• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best overall caliber for long range shooting

Yeah that would be expensive round go to
We usually go with Norma, Lapua, Peterson etc brass anyway to get the best when can. With the Weatherby cases it just doesn't give you a choise. All other components are the same. My 460WBY mag is $160 a box. Got to love reloading! Casting my own 525gr gas checked bullets I can get down to $8 a box.

Reactions: BCX
I recently added a 7mm Rem mag to the mix and will start doing ladder test soon. Should be a very versatile cartridge.

It's great to have a few more tools in the toolbox. I now have 7 that range from 17hmr and 375 cheytac imp.

Had more rifles just decreased the amount. I acturally would like to get to 2 use them for hunting and target. Spend more time with the 2 lol

If you are already single loading rounds what about a 300 rum or the 338 edge and keep your same bolt face.
And just keep the shorter range gun while adding distance to the larger gun

There's trade offs with everything...especially with barrel life vs. performance. IMO for what you're doing the 300 win is already a pretty solid round. Maybe the 230 A-tip would extend your range a bit farther?

I just picked up a .338 Edge. Seems like a good round. The Norma brass is only good for about 5 reloads with how hot they are loaded. It shoots a 300gr Berger at 2,880fps. I haven’t really shot it past 1,000 yet to see how well it will perform, but Applied Ballistics says it should stay supersonic to about 2500 yards or so.

Way too heavy to hunt with though. I believe the whole setup is around 25lbs.

I shoot 6.5 CM and 338 primarily, so I would have to also say one caliber for everything is not really the ideal way to go.

Anyone mess with the 30 nosler?

I have a 30 Nosler, and no longer shoot my 338LM or 300WM rifles. Cartridge is a better design, more efficient cartridge than the 300 PRC. Plus there are 3 or 4 companies providing quality brass. I'm launching the Berger 230-gr Target Hybrids at 2930-fps. Not saying the 300 PRC is any slouch, just believe the 30 Nosler is better.

If you're already running a 300WM, I would stick with that. Great cartridge, but in my opinion, the cartridge doesn't provide any benefit if you plan on shooting anything heavier than a 215-gr bullet.

As far as barrel life, a 300WM barrel will last longer than a 7 SAUM or 7 RM, as I have first hand experience. Won't be getting rid of my 300WM's anytime soon, and will be building another 7 SAUM as soon as I get an action ordered.

Lots of cartridges out there, and they all have pros and cons.

Reactions: DIBBS and wildcats
I have a 30 Nosler, and no longer shoot my 338LM or 300WM rifles. Cartridge is a better design, more efficient cartridge than the 300 PRC. Plus there are 3 or 4 companies providing quality brass. I'm launching the Berger 230-gr Target Hybrids at 2930-fps. Not saying the 300 PRC is any slouch, just believe the 30 Nosler is better.

If you're already running a 300WM, I would stick with that. Great cartridge, but in my opinion, the cartridge doesn't provide any benefit if you plan on shooting anything heavier than a 215-gr bullet.

As far as barrel life, a 300WM barrel will last longer than a 7 SAUM or 7 RM, as I have first hand experience. Won't be getting rid of my 300WM's anytime soon, and will be building another 7 SAUM as soon as I get an action ordered.

Lots of cartridges out there, and they all have pros and cons.
What is your length on the 30 nosler?

Cartridge OAL? Just under 3.70". That's with the bullet seated at the optimal bearing surface/boattail and neck/shoulder junction.

Just an FYI, the 30 Nosler is a shorter case compared to both the 300WM and 300 PRC.

Cartridge OAL? Just under 3.70". That's with the bullet seated at the optimal bearing surface/boattail and neck/shoulder junction.

Just an FYI, the 30 Nosler is a shorter case compared to both the 300WM and 300 PRC.
My 300 win mag with 225 eld m is at 3.787 very long to get more performance. But that 30 nosler looks good

Do you have to use cip mags?

Yes, using 338LM CIP mags, so the cartridge has room to grow.
Awesome thank you. Mine i have to single shot it no mag to fit that length. I have a rem 700 long action greyboe ridgeback so just need to get different bottom metal to take cip mags

Reactions: Alpine 338
Trying to find a great all around hunting rig and a fun shooter out to a mile, I landed on the 300 Norma mag.

I shoot a 230gr Berger Hybrid at 3050fps. Its the easiest one mile gun I've played with. Recoil allows me to shoot it all day. It's a stone cold killer on elk. I can ease it down to a 190gr for mulies and closer steel.

It's a pretty good choice.

What barrel length?

My 28" .300NM finds pressure if I push the 230 Berger's much past 2950 fps. Though my barrel seems slower then most.

What barrel length?

My 28" .300NM finds pressure if I push the 230 Berger's much past 2950 fps. Though my barrel seems slower then most.

That's a 26" carbon wrapped Proof, 1/9" twist.

My load is 92.6grs of RE33 at 3050fps.

I got a little more velocity out of the 225gr ELD-M, but it shot like hell. So I've stuck with the Bergers ever since.

Reactions: kthomas
It's obvious...

tenor.gif

R26

negative on the hunting but energy on a plate at any distance I’d hurt at is quite a bit more than 308. For not much more recoil.
Re26 is magic powder and went dry. But awesome thank you for info. I figured long action and 7mm saum would be good. What barrel life you getting?

Re26 is magic powder and went dry. But awesome thank you for info. I figured long action and 7mm saum would be good. What barrel life you getting?
1st barrel so no clue.
in a long action H1000/7977 would be awesome.
A bit crunchy in a short action.

Absolute best overall: 20x102. 1496 gr @ 3410fps.

I use a 338 edge for lr and a 45-70 for short range.

Reactions: Bandit320
If you have a stock of 6.5x55 lapua brass make it an AI version and next barrel make a 7 or 7.5 twist for the 150 smk, 147/153 eld's or 156 berger. Spec a reamer for one of those and you will cover out to a mile fine. It has the cheapest lapua brass out there. It will run 3000fps just like the 6.5-284.
Your 300 win with a good reamer like mentioned above will need cip or wyatts mbe 2. If you goto the Nosler/rum norma case mbe3. You may need some work on your feed ramp and bolt stop depending on your particular rifle.

If you have a stock of 6.5x55 lapua brass make it an AI version and next barrel make a 7 or 7.5 twist for the 150 smk, 147/153 eld's or 156 berger. Spec a reamer for one of those and you will cover out to a mile fine. It has the cheapest lapua brass out there. It will run 3000fps just like the 6.5-284.
Your 300 win with a good reamer like mentioned above will need cip or wyatts mbe 2. If you goto the Nosler/rum norma case mbe3. You may need some work on your feed ramp and bolt stop depending on your particular rifle.
Remington 700 long action

Remington 700 long action
You'd have to look at the opening to determine if you'd need the work to benefit from the bigger boxes. Take the action out of the stock and open your bolt. Measure how big the opening from the bottom and that will determine what if anything is needed

That seems like an awful lot of work..

Why not just shoot a 6.5-284? Or one of the new Sherman's? Far simpler, same or better performance.

short action.
28” barrel.
180 eldm’s at 2940.
I just inspected my 6.5 PRC barrel and its showing more wear than i expected at 800 rounds. Im debating about pulling it this winter and going 7 SAUM or 300 WSM.

I just inspected my 6.5 PRC barrel and its showing more wear than i expected at 800 rounds. Im debating about pulling it this winter and going 7 SAUM or 300 WSM.
I figured the 6.5 prc wasnt gonna be much better than 6.5-284. Thanks for update.

that was one of the reasons I didn’t do a 6.5 magnum.
Not that my 7 saum will be significantly better.

300 MSM doesn’t seem to be able to push a bullet with 7mm 180 type BC to a similar speed but it’s still no slouch.

300 MSM doesn’t seem to be able to push a bullet with 7mm 180 type BC to a similar speed but it’s still no slouch.
My buddy is building a 7mm saum he swears 1800 rds he thought he could get idk. But the sheman cases look very intriguing the 300 ss maxx

My buddy is building a 7mm saum he swears 1800 rds he thought he could get idk. But the sheman cases look very intriguing the 300 ss maxx

I’d be ecstatic with 1800,,,,, I’m thinking less though.
SS case looks awesome but your locked in on dies and brass and R26 makes the saum easy peasy and it runs in mags just fine.

I’d be ecstatic with 1800,,,,, I’m thinking less though.
SS case looks awesome but your locked in on dies and brass and R26 makes the saum easy peasy and it runs in mags just fine.
Yeah the price of dies and brass is a killer. Yeah i think its more like 1400ish specially with re26

I’m glad I came across this thread! I have been into 6.5Cm for over a year, now reloading. Rifle is a bone stock Tikka TAC A1 with a SWFA 10x44. I’m getting ready to buy a BH Origin LA. I was going to barrel it up with a 24” Bartlein in .300 PRC. I want to drop the barreled action into an Oryx chassis. As my max range would be no more than 1400yrds, is .300WM a better option? The rifle will be used for hunting Elk and brown bear, as well as ringing steel. I keep reading the Hornady brass sucks for reloading with .300 PRC. With Hornady the only ammo manufacturer I don’t want to be stuck with limited factory ammo choices for hunting. Please give me your opinions as I’m still new to 1,000yr shooting. Yeah I’m getting a NF 6-24 for the Tikka.

I’m glad I came across this thread! I have been into 6.5Cm for over a year, now reloading. Rifle is a bone stock Tikka TAC A1 with a SWFA 10x44. I’m getting ready to buy a BH Origin LA. I was going to barrel it up with a 24” Bartlein in .300 PRC. I want to drop the barreled action into an Oryx chassis. As my max range would be no more than 1400yrds, is .300WM a better option? The rifle will be used for hunting Elk and brown bear, as well as ringing steel. I keep reading the Hornady brass sucks for reloading with .300 PRC. With Hornady the only ammo manufacturer I don’t want to be stuck with limited factory ammo choices for hunting. Please give me your opinions as I’m still new to 1,000yr shooting. Yeah I’m getting a NF 6-24 for the Tikka.
I’d still go 300 prc.
ADG brass is in the works and a lot of people are having good results with hornandy brass.

300 win mag for cheaper route but prolly needs 26inch barrel in my opinion. Run the 212 eldx great for hunting and high bc. The 300 prc is more of a puncher and i wouldnt over look 30 nosler heard alot of great things

Looking more towards a crossover rifle w hunting in mind, 300 WSM will always have a higher killing factor (TKO) in my experience.

Im not one to sit for days running numbers. losing sleep and driving myself NUTS lol.

I have 2-338 LM AI built and nothing can compare on a short action.

Looking more towards a crossover rifle w hunting in mind, 300 WSM will always have a higher killing factor (TKO) in my experience.

Im not one to sit for days running numbers. losing sleep and driving myself NUTS lol.

I have 2-338 LM AI built and nothing can compare on a short action.

Not that a 180 7mm at 2900+ is a slouch at dropping animals, I can totally understand a 30 caliber bullet choice for hunting.

Getting off topic now! Alway been a fan of 7MM - 458 cal for hunting. Have killed plenty w sub 30 cal calibers over the years, just prefer a Barnes TTSX and 30 cal or bigger. I know i can break shoulders, stop a bear or use a Texas heart shot if need be.