• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best muzzle break

tman300wm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
Ok guys, don't smoke me for this... I did a search and didn't come up with much on this topic.

Who makes the most effective muzzle break for reducing recoil while minimizing dirt backblast?

Include links and pictures if you have them... Getting some ideas for a project rifle.

Re: Best muzzle break

I'm trying one of the "Muscle Brake" ones on my 338 EDGE build,should be done in two weeks or so,was going to go with the "Fat Bastard",but they recommend a minimum barrel diameter of .90 at the muzzle,mine will be .850,also the threads are 11/16",I'm doing a 5/8" for a brake or suppressor.The "Fat Bastard" would have been my choice otherwise.I've heard a lot of good about them.

My most effective muzzle break was when I accidentally dropped the rifle from a balcony.

...Sorry I could not resist.

You should post pictures of that one Stringer. Priceless....

ahaha...sorry bout that one
smile.gif

Don't mean to further detract from your thread (because I have nothing constructive to contribute), but I abso-freaking-lutely love your signature. Big thumbs up.

My Badger Ordnance FTE brake is great on my 308. It does not kick up dirt like the vais brake does. I have heard good things about the fat bastard break also. Hope this helps.

Gene

.260 Rem. I was thinking of doing a suppressor, but I don't want the added length and weight, and I have a 26" barrel as it is.

Well as always, get a Tubb Brake, my .308 kicks like a .243, and CKA .260 kicks like a .223, with my Shark Suppresser on my stick kicks alot more than with the Tubb Brake on, there adjustable to you your gun and shooting style, there around 85 bucks from Brownells once you log in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes the most effective muzzle break for reducing recoil while minimizing dirt backblast?</div></div>

I have a Holland brake on my 300. I'm shooting 200-210's at 2830-2880 fps (22" barrel) and It recoils less that my sons 270 shooting 130's.

In addition to the huge side ports, it has three smaller ports on the top, so all the recoil is effectively driven straight back as opposed to the muzzle rise of an un-braked gun. There are no holes on the bottom of the brake, so there is almost no dust signature.

As far as I can tell the rifle is just as accurate with the brake as without (although it takes a lot less effort and concentration with it
wink.gif
) , despite those claims that an asymmetrical brake will be detrimental.

You can find them here: http://www.hollandguns.com/index.html Click <span style="font-weight: bold">Muzzle Brakes</span> as the link will not take you directly to the page.

John

ftebrake002.jpg

Badger's FTE as shown on my .338LM....kind of a homely beast but really gets the job done..diverts the blast sideways and not down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok guys, don't smoke me for this... I did a search and didn't come up with much on this topic.

Who makes the most effective muzzle break for reducing recoil while minimizing dirt backblast?

Include links and pictures if you have them... Getting some ideas for a project rifle. </div></div>

i dont know if that can be done, bc the most effective brake is going to put off more of a backblast. side by side the lil bastard puts off more of a backblast than a thruster, however the lil bastard is softer on the shoulder than the truster, its all a big trade off, more recoil reduction more blast.

i would slap a American precision arms lil bastard on that gun and run with it, if it was mine, its a killer brake.

it is more effecttive to me than a badger thruster but it also puts off more blast.

if you are going to run a can and want a removable brake then the fte is what you need.

just my thoughts

I'm leaning towards the FTE just in case I decide to run a can on this rifle. I recently acquired a Rem 5R .308 with an 18" barrel threaded for 5/8-24. If I do a .308 suppressor I can always run it on both rifles.....

It's always a trade off of some kind. The FTE may not be the most effective, but it seems that it has the features that will allow me to get the most out of the rifle in terms of options and configurations while still minimizing recoil.

Thanks for the help and recommendations to all!

For the weight/size comparison alone I like the VAIS brakes as well as the Badger Thruster. Both give ample recoil reduction and do not add a lot of barrel harmonics.

I have a VAIS on a 300 Win Mag PSS. Shooting 220 grain match kings @ 2925fps feels like a non braked 308 PSS shooting 175 match ammo.

the only brake I own is an AAC it doubles as a suppressor mount but it realy does a good job at cutting out recoil I had to get used to haveing the bang with out the push. Its similar to the badger in design but not as big.

bauer arms, or triadtactical. But you will still have to have the barrel turned and threaded