• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Best NV combo...opinions plz!

mt-ed

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2014
I'll be hunting dogs, no hogs here. I'm wondering what would be the best arrangement. Is NV best for maneuvering, and thermal scope best for shooting? Some say otherwise because NV is better for ident. I could use bino NV for other purposes as well, but having no experience with thermal, I question adequate identification?
I'd sure appreciate anyone willing to share their experiences, and their reasons for their choices. Thanks in advance.

Ed

get yourself an X320 thermal hand held for tgt acquisition, not shooting.
Now get a combo set of two PVS-14, helmet mounted, but able to be quickly taken off and one weapon mounted.
Use the NV for movement and POSITIVE target Identification, Get a small IR/WHITE combo for the helmt, and a larger IR.white combo for your pocket, get yourself an IR/white combe for your weapon also . SF952 works well.
And depending on the sales etc you will have spent about 12K to 15K.
this is just one quick list of many combos you can get.

For my personal use, I agree with Shooter. If I was limited on gear, I would have a PVS-14 on my melon and an IR laser on my rifle. If I wanted too, I could then attach a 3x magnifier and weapons mount it.

However, not everyone has the same use case scenario. Half the fun for me is just navigating with night vision on my head. I really enjoy that aspect of it. And if we are being honest, a lot of that is just because it is a strong reminder of times past for me, of a time when I was far more capable and far cooler.

A lot of my customers by a clip on first. A lot of people will gripe about that, but for some people, it's a perfect fit. If you just want to hunt over a feeder, have no desire to wander around aimlessly in the dark, or are covering a very specific, narrow area, a weapons mounted system is great. There are certainly safety aspects to be aware of in that use, but it is a great fit for some.

To more directly answer your question, if I was getting two devices, I would get a night vision monocular, and a light/small thermal clip on. It would let me navigate and shoot with the monocular, but I could also use the thermal clip-on as a hand held detection device any time I wanted, then throw it on my rifle for magnified shooting, once the target is positively identified and a safe backstop is confirmed. Then there is the converse. You want to cover more area, but don't care to navigate with NV. You could get a small thermal monocular and a night vision clip on. Then you could detect with the monocular, ID and engage at much longer distances with the clip-on.

It is going to come down to the way you want to use it more than anything.

What distance do you see yourself engaging dogs? For me, IR lasers, even with a 3x USGI lens, ain't going to get it done at over 200 yards.

get yourself an X320 thermal hand held for tgt acquisition, not shooting.
Now get a combo set of two PVS-14, helmet mounted, but able to be quickly taken off and one weapon mounted.
Use the NV for movement and POSITIVE target Identification, Get a small IR/WHITE combo for the helmt, and a larger IR.white combo for your pocket, get yourself an IR/white combe for your weapon also . SF952 works well.
And depending on the sales etc you will have spent about 12K to 15K.
this is just one quick list of many combos you can get.

Agree wholeheartedly. Good post.

For the OP, what is your true range you want to see and engage at, that will also play into the factor as ncorry asked this as well and this is key to what NV shootin' gear you want to play with.

Vic

Tag for info. (Need to identify between coyotes, fox, bobcat, deer, and hog out to 200 and hopefully 300).