• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best optic upgrade for .308 Tikka T3 in my range

Reindeerfloat11

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2020
I current use an older Leupold Mark IV - I think this one: 4.5-14x50mm - on my Tikka T3 .308

I'm looking at bumping up to a Vortex Razor HD, or Nightforce.

Here's what I'm budgeted for:

NightForce 12-42x56mm Precision Benchrest Illuminated Riflescope, .125 MOA NP-R2 $1,473.00

or

New, NightForce 8-32x56mm NXS Riflescope, ZeroStop .250 MOA - MOAR Reticle $2,190.00

I don't understand why the magnification is better on the more affordable NF.

Of course I'm also looking at the

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Rifle-scope with EBR-2B Reticle, .10 MRAD Turrets RZR-520 ($1,699)

I'm not an advanced shooter, but I can see there isn't enough magnification on my Mark IV, and I wont be buying again for a long time, so looking to make the most of it.
Bear in mnd I am usign a Roedale / Viper skin that weigthst he rile down a lot, so its basically a bench / mat cannon.

Also, with a potentially 56 bell, what height rings will I need?

Will these do:

Nightforce Optics 34mm 1.44" Center Height Ultralite Unimount - 20 MOA A257 ($260.00)

Thank you in advance!

You can find the Gen I razor a lot cheaper here on the Hide. If your paying over 1200 for that scope you’re paying to much. What youve got listed are two SFP MOA scopes for benchrest type shooting and a Mil, FFP scope for everything else. also that Gen I razor uses 35MM rings.
you can easily find Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 in the Optics PX section used in the 1200 range
all the time. I would rather have that than any of the listed above. And if weight is not a concern, a Gen II Razor 4-27 x56 would serve you well and they’re in the optics PX section for sub 1600$ all the time.

You can get a brand new Gen 2 Razor from some of the site sponsors for under $1600, that would be my choice.

The two Nightforces you are looking at are pretty specialized, especially the 12-42 for F-class/benchrest type shooting.
Unless this is what you will be doing the Razor G1 or G2 will be far better suited for long range shooting.
The Razor 4.5-27 is more than enough magnification for 99% of shooters.

The 12-42 Nightforce is really a benchrest only scope, having 1/8th MOA turrets and the turrets being capped, also the adjustable objective lens rather than side focus parallax is not as well suited to general shooting as other scopes in the price bracket.

Reactions: schlaiek
The first scope you have listed has 1/8th minute adjustments. That is primarily a benchrest/f class scope.
You will dial ALOT if you are trying to shoot distance.
The other scope has 1/4 minute adjustments, finally the Vortex features 1/10th mil adjustments.
I understand that this is a range gun, so SFP vs FFP is not really an issue.
You mention a Roedale system, not many of those stateside. If you aren't in the US, that may limit what is available to you.
There are several excellent scopes in your price range.
Sightron makes the excellent SSVED series, I have the 4.5-24, which is a tactical scope. It is excellent.
They also have some 10-50 models for bench and f class.
They also have a lower priced, though still very good SIII series in 10-50.
The Burris XTR III 5.5-30 is in your price range as well as several excellent Athlon options.

Can someone explain the difference between bench resr shooting and...not? Does this mean a bench scope would not be good for prone shooting?

With the Roedale the rifle weighs a ton, so I won’t be moving around with it. But I would want to be prone. For whatever reason (credit etc) it looks like the Razor is what I’m going for so hopefully that works out. The rail is only over the action so I don’t know if a cantilevered mount will work either.

You can find the Gen I razor a lot cheaper here on the Hide. If your paying over 1200 for that scope you’re paying to much. What youve got listed are two SFP MOA scopes for benchrest type shooting and a Mil, FFP scope for everything else. also that Gen I razor uses 35MM rings.
you can easily find Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 in the Optics PX section used in the 1200 range
all the time. I would rather have that than any of the listed above. And if weight is not a concern, a Gen II Razor 4-27 x56 would serve you well and they’re in the optics PX section for sub 1600$ all the time.

What’s the problem with 35mm rings? Just harder to find?

Can someone explain the difference between bench resr shooting and...not? Does this mean a bench scope would not be good for prone shooting?

With the Roedale the rifle weighs a ton, so I won’t be moving around with it. But I would want to be prone. For whatever reason (credit etc) it looks like the Razor is what I’m going for so hopefully that works out. The rail is only over the action so I don’t know if a cantilevered mount will work either.
This site typically caters to the tactical crowd, so first focal plane with holdover reticles are what we typically use.
There is nothing wrong with a bench rest scope, especially on a gun that will see nothing but square range use.
They typically have finer adjustments (1/4 to 1/8 MOA), frequently don't have as much adjustment travel and are second focal plane.
NONE of those are disqualifiers for what you want to do.
FWIW, a really nice 6-24 would serve you well, there is a plethora of good 6-24x scopes available.
More magnification doesn't make it better.
quality glass and coatings trump magnification every time.
consistent, repeatable tracking trumps glass and magnification

Welcome to the Hide!

Not my picture but going with what @beetroot was suggesting with a razor 2 4.5-27.
20180404_145213.jpg

Might be good to read this as well from the home page.

Also would be good to decide on first focal vs second focal. Thought there was an article. Maybe not.

You can pick up pretty good scopes here in the px or from hide sponsor companies for pretty good deals. Last year I picked up a razor 2 4.5-27 ebr7c that was 6 months old with rings and scope caps for $1900. It will be going on a Tikka.