• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best or favorite .17HMR's?

PGG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
North Texas
I have a couple now a Volquartzen 10/22 17HMR I love plus two savage bolt actions one pistol one rifle. I really like the savage rifle a Bsev SS but I HATE the super cheap crappy magazine part of these guns. I might want to step up to a finer bolt action one maybe a cooper or a Ruger 77/22. What I am wondering is are there other really good choices out there I should look at that I am not thinking of? I use them mostly for Pdog shoots and will use a suppressor on it when legal so I will want the barrel threaded for 1/2x28. I prefer SS since it is a ranch gun and will get cleaned once a year. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks PG

Re: Best or favorite .17HMR's?

I have had the Ruger 77/17 hmr since its release in 2002 I want to say. I LOVE THE GUN. My very first gun was when I was in 6th grade way back when and my dad got me the Ruger 77/22, so I naturally wanted to keep going with the 77 series. I also have the 77/22 hornet.
The 77/17 is just an outstanding little shooter. 200 yards is no problem at all for the round as most of you know. The Ruger is a bit pricey over the savage and the Marlins maybe, but it is SOLID! Built just like its big brothers....

I have a Marlin and an Anschutz 1517. They shoot about the same, with the Annie getting a slight edge with the right ammo. I like the Annie more because of the superior fit and finish and the better stock, but mags are out of this world expensive and it cost me twice what the Marlin did. For fun, you aren't losing much with a Marlin or Savage.

Rugers have tons of aftermarket stuff for someone looking to pimp their 17. I was looking to get one and do just that, but I decided that with all of the money I planned to put into it, I would be better off just buying the Anschutz.

I have had 3 savage 93s, a btvs, a gv, and a classic. I sold all but the btvs because I liked the stainless. The gv was probably the best shooter from the factory for some reason, but I have replaced the stock and the trigger on the btvs and it's great now. A lot of fun from 50-200 although the wind really hates the 17gr bullet.

I like my Savage it shoots great but I hate the magazines and the mag well it feels so cheap and stamped etc. Just thinking I would like one real nice one. I have not held a cooper but have seen images that look great. PG

I have two Savage 93's. One FVSS the other FSS and I love them. Can't see putting too much into these guns but they do make one heck of a squirrel killer.

I think the cooper is pretty much alone on the top of the heap if you want a ss barrel. The 22 s I owned were very impressive on both performance and fit/finish. I would say that coopers seem be a little on the smaller side. If your a big guy you might find the trigger/grip saftey just a hair small.

ruger 77/17 is a step up from sav/marlin for my .02

I Love my Savage 93R17 TR it will drive tacks, but just like PGG said the Mags are crap. I know its not available in stainless but the CZ 452 is a nice one as well. Just my 2cents.

I would give up on the stainless I guess but man why did they make the mags and mag release etc so cheap on the Savages. Wasnt someone going to make a custom rimfire action? I might go that route for one really fine one some day. PG

My vote goes to the CZ 452 Varmint. Not stainless but a dang heck of a tack driver right out of the box. Decent trigger for a factory gun as well. Good fit and finish. Way less money than the Cooper or Anshoots. Little less than the Ruger and slightly higher than the Savages or Marlins.

I really enjoy my Savage 93R BTVSS - feels good, fits me well, shoots well (right at 1 MOA with virtually everything except the CCI hollowpoints - 5 round groups). I'm hoping that improves as I break it in. Yeah, the magazine and release (and bottom metal) are a little cheesy, but I have not had any functional problems. Just last weekend we were shooting out to 350 yards in a decent wind (about 15 MOA left windage). I bought it with the BSA Sweet 17 just to have something on it to start, but that scope works surprisingly well. I had to run an adjustment card for actual yardage versus scope yardage due primarily to my elevation I suspect, but I'm pleased with the setup.

Good luck on finding something you like.

"Best" is subjective but as you can tell, SAVAGE works for me.

Seeing as how I am picking up my first .17 on Friday...

I'm going to say that my favorite is a Marlin 917VT.

My savage 93 BTVS is a dream to shoot. But I cant ask the squirrels how it turned out for them since they dont have heads.

CZ-452 American ....I didn't get the Varmint Bull barrel as I don't intend on any gnatsazz target shooting and wanted a lightweight little carry gun..
for the price ($350) the fit ,finish & Accuracy are superb in my opinion , but only other rimfires I have are a couple old .22 gallery rifles and several Winchester 69A's so I'm really out of touch with the current market :)

ps: they also offer a model 455 with both .22 & 17HMR Barrels for around $400

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ If you've never shot one before, prepare to be addicted! </div></div>

Yep, it's a first time for me. I've got an opportunity to pick the 917VT from a buddy from a pretty decent price, and figured that since I don't have one yet, then it might be just about time I did.

What do you think about that Boyds Tacticool on your 917? Some love them while others just think that they are just ok, but what do you think about the "fit"?

I have a 93R17 BV that I really like. It was between Savage and CZ when I picked mine up, but they didn't have a CZ with a heavy barrel and wide forearm so I went with the Savage. So far I haven't been disappointed.
17hmr003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ If you've never shot one before, prepare to be addicted! </div></div>

Yep, it's a first time for me. I've got an opportunity to pick the 917VT from a buddy from a pretty decent price, and figured that since I don't have one yet, then it might be just about time I did.

What do you think about that Boyds Tacticool on your 917? Some love them while others just think that they are just ok, but what do you think about the "fit"? </div></div>

You'll definitely be pleased with a 917. The tacticool stock was a great fit. Totally drop in. It changed my accuracy some, but just cause it's a different stock. Sometimes you sort of have to relearn how to shoot it. I definitely like it overall.

Remington 504t in .17hmr and you can custom make new mags out of Remington 597 magnum magazines pics later maybe if you guys are lucky

Ruger 77 all the way... just can't beat them. The price is double what you pay for a Savage but if you are going to use it then spend a little more $ for piece of mind. Savage shoots great but Ruger just is a lot smoother.

I'm just starting to look for a .17 HMR and just found this thread so I thought I would ask a few questions.

Really liking the looks of the CZ lineup of rimfires and also the Sako Quad, do any of these come with a threaded barrel?

Also does anyone know if Kimber makes a .17? If so, how are they quality wise?

Thanks

I'm running a Marlin 917VSF with a Rifle Basix trigger, Boyd's Tacticool that I bonded inserts & an accushot rail up front and a flushcup in the back, added a Karsten cheekrest, and a DIP 25 MOA base with Burris Signature Zee rings and an SWFA 5-20HD scope. It's my go-to squirrel gun for properties too small so safely shoot my .223.

The machining on the bolt and inside the receiver might be a little rough in spots but the bolt action is smooth, the mags are reliable, and it's never let me down in the field even after getting tons of dust and dirt in it from riding around on a quad in the summer months.

Is a Sako or CZ made better? I've shot Marlin, Savage, CZ, and Sako 17's. The CZ is nicer than the Marlin & Savage and the Sako is nicer than all of them. However the Marlin is very accurate, reliable, and gets the job done for a reasonable price.

I'd still like to build up a Sako Quad in a Manners T4 though, the Sako is a *very* nice rifle!

marlin.jpg

One of the first hurdles to overcome is the cost.......just forget that the 17 HMR costs like one round of .223, then you'll be OK. Hardly any zero change from 50 to 100 yards, reduced ricochets are to my liking. CZ is a excellent choice, great wood, stone those rails for a better action.......Anschutz makes a great rifle IMHO. xray9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the first hurdles to overcome is the cost.......just forget that the 17 HMR costs like one round of .223, then you'll be OK.</div></div>

$9/50 for Hornady 17gr vmax if you look around-- or about 0.18/round.

Not as cheap as mid-range match .22lr at $4.25/50 for sure, but still less than decent .223.

Decent .223 varmint ammo, say Hornady 50gr Vmax .223 is about $16 for a box of 20 or about 0.85/round.

My .223 reloads, assuming free brass, run about 0.29/round given current component prices.

Unless I missed something big, the .17hmr is cheaper to shoot than .223 and as mentioned sometimes there are noise or safety concerns (houses or buildings too close) where a .223 or other centerfire is too big but the .17hmr is just right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xray9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hardly any zero change from 50 to 100 yards, reduced ricochets are to my liking. </div></div>

With a 135Y zero on my Marlin 917 (1.0" high at 100Y) the POI is within +/- 1" of POA from 15Y to 155Y, -2.8" at 175Y, and -5.5" at 200Y. Makes for very quick and easy critter blasting out in the field as long as your wind calls are good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a 40x rebarreled to 17hmr?</div></div>

I had thought about doing that. I am wondering if the action would hold up. The pressures on the 17 HMR are a lot higher than a standard 22LR. That said, the 40X is a pretty solid action. It feels a lot more solid than my Anschutz 64 that is running a 17HMR.