I never thought about calling Larue, but if they can definitively tell me that one of their mounts will work, that's probably a good place to start. Thanks for the info!

I have an odd setup --I have a 3.2-17 SN3 mounted with low USO rings and a Larue QD riser mount on an AR. It was the only thing I could find that put it exactly where I wanted it, cleared the KAC 600m Micro (which is really just as good as the regular 600m --I use both, but the Micro is cheaper and I'll just use those in the future) and kept it at about 1.5" center (for clip ons). If there's a better, more solid way to cantilever it over a KAC FF rail and keep it right at 1.5" center, by all means, PM me and let me know.

Now I'm not sure, but isn't the eyepiece for the SR8 the same as the SN3? Or close? I couldn't imagine it being any larger. If so, if similar, you want about 1.5" to center with a 30mm tube, regardless of the mount you choose. For the Micro. I bet the regular 600m would fit, but I never put it on that rifle so I can't be 100% sure. It should, but it would be fairly close. It does rest under a Leupold Mk4 in a Larue SRS mount just perfect though.

If you call Larue, they know almost instantly the compatibility of just about all scopes, sights, etc. with their mounts. That's pretty cool, not everyone does that. Now if you know which Larue mount works, even if you go with another, the centerline of that mount will be identical with any other provided the eyepiece is in the same spot over the sight. That should help you right there the most, I mean, that solves the problem for any and all mounts.

If you want QD, Larue ain't bad, particularly with their one piece mounts like the SRS and such. Some don't like 'em but I've grown to actually love 'em. They make pretty good mounts and their QD stuff just works. They sort of make a myriad of stuff that works well with AR's and rear sights and stuff too. If you don't want that scope cantilevered and don't want QD, there are more stable but costly mounts like the Bobro and ADM mounts, etc. USO makes nice rings too.

I'd personally go with the ADM (I think that was the $300+ mount I looked at) IF it cantilevered the scope out some. I can't stand the eyepiece on an AR past the charging handle and I prefer nose to the handle if possible. I don't recall finding a mount at all that would work like that with the SN3, hence the Larue riser and USO low rings (which ended up costing about as much as the really nice ADM mount!). Which does work well, that Grendel still shoots .33MOA @ 100y so it hasn't changed any from the Leupold Mk4 using the SRS or an ACOG, all of which it previously used. Still I'd prefer a one piece.