• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best non 1911 .45 for duty/carry?

Bamf911

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2010
NC, Piedmont Area
Been looking at Sig 220's, hk's and glocks. I would appreciate anyone with first hand experience carrying any of these as a duty firearm/everyday carry, chiming in with their pro's and con's. A solid controllable shooter is my primary interest.

Thanks Henry

Re: Best non 1911 .45 for duty/carry?

all three are great guns

21sf is a very popular gun
HK45 and 45c are both awesome guns
and the sig 220 and 220 carry are both awesome as well

you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any of them. i would go for the one that is the most comfortable to you. some people don't fit them all the same.

Para Ordnance LDA... assuming the reason you're asking about other than 1911 is because of the SA issue, I bought my first LDA right after they came out 10ish years ago and haven't carried anything except it and the glock 19(just for a change occasionally) since, before that I had a sig220 that I bought because the sheriff really didn't like my 1911s, and I hated it

For non-1911 I'd pick the Sig 220 followed by the HK45 (not the USP 45).

Both are proven platforms that will do anything a production pistol will do.
JMC

HK45 if you can carry big, HK45 Compact if you need it to be smaller.

If you have huge hands, the new FN Tactical 45 offers 15 round mags.

I'm still using a 1st gen Glock 21. It works 100% of the time and don't cost alot of $$$$.
Handle all of them to see which feels best in your hand.

Glock21 and/or Sig220 will serve you well, HK products don't do anything better, there customer service sucks ass, mags are way too exspensive and hard to find, Glock/Sig don't have any of those negatives, I have owned all 3.

I carry a Sig 220 Carry for a duty weapon. I've had zero problems with it and used it a few months ago to kill an attacking pit bull. When the shooting happened it was only the second time I had shot the gun since they were just issued a couple of weeks prior. It functioned perfectly and I was able to put all 9 rounds on target.

I was a little skeptical when we first went to them since we originally had Sig 226's in .40cal and then Glock 22's. But I've gotten used to the thinner grip and prefer it now. I actually switched my off duty carry to a Kimber to get slimmer profile as well.

Thanks for the input I will take it into consideration. I have a 100 dollar gift certificate I would imagine most ranges would have at least the sig and the glock if not all 3 I will go have a try.

I would suggest against a .45 if not a 1911, but my vote would be the S&W M&P.

I would specifically recommend against HK-anything as they are overpriced and have a high bore axis (and thus are not well suited to shooting fast).

Sig isn't my preference although the 220 fits the hand better than the double stack models.

Learning two triggers is a waste of time. Striker fired is definitely the way to go if single action isn't acceptable.

I suggest you look at the P226 in 40 S&W. The 40 is cheaper to shoot, has less recoil and very similar stopping power when compared to the .45. As far as handgun model, the P220 is a sewing machine and extremely accurate. I do not like glock triggers at all, they have a heavy pull and not having a saftey (although they are very safe to carry) bothers me and the H&K's while nice, have like mentioned above "a high bore axis" which makes it hard to control when fired rapidly, and are very expensive when compared to some of the other options. Good luck with your decision.

+1 ^ ^ ^ M&P 45 ^ ^ ^

First off, I am a very prejudiced 1911 shooter for over 45 years, and base the following on that fact. I have shot Glock 21s, have a 30, and have shot the XD.

We have two (full size w/ 4 1/2" & compact w/ 4") for T&E and I am very impressed. Ergonomically, the best polymer frame gun on the market. The ONLY shortcoming might be the trigger reset, assuming you like a very "positive" reset. That can be remedied with aftermarket parts (my understanding).

Good luck on your quest,

Kevin

Bamf911, as you said, shooting them all first before you buy is a good idea. All three are great choices, but what works best for me may or may not work best for you.

That said, once you test all three, and if you are still unsure, I recommend the Glock for many reasons. The gun and magazines are less expensive. It has the same trigger pull every time. It is stupid simple to take apart. It is as accurate and reliable as the others, but is also more durable. It doesn't have a thumb safety.

But first, go shoot all three. No matter what, you'll be getting a good gun.

I personally love my HK USP compact in .45. I like how it can be carried locked and loaded with the safety on like a 1911 or it can be double action. If you want a cheaper option, I never had a malfunction in the 2500 rounds or so I put through my glock .45

M&P are very nice pistols. Made in USA!! Great warranty. My Springfield xd has been 100% for a few thousand rounds now too.

I like the compact 45s. They seem to be just the right size for me. And they still pack at least 12 rounds of .45. You can carry a full sized spare mag if you feel so inclined. 25 rounds of .45 with one mag change. I never want to encounter the situation that requires that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest you look at the P226 in 40 S&W. The 40 is cheaper to shoot, has less recoil and very similar stopping power when compared to the .45. As far as handgun model, the P220 is a sewing machine and extremely accurate. I do not like glock triggers at all, they have a heavy pull and not having a saftey (although they are very safe to carry) bothers me and the H&K's while nice, have like mentioned above "a high bore axis" which makes it hard to control when fired rapidly, and are very expensive when compared to some of the other options. Good luck with your decision. </div></div>

.40 does not have less recoil than .45.

.40 is a nasty and snappy cartridge.

Sig doesn't have a safety, either. If that's your concern about the Glock, why not make it about the Sig as well?

At least we agree on the HK.

While not on your list, my vote goes for the mid size M&P45. 10 rounds with the option for 14 (although they are huge).

More important than anything is shooting the gun. You can pour over the specs and ooh and aah at the super extra special glowing sights and do dads all you want.

Get a gun. Get a GOOD holster. And shoot the crap out of it. There are tons of people out there that say the XD is crap. I like it. I have shot mine a ton. I know how it handles. I know it's reliable.

While it's a good idea to get outside perspective, you're not going to know what works for you until you get your hands on a few guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest you look at the P226 in 40 S&W. The 40 is cheaper to shoot, has less recoil and very similar stopping power when compared to the .45. As far as handgun model, the P220 is a sewing machine and extremely accurate. I do not like glock triggers at all, they have a heavy pull and not having a saftey (although they are very safe to carry) bothers me and the H&K's while nice, have like mentioned above "a high bore axis" which makes it hard to control when fired rapidly, and are very expensive when compared to some of the other options. Good luck with your decision. </div></div>

Sig doesn't have a safety, either. If that's your concern about the Glock, why not make it about the Sig as well?

At least we agree on the HK. </div></div>

I suppose perceived recoil is more of a shooter's perception. I always thought the .40 has a short quick pop, then you were right back on target. With the 45 it's like the handgun is trying to escape your hand, and what seems like a longer recoil. But like I said, I think that is just individual shooter perception. Also I may have been subjective when talking about saftey's, the Sig has a hammer, which when it's in the holster, I put a strap over and just feel a little better about the gun not going off. But that's just my opinion.

I'll stick with my 21SF... It holds lots of bullets and It's not picky about ammo. Reliability!!!

I agree on the HK USP compact (ignore compact because it is the size of everybody elses full size). I am a 1911 guy and it is the only non 1911 .45 I own. Same type controls and you can carry one in the pipe and hammer down safely if you don't mind the DA first trigger pull in addition to cocked and locked. Accurate and reliable. I lean toward it probably because it is "1911 like" in fire control positon and use. I have no issues with the bore axis or follow ups noted.

I'm just not a fan of active safeties on a carry pistol. It's just one more function you have to complete before you can fire.

I don't own any thumb break holsters either. A quality holster should have an appropriate amount of retention built in. Again, retention adds another function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest you look at the P226 in 40 S&W. The 40 is cheaper to shoot, has less recoil and very similar stopping power when compared to the .45. As far as handgun model, the P220 is a sewing machine and extremely accurate. I do not like glock triggers at all, they have a heavy pull and not having a saftey (although they are very safe to carry) bothers me and the H&K's while nice, have like mentioned above "a high bore axis" which makes it hard to control when fired rapidly, and are very expensive when compared to some of the other options. Good luck with your decision. </div></div>

I suppose perceived recoil is more of a shooter's perception. I always thought the .40 has a short quick pop, then you were right back on target. With the 45 it's like the handgun is trying to escape your hand, and what seems like a longer recoil. But like I said, I think that is just individual shooter perception. Also I may have been subjective when talking about saftey's, the Sig has a hammer, which when it's in the holster, I put a strap over and just feel a little better about the gun not going off. But that's just my opinion. </div></div>

What are "safety's"?

If you don't feel safe unless you're carrying a double action gun with the hammer down AND a strap over the top of the gun for CCW, your "opinion" is pretty out of touch with most of the gun-toting public.

With smaller hands, the Sig P220 is about the most comfortable .45 that I have shot. The recoil is very easy to handle. It handles and points very well. The next choice would be the M&P followed by the G21. Like my Glocks but the G21 is a handful

Aside from owning many 1911's over the years, I've also owned glock and xd in 45acp. My duty gun is a sig 226 in 40sw(department issue, not personal choice allowed). In my opinion, if you have good mechanics and marksmanship skills, you can shoot any pistol accurately. Just about everything I've shot shoots just as accurate. I currently own only one xd, and that is a xdm 40 4.8 that I bought for the wife as a home defense weapon. While I shoot the glocks and xds just fine, I don't really prefer them. They don't "feel" right in MY hands. I prefer the 1911 over others. Of course my 226 feels good in the hands, but then again I carry it every day at work, qualify twice a year with it, and shoot it at least once a month.

I've never had a para and would be interested in trying one out. The M&P line is another one I'd like to try. If you can, at least handle them at a local gun shop. If possible, rent and shoot it. That way, you'll know exactly how it feels. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest you look at the P226 in 40 S&W. The 40 is cheaper to shoot, has less recoil and very similar stopping power when compared to the .45. As far as handgun model, the P220 is a sewing machine and extremely accurate. I do not like glock triggers at all, they have a heavy pull and not having a saftey (although they are very safe to carry) bothers me and the H&K's while nice, have like mentioned above "a high bore axis" which makes it hard to control when fired rapidly, and are very expensive when compared to some of the other options. Good luck with your decision. </div></div>

I suppose perceived recoil is more of a shooter's perception. I always thought the .40 has a short quick pop, then you were right back on target. With the 45 it's like the handgun is trying to escape your hand, and what seems like a longer recoil. But like I said, I think that is just individual shooter perception. Also I may have been subjective when talking about saftey's, the Sig has a hammer, which when it's in the holster, I put a strap over and just feel a little better about the gun not going off. But that's just my opinion. </div></div>

What are "safety's"?

If you don't feel safe unless you're carrying a double action gun with the hammer down AND a strap over the top of the gun for CCW, your "opinion" is pretty out of touch with most of the gun-toting public. </div></div>

"Saftey's" was a mistype, I was using my phone, it corrected the word for some reason? I am not sure why. I didn't say I don't feel safe without having a DA gun with a strapped down hammer, I was just trying to make the point that having control of the hammer when the gun is in the holster can act as a saftey.

Only one I have experience with of those is the sig 220carry. Its been a damn good pistol for me. I ccw it everday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest against a .45 if not a 1911, but my vote would be the S&W M&P.

I would specifically recommend against HK-anything as they are overpriced and have a high bore axis (and thus are not well suited to shooting fast).

Sig isn't my preference although the 220 fits the hand better than the double stack models.

Learning two triggers is a waste of time. Striker fired is definitely the way to go if single action isn't acceptable. </div></div>

I had a 220, fits the hand and shoots well. I just didn't care to adapt to the DA/SA trigger pull. It was a great gun.

G 21and G 30 SF are my favorite non-1911 .45 ACP. I have carried them both.

I was at the verge of buying an M&P in 45 yesterday and noticed that on every M&P, the barrel sits on the bottom side of the hole in the slide. in other words, it is not centered in the hole at the end of the slide. I thought this gun was some how in error, but every M&P is built that way. Anyone know why?

I also did the HK thing and while they are great shooters, everything is / was) proprietary and expensive, lights, mags etc.

My vote is for the sig 220, I have had two and they both shot great. Best factory out of box accuracy 45 I have shot.

In my opinion, the P220 is the finest combat handgun available.

I've carried a Sig P220 Combat & HK 45C, but I prefe the HK 45C.

Never use the HK, by all accounts, excellent weapon. Have some experinece with the other two. I'm a glock fan, but I modify the frames to change the grip angle. They are high cap., but I don't really like them that well unless they are modified. The 220 is VERY sweet, points great, super reliability and accuracy. It's only drawback is a low mag capacity. Without modification, the 220 would be my choice.

Glock, Sig, or M&P would be my choice. In .45 the Sig is the most comfortable and easiest to handle for me. I really enjoy the P220. Next would be the M&P followed closely by Glock. The Glock .45 is just a little uncomfortable for me to shoot. MY EDC is a G27, so I am not bashing the Glocks, just stating that I have a G21 and did own a G30 but find them not the nicest to handle for me.

+1 for the p220. It is very ergonomic. But I love my usp compact. I like carrying a SA/DA pistol and it's sexy too lol

Glock, Sig or M&P... you will be fine with any of them as long as you like the way they fit your hand. The Glock and M&P both have a little bigger grips but they also have more capacity and less of a price tag. Sig is a closer, "One size fits all" but lacks capacity and is heavy on the price tag.

Avoid HK... They are over priced and I have witnessed more HK pistols break over the years than any other brand, note that the HK is not the predominant brand in the classes I have been involved in.

I carry the Springfield XDM 45. I love it, kind of a cross between a 1911, and a Glock. the ergonomics feel way better than either to me though, but it all really comes down to personal preference.

My choice would be a Glock or a S&W M&P. Those are both very solid guns. My third choice would be a Sig 220, which I have also owned, but I give the Glock and the M&P an edge because I think that they are better for carry purposes. I'm not trying to say that you couldn't carry a Sig, but I would prefer to carry one of the other two guns. Plus, I don't like the DA/SA trigger for carry purposes since the first shot would have a different trigger pull than subsequent shots. This is something you can get used to in training, but in the event that I would ever have to use it under pressure, I would prefer everything to be the same each time.

I don't have any experience with the H&K's. I have heard that the H&K 45 is a good gun though, just big.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Para Ordnance LDA... assuming the reason you're asking about other than 1911 is because of the SA issue, I bought my first LDA right after they came out 10ish years ago and haven't carried anything except it and the glock 19(just for a change occasionally) since, before that I had a sig220 that I bought because the sheriff really didn't like my 1911s, and I hated it </div></div>

I had an LDA, trigger pull is exactly the same whether on safe or not (pull either ends with a bang or doesn't), I didn't like that at all. Additionally, they have lots of small parts and my gunsmith (who is exceptional) said avoid it like the plague; when it goes bad, it goes really bad.

I have an HK45, like it allot, great feel, indexes perfectly, very accurate and reliable. I have owned a Sig 220 and liked it, great feel, never a hiccup.

I can't index Glocks for shit, do I don't own/carry Glock. Had a G30 several years back, hated the trigger, couldn't index it, gone very quickly.

have shot the XD and the M&P, both not bad, neither did I like as much as the HK45.

If you have big hands, my vote is for the HK45; if not, the P220 will probably fit better. There are plenty of options (holsters, sites, etc) available for each. Neither is cheap. You get what you pay for.

Love my hk. It's not too expensive. Probably $250 more than a glock. Like the above poster said you get what you pay for.

I ended up buying a kimber pro carry with the laser grips and I love it, but I think I lost $1100 buying it lol

After switching from a Wilson Combat CQB to a HK45, I prefer the HK45. It is lighter and softer recoiling than any 1911 I've owned.

I carry both G21 & G30, both SF models daily.

I liked the SF for a better fit to my shorter fingers. They're Glocks, what more can I say without disturbing the corpse of the horse?

I've had absolutely trouble-free shooting from both. Anything from light ball ammo to my Fed HST 230gr +P duty ammo.

With the G30 my only complaint is reloading with firearm IN-BATTERY! I find that when I load my G30 10rd magazine(loaded), it takes a very assertive "slam" to seat the magazine. I do not have that problem with my G21 and it's magazines loaded to the max. I also find that with my hands, the G30 magazine base catches on my strong-side palm, so it won't drop-free regularly(<span style="font-weight: bold">MY</span> fault, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">*NOT*</span></span> Glock!!)

Other than that, I have been very very happy with both! Just the other day at in-service they had us shooting @ 75yds. I had my G21 out there, was happy to have about a 8-10" group on center-mass, ten shots. They were S_L_O_W though, so not like it was rapid fire or shooting at someone firing onto me which DRASTICALLY changes things I know. BUT. . it gave me confidence in the firearm and myself.

I've had Sig P220's. I really like Sig as well. I know HK makes a good gun, but I just don't care for how they feel.

So, I'm a Glock fan, but doesn't mean it's the best gun, it's just the best gun . . . . FOR ME!

Best of luck!

-G45

My only gripe with my hk is that it's thick and harder to conceal than my 1911

Go with what ever fits you best,I had a 220 and didnt like the grip angle,high bore axis,$40 mags and the sights didnt shoot point of aim YMMV

+1 for G21sf. grip/fit, reliable, parts, etc..

HK USP45 and 45c are fine. fit wasn't the best for me on the fsize.

I may try the HK45c.

P220 that's why I own 3
Sig is having a special price now for LEO, 1st responders and military. I just read about on this board.

Sig quality control has gone down the tubes in recent years. Get a pre-2005 one, or don't buy one...that's my recommendation.

The HK45 is likely the best .45ACP fighting pistol made. I would take it over any 1911, into harms way, any day of the week.

The S&W M&P is the leader of the pack when it comes to the Glock/XD/M&P price point guns (this applies to .45ACP only).

Purchased a Sig 220 over 25 years ago, couldn't begin to guess at the rounds that's have been thru it with no problems at all. Can't speak for quality today, but mine, and a 230, have given exceptional service.