• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best options for a well rounded AR collection?

DontWorryScro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2018
I currently own a home defense/SHTF 14.5" AR-15. But I also have an Aero Precision AR-15 lower and most recently an Aero M5 stripped AR-10 lower that was on sale for around $100. Before the Aero M5, I had planned on building out the AR-15 lower to be a 6.5 Grendel to give me a precision long range rifle. But now with the Aero AR-10 upper/lower set I'm considering making it a 6.5 Creedmoor which would perhaps make the 6.5G redundant.

Given the same circumstance, how might you guys proceed to give yourself a nice, balanced AR collection?

To recap I've got one Aero AR-15 and one Aero M5 AR-10 lower to play with.

Caveat: I live in California so this means suppressed, pistol and/or SBR builds are a no go for me.

Also, I do not currently reload (yet) so I would prefer to lean towards factory ammo over exotic wildcats. I do have my FFL03 and COE so locating ammo and having it shipped to my home is not a problem. (If you're from CA you know what I'm talking about)

Attached is a pic of the rifle I own at the moment for giggles. Notice the featureless abomination around the grip. I know...
AR15_A.jpg

A 6.5G plays @ 200 yards better in most any situation than the same SPR style rig in 5.56, and it weighs less than a large frame AR. If you’re more inclined to be out and about, that’s a nice feature.

Yes, I mostly do range shooting but I also don't want to completely preclude myself from jumping on board a hunting trip when the opportunity arises.

I suppose what might be an ok option is a hunting/mobile 6.5G and a heavy range toy 6.5CM.

Reactions: Mike_Honcho
In full disclosure I have not built mine yet - but I have read enough of LRRP’s stuff here and elsewhere to see the light. A 6.5G is outstanding game getter / steel ringer that gives you something right in-between .308 and 5.56 while at the same weight of a small frame.

Wilson Combat has had their 6.5 Creedmoor barrels on sale on and off for a while. The 22" looks really tempting to me except I already have 3 6.5 barrels.

Add a Toolcraft BCG, Aero M5E1 upper plus handguard and the other little bits to finish it off and you'll have a nice 6.5 Creedmoor AR that outperforms a Grendle 100% of the time.

I got my first AR maybe 12-13 years ago when all we could get was a crappy Vulcan lower with a magazine glued in. AR15s were fun, some of them pretty nice but nothing exceptional. I still fool around with them and put together uppers with parts I buy blemished, on sale with good discounts, used or closeout but my interest has flipped mostly to the 6.5 Creedmoor which I started with in 2012.

Maybe it's because I never had a solidly sub MOA AR15 that I tend toward my Creedmoor but my latest budget AR upper build is hopefully going to be sub MOA so maybe I'll flip back?

In my opinion a well rounded AR collection needs a beater (nothing fancy but solid), a Zombie Apocalypse/SHTF/home defense AR or two (a bit tactical, low power variable or red dot sight, BUIS, high quality BCG and barrel, nice furniture, good trigger), something that hunts (high power variable scope, nice drop in trigger, free float tube, maybe 6.8 SPC), something for punching paper (heavy barrel, free float, nice scope, nice trigger), maybe a big bore and maybe something for competition if you're in to that.

If you want to step up to the LR308 type, that can take over the hunting and punching paper roles or even the Zombie Apocalypse/SHTF if you're not concerned about finding ammo or it's .308. I'm kind of going this route with my 18" 6.5 Creedmoor.

Reactions: DontWorryScro
I mostly do 3gun competitions and hunting, this is what I like:

AR15 Pistol with with 2 uppers:
- 7.5" .223, for HD, SHTF and fun
- 11" .458 SOCOM, for hogs and super fun, and if limited to 10 rounds in CA, why not go big?

AR15 16" .223 3gun competition rifle (high quality, lightweight, sub-moa)

AR10 style with 2 uppers:
- 16/18" .308 3gun heavy, hunting upper
- 20/22/24" 6.5CM medium/long range target, maybe PRS upper

Rounded off with bolt guns, 22LRs, pellet guns, airsoft guns, etc.

I got rid of my AR10 rifles, but as of right now, my AR line up is:

-S&W M&P 15-22 with Aimpoint Comp M3 for plinking & rabbits (wicked with those CCI Stingers)

-14.5” 5.56 AR15 with an Aimpoint Micro T1 and SF light for HD/truck gun/occasional 2 gun matches

-18” 223 Wylde AR-15 with Gen2 Razor 1-6 for 2 gun matches/messing around out to 6-700 yds

-20” 6.5 Grendel AR-15 with Cronus BTR 4.5-29 for deer hunting, local long range matches, and practice to 1030 yds (farthest my range goes)

I’m happy with it for now and feel like I have my bases covered. For larger game hunting or long range matches/practice, I always have my bolt guns for that.

I mostly do 3gun competitions and hunting, this is what I like:

AR15 Pistol with with 2 uppers:
- 7.5" .223, for HD, SHTF and fun
- 11" .458 SOCOM, for hogs and super fun, and if limited to 10 rounds in CA, why not go big?

AR15 16" .223 3gun competition rifle (high quality, lightweight, sub-moa)

AR10 style with 2 uppers:
- 16/18" .308 3gun heavy, hunting upper
- 20/22/24" 6.5CM medium/long range target, maybe PRS upper

Rounded off with bolt guns, 22LRs, pellet guns, airsoft guns, etc.

I've seen .458 SOCOM come up enough that I think at the very least I may go ahead and buy a complete .458 SOCOM upper from somewhere like Tromix to swap in on the AR I already own. The "spare" vacant AR15 lower I have is fitted with a Luth-AR stock and a LaRue MBT-2S so it's sort of set up for something like a 6.5G. I was thinking anything precision/distance geared like 6.5 Grendel or .224 Valkyrie could go on that one. This way I don't have to swap out stocks and tubes etc.

AR10 decision is still up in the air, however. I'll wait for some epiphany, probably. As it stands it's either get rid of it, make it a 16" .308 Battle rifle or go all in with a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor.