• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best muzzle brake for 308

a1-equipment

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Salem VA
Haven’t bought one in over 5 years, looking for 308 muzzle on ar10 that is good at reducing recoil for my young son to shoot.
Not concerned about control if muzzle flash.

...have had good experiences with the VG6 brakes in multiple calibers. Testing before attachment and after showed significant reduction in felt and actual recoil/muzzle jump. Like any brake, they can be loud, something to consider if one is sensitive to sound and subject to flinching as a result. VG6 products are moderately priced, go on sale frequently from many vendors.

+1 PVA JetBlast...and the price is better than most in that class.

i put surefire socom's on 2 of my AR10's and they made a big difference over the normal flash hider type. i havent noticed any fire balls in daylight but i dont shoot these in low light either. still feels like a 308 though, just not so punishing after 3-4 mags.

muzzle blast doesnt feel any different. not like some of the 223 comps i've been around.

Reactions: samnev
I am thinking of getting a APA little bastard gen 2 for mine. I have talked to people that say they reduce a 308 to 223 recoil levels.

I would maybe get one that can fit an oil can on top of it.
That test is complete bullshit nothing but subjective opinion.

This is a much better methodology but it still doesn't cover everything.

There is a reason all the top brakes look the same/similar.

APA, Area419, ACE , MPA. Just pick one and go shoot.

If you want lightweight, its hard to beat the SRS brakes.

Whatever you do, double the kids ear pro and make sure he inserts the foamies properly.

Sounds like a small frame with a good bullet might be in order . . .

It’s more of a hybrid brake/flash hider but after trying a few I liked the 2A armament x4, it noticeably reduced recoil.

Definitely the SLR BCF 30.
I just happen to have one for sale for $45 shipped too.
J/K
They all seam about the same to me. However I try not to buy them if they angle the noise back towards the firing line.
Here’s the BCF30 for reference

Attachments

• 65B2B835-2AC2-4FBD-A832-CA9A17B72E4D.jpeg
    65B2B835-2AC2-4FBD-A832-CA9A17B72E4D.jpeg
    671.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 8D3300AD-A049-424E-BDBA-6BDACF338E52.jpeg
    8D3300AD-A049-424E-BDBA-6BDACF338E52.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 75
  • A9E14453-38E4-45EF-AFBF-58621E1045E3.jpeg
    A9E14453-38E4-45EF-AFBF-58621E1045E3.jpeg
    723.1 KB · Views: 189
i put surefire socom's on 2 of my AR10's and they made a big difference over the normal flash hider type. i havent noticed any fire balls in daylight but i dont shoot these in low light either. still feels like a 308 though, just not so punishing after 3-4 mags.

muzzle blast doesnt feel any different. not like some of the 223 comps i've been around.
I agree, I like the Socom as well.

Last edited:
The Dead Air 3-chamber KeyMount Brake works great on mine. If you want even more, JMac Customs makes a Dead Air KeyMount 4-chamber version. Even if you don't plan on running a suppressor, they're still very good for a muzzle brake.