• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best out of box accuracy for NRL22 comp

Firemandivi

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
NY...at least it ain't California
As the title says I'm looking for the best out of the box accuracy I can get for the NRL22 base competitions. I've been looking at the CZs mostly. I know Tikka makes a good rifle but I haven't heard good things about there stocks and most people it seems change the stocks out right away. I'm a big fan of thumbhole stocks or any pistol grip stock, I've been leaning towards the CZ 455 thumbhole. So tell me without changing the barrel or stock or bedding the rifle, which 22 is typically the most accurate right out of the box for around $600 or less. Thank you for any input you can give me.

Couple of guys here have bought the pistol grip for Tikka and also the aftermarket adjustable cheek pad. Not exactly out of the box, but below $600. Sounds good to me.

Just pointing out, not sure how good CZ stocks are. I think they have some model with a real stock but I guess they want more dimes for the package.

I own a 455 and a t1x. They are equally accurate out of the box with Eley Target ammo. I like the tikka stock and trigger a little better than the cz, as well as the bolt throw and mags of the tikka. However- I'm continuing to have ejection issues out of my tikka, and I can't think of even one mishap in my 455.

Whatever you do, don't buy a 455 and then try to shoot Base class. The 455 is a discontinued rifle now and as such, it defaults to Open class. Depending on when it was discontinued, you may be able to finish the 2019 Base class season with it, but come June, you'll be in Open for sure! The 457's lower bolt lift and trigger make it the better rifle in my opinion. My 457's cycle way smoother than my 455's as well.

Reactions: Maverick3009
I currently shoot the Tikka. Love it! I did go with the pistol grip and the beaver tail for the fore end.
The trigger is phenomenal and the bolt is excellent also. Added a Yodave trigger spring and I'm down to a 14oz pull weight.
As for extraction issues, I haven't personally had any but after reading about a few I polished the extractor and removed the burs and it's been great.
Good luck with whatever you choose

As the title says I'm looking for the best out of the box accuracy I can get for the NRL22 base competitions. I've been looking at the CZs mostly. I know Tikka makes a good rifle but I haven't heard good things about there stocks and most people it seems change the stocks out right away. I'm a big fan of thumbhole stocks or any pistol grip stock, I've been leaning towards the CZ 455 thumbhole. So tell me without changing the barrel or stock or bedding the rifle, which 22 is typically the most accurate right out of the box for around $600 or less. Thank you for any input you can give me.
Thumbhole stocks aren't a good option simply for the fact that occassionally you will have to shoot support side (lefty if you're righty and vice versa). While thumbhole stocks feel good using as intended, try gripping a righty model lefty, it's awful.

I think the CZ and Tikka are about on par accuracy wise. I like the CZ 457 platform. Trigger can be adequacy tuned out of the box. At-One and Pro Varmint are great budget options, Precision Trainer is even nicer. Plus, lots of really good aftermarket stock and barrel options if you want to upgrade down the road.

Reactions: DRAGON64
I just got a CZ 457 ProVarmint for NRL22 base class. Haven't taken it to a match yet but so far setting it up I have zero complaints. The stock is a Boyds ProVarmint, the action was a hair loose from the factory as I noticed the barrel had a little side to side movement, checked torque on the action screws (CZ-USA recommends 25in-lbs to 30in-lbs from what I've read) and it tightened right up. Unfortunately for base class you cannot replace or modify the stock so for that reason I chose the CZ.
82782535_595765124552249_3250112554449502208_n.jpg

Reactions: JBattles
I just got a CZ 457 ProVarmint for NRL22 base class. Haven't taken it to a match yet but so far setting it up I have zero complaints. The stock is a Boyds ProVarmint, the action was a hair loose from the factory as I noticed the barrel had a little side to side movement, checked torque on the action screws (CZ-USA recommends 25in-lbs to 30in-lbs from what I've read) and it tightened right up. Unfortunately for base class you cannot replace or modify the stock so for that reason I chose the CZ.View attachment 7226530
You can make mods to get a correct cheek height and should. 22lr can be finicky about parallax error.

You can make mods to get a correct cheek height and should. 22lr can be finicky about parallax error.

You are correct, I was referring to swapping stocks, fore end rails, etc. I was even told that we're not allowed to add flush caps unless they're taking the spot of a sling swivel that was already there.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't buy a 455 and then try to shoot Base class. The 455 is a discontinued rifle now and as such, it defaults to Open class. Depending on when it was discontinued, you may be able to finish the 2019 Base class season with it, but come June, you'll be in Open for sure! The 457's lower bolt lift and trigger make it the better rifle in my opinion. My 457's cycle way smoother than my 455's as well.

Interesting. i learned something new. I didn't know that once a rifle is discontinued it defaults to open class.

Interesting. i learned something new. I didn't know that once a rifle is discontinued it defaults to open class.

Yup, it's because in order to participate in base class, the combined MSRP of your rifle and scope needs to be below $1050. If a rifle is discontinued, then they cannot look up an accurate MSRP cost. Theoretically newly discontinued firearms like the 455 should be fine since they SHOULD be able to remember the MSRP but they probably won't go for it.

Reactions: themightytimmah
CZ or Tikka, either rifle is more accurate than necessary for the course of fire. Both will print 5-shot groups within the NRL targets, and both should be capable of hitting a small KYL at 25-50 yards.

The biggest difference is whether you prefer the full size rifle feel of the Tikka or the traditional .22 feel of the CZ.

Reactions: littlepod
Tikka and CZ 457 are both phenomenal shooters.

Based on my experience with the At-One stock on the 457, SKIP IT. IT'S TRASH. The stock doesn't have enough cheek riser height for me to even use low rings on a 30mm scope. I ended up putting mine in an XLR Element, but I knew from the beginning I wouldn't be base, because it's not my style. I have to have an arca rail, which immediately puts you in open class.

Also, I lowered my trigger weight substantially with the factory setup, but it would not cock half the time. On one stage, I had to raise and lower the bolt handle three times for it to cock. Bought the yodave spring and fixed my issue, however I could not use the lock but that usually goes on the trigger weight adjustment set screw, so I put it back in with some vibra-tite (similar to loctite, bit gums instead of hardening so it can be reused without a huge hassle like loctite).

Buddy put his Tikka in a Bravo and that fucker shoots too, so either way you go, you'll do fine.

I thought for sure that a CZ 455 or 452 would be able to compete in base as long as the scope was under $400 I didn't think it would be a problem. I'm leaning towards the CZ 457 ProVarmint as I would really want to replace the Tikka stock and then its getting pricey. I've seen a few other choices out there with the Ruger Precision and Savage MKII but I'm thinking in my price range the CZ is still the way to go. Do you guys have any other choices in that price range.

I thought for sure that a CZ 455 or 452 would be able to compete in base as long as the scope was under $400 I didn't think it would be a problem. I'm leaning towards the CZ 457 ProVarmint as I would really want to replace the Tikka stock and then its getting pricey. I've seen a few other choices out there with the Ruger Precision and Savage MKII but I'm thinking in my price range the CZ is still the way to go. Do you guys have any other choices in that price range.

That’s the champ for base class if you don’t like the Tikka stock.

I have a T1x and a CZ452, not tried the 457 though.
I wouldn't get a CZ 452/455 purely as the high bolt lift can be a real pain in the area, the safety is also annoying.

I really like the Tikka stock for a traditional style stock but I have quite a few modifications to mine.
The standard (longer) T3 butt pad to increase the LOP is a must have IMO, the vertical grip too.
The wide forend helps with positional or sling shooting but isn't required.
I've also added a cheek riser which is required IMO when using a scope bigger than 44mms objective.

If you can afford a CZ457 in the manners stock I'd likely go that route, but I do really like my Tikka.

I have both and like both. I have had more success with the Tikka. Tikka has been more accurate out of the ones I have had, which consist of 3 Tikka's and 2 457's. 457 has controlled round feeding which is a lot better than the Tikka's push feed. Ejection is also generally better with the 457, I say this because I have had to work on all my Tikka's to correct the ejection but they are now 100%. Both 457 I have had was good from the start.

Knowing "then" what I know "now", I'd still buy the Tikka first.

I just went through this, wanting to have a base class rifle in hopes of shooting open and base at local matches. I don't care about the Base score as much as just wanting to shoot more in each match.

I had a hard time deciding between the 457 Pro Varmint and the Tikka, but ended up going with the CZ. I mainly chose the CZ due to the stock and the fact that I already had a lot of CZ 10 round magazines for my 452's and 455's.

You will lovethe CZ. Here are a couple suggestions. BSCAR rail. Check into Area 419 bolt knobs. I didn’t like the little ball that came on it. Also Add a cheek pack on it to raise the height. This a great one for about $35. The pouch is great for the bolt, spare mags, etc.

Attachments

• A499D769-7C52-468E-BCC7-0F6843E3F4E6.jpeg
    A499D769-7C52-468E-BCC7-0F6843E3F4E6.jpeg
    914.6 KB · Views: 81
You will lovethe CZ. Here are a couple suggestions. BSCAR rail. Check into Area 419 bolt knobs. I didn’t like the little ball that came on it. Also Add a cheek pack on it to raise the height. This a great one for about $35. The pouch is great for the bolt, spare mags, etc.

I second all of that, I went with the Area 419 rail (30moa) and most places if you buy the 419 rail, they give you a few bucks off the bolt knob (it was either $5 or $10, I can't remember and then I went with a stock pack from Triad Tactical but that's just personal preference.

If this is true, NRL is going down the road of IPSC/USPSA. IPSC started going full custom just to compete. I got out because it was going to cost me $3800 to build a Hi Cap gun to stay in the game. They started production class that saved the sport.
If shooters can't use the gun they have , because it is no longer made, and have to buy a new gun to stay in the sport. NRL is going to loose shooters. A lot people think they need a Vudoo to shoot these match, they don't. NRL needs to remember the Base class carries the whole sport.

Mark

If this is true, NRL is going down the road of IPSC/USPSA. IPSC started going full custom just to compete. I got out because it was going to cost me $3800 to build a Hi Cap gun to stay in the game. They started production class that saved the sport.
If shooters can't use the gun they have , because it is no longer made, and have to buy a new gun to stay in the sport. NRL is going to loose shooters. A lot people think they need a Vudoo to shoot these match, they don't. NRL needs to remember the Base class carries the whole sport.

Mark

Hey Mark...

I couldn't agree more that you don't need a Vudoo to compete. I'm not sure if folks really feel that way, or if they simply want what's perceived as "the best", or simply need to keep up with the Jones', or... The list goes on and on.

Don't get me wrong, a Vudoo is an incredible rifle. Mike Bush has done some terrific work in it's design and execution. However, there's always something or someone that is bigger, badder, or better, right? I can't think of a single mass producer of rifles that has done a better job of improving and inovating to stay on top. Kudos to Mike Bush and the gang!

As far as I'm concerned, my home built CZ 457 VPT/Lilja keeps me in the mix against some of the nation's best shooters and their Vudoos every month. The reason that I haven't bought a Vudoo yet is that I'm stubborn and refuse to fall in line with everyone else as long as I can keep up while shooting something else. Fortunately for Vudoo, guys like me are a very small minority. Haha!

As for the NRL22.. They have to draw the line somewhere. Anyone that wants to shoot base class has the rules available and $1050.00 to spend against the msrp of a rifle and scope. I think that's it's a pretty reasonable amount to spend on an introductory rig. Tyler Frehner has said that Base class was never intended as a place for folks to stay. It is intended as a place to start and then as a shooter becomes more experienced, they should move up to Open class. He also said that the NRL22 encourages that but will not enforce it. So, in my way of thinking, the rules are plain and posted for all to see. If someone wants to stay in base class, then that's just fine. They know that their rifle and scope will be discontinued eventually and then they will need to either re-kit themselves with current production gear or move up to Open class. The NRL22 will no doubt lose a few competitors over it. But, as it currently stands, they gain new shooters faster than they lose them. This country is founded on our freedom of choice. Competitors have their choices to make, and the NRL22 has it's choices to make as an organization. I guess we'll have to see where everyone's choices lead them.

Last edited:
Dfoosking,
I do not have NRL close to me. I do have long range steel matches.

NRL has changed the rules a few time. I know they need to draw a line. But if a guy has a gun just outside the limits he is going to say "I'm not going the shoot in a class with a Vudoo and not come to the matches. Why not have a Factory class ( with limits on high end guns, no limits on scopes) Modified class with stock change, Barrel replacement etc. No high end guns. Open class, custom actions and high end guns.

I ran centerfire long range matches, I had Pure Factory ( Trigger job and bedding only, no high end guns like 40X, Cooper, etc.), Mod Factory ( rebarrel, stock change, Etc), and Custom classes ( Custom action and any thing goes, just a weight limit)

I’ve not shot any of the 22 steel shoots but the videos I have watch kinda lead me to believe that a semi auto is the way to go. Accuracy wise probably not the best choice although some shoot pretty darn good. Not having to break position much would be a plus.
I like shooting the 22s I chamber in Bench rest and I really enjoy shooting them long range. 400 yards with a 22 is a hoot

Reactions: TheMightyGorilla