• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best pack for carrying a heavy rifle

Re: Best pack for carrying a heavy rifle

Define heavy? Barrett? Boys Antitank? TRG-42? Benchrest?

There are lots of options and likely some good advice here... but help us narrow it down.

FYI, I use a Blackhawk drag bag for my TRG-22 (with kit). Mostly resides in a trunk, but it has good shoulder straps for when I have to walk in somewhere.

Cheers,

Sirhr

For an AIAW size rifle a Tac Ops works pretty good.

This is the one I use. Had it for a little while now and love it.

Eberlestock Phantom

Contact this gentleman and he'll help you out.

Ceylon Blackwell
deltaoutdoorsman.com
(901)334-6808

Depends in what else you want to carry with it. If I need to carry a bunch of shit plus rifle, Eberlestock Operator gets the call. If I just need to carryy a little bit of stuff plus the rifle, I am loving the TAD Lightfighter.

Rifle is 21 lbs, so it qualifies as heavy!

Eberlestock terminator is the greatest pack i have ever had. Im a dealer for them and many other brands, so i have seen and used hundreds of packs.

My vote is for the eberlestock terminator I'm looking to get one very soon. I hear nothing but good things

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a very heavy rifle that I would like to carry on/in a back pack. Any sugestions? </div></div>

Eberlestock makes several different packs that could accomodate your weapon. The G4 Operator and Gunslinger II use an integrated scabbard feature, meaning that the scabbard is part of the pack & cannot be removed. The scabbard of these two packs can accomodate a weapon up to 60 inches in length. The Phantom pack also features a large scabbard that can work for a weapon up to 60 inches BUT the scabbard is removable from the pack, making it usuable as a stand alone drag bag or rifle case as well.

If you're considering gear more along the lines of a drag bag in design that can be outfitted with backpack shoulder straps, Eberlestock has a Dynamite Drag Bag and the A4SS Tactical Weapon Scabbard. Both of these items can be used for large, heavy rifles up to 60 inches and are very well made & feature numerous molle webbing tiepoints (you can add pouches, shooting rests, etc).

Bottom line is you have several options out there that will certainly work for your rifle. What do you envision your primary usage for the case/pack? This could narrow down one of them based on your applications.

Best of luck to you.

Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

I would definitely recomend Ceylon as the person to deal with.

Eberlestock without a doubt!! I have the Gunslinger II and love it. The best part about these backpacks is the padding and straps, they make carrying a huge weight effortless and comfortable.

Expensive, but so is chiropractic bills!

I went with the G4 Operator -- it is a big pack and will hold everything that you need... The only drawback is that the more stuff you put in it .. the more it weighs...
smile.gif

The bag is fantastic and would buy it all over again.

You don't need a "rifle backpack" to carry a rifle on your backpack.

http://vimeo.com/channels/mrbh#14016458

http://vimeo.com/channels/mrbh#14015842

http://vimeo.com/channels/mrbh#14005043

They do make a gun bay though if you really gotta have it inside. Yes the 6500 and Crewcab packs piggyback on the gun bay, if you are man enough to carry it all.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.19423/.f?sc=7&category=103493

And your buddy can carry all the ammo with this one, though the Crewcab works very well for stacking ammo cans on your back as well:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.20721/.f?sc=7&category=103493

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it depends on what you want to carry.

Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain
</div></div>

YES!

Need more info as to why you are carrying it. Chiller is spot on when it comes to long movements.

I haven't met a rifle that I cant carry in my GS2 or Operator.

Eberlestock.....top quality. You won't be disappointed.

I have a Eberlestock Phantom and it works great for carrying my 700 or AR, but has way more use for me separated as a drag bag and backpack combo. Nice to know that its there when I need to pack both at the same time though.
I got it from Ceylon also, Great customer service a fantastic person to deal with !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with the G4 Operator -- it is a big pack and will hold everything that you need... The only drawback is that the more stuff you put in it .. the more it weighs...
smile.gif

The bag is fantastic and would buy it all over again.</div></div>

+1 ... couldn't have said it better myself. The G4 is a great pack and is very comfortable with the rifle in the pack -- it's great to trek/move/hike with your hands free.

I have the same problem, though ... a big pack means I put more stuff in it -- and then it's HEAVY.

It's a 23 lb bolt gun I want to be able to pack in several miles with a semi-full pack (survival gear, high energy foods, water, extra socks, rain gear, etc...), and pack out the meat, on foot if needed.

Then Mystery Ranch is your best bet. I've found the suspension system on the Eberlestock wanting when it came to heavy loads.

Ya my weapon is about 20lbs and the G4 Operator works great, at least for me. I carry a leupold spottin scope, tripod, Ammo 100 rounds, Suppressor, Shooting mat, varaiety of tactical gear, cloths and food with a 3 liter hydration blader that fits right into the pack.

I dont feel the weight on my shoulders, but you will feel it in your legs
smile.gif

Never seen or used Mystery Ranch so cant comment on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya my weapon is about 20lbs and the G4 Operator works great, at least for me. I carry a leupold spottin scope, tripod, Ammo 100 rounds, Suppressor, Shooting mat, varaiety of tactical gear, cloths and food with a 3 liter hydration blader that fits right into the pack.
</div></div>
i will give the G4 a big plus on this one... my rifles are close to 20lbs and about 27-33" with the can, and my operator pack handles the, HD camera, Prairie blaster, gps, rangefinder, tripod, ammo, etc... don't know what i did without this pack.

I have an Eberlestock Phantom and only used it on one trip, but it worked great. Thinking about selling it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a very heavy rifle that I would like to carry on/in a back pack. Any sugestions? </div></div>

my solution was to add a biathlon sling and 550 cord on a oversized stock pack for me needfuls and leave the ruck at home.

I'm gonna go the other way and suggest an medium volume mountaineering pack. Most tactical-type packs are super heavy and honestly you don't need molle webbing on every square inch.

I've got a few Osprey packs ranging from about 3500 cu/in down to about 1700 cu/in - the suspension system is great and they are very very durable. I've never had any problems with any of them. You probably won't be able to get one in multicam or coyote brown, but I'd much rather have a light pack with a great suspension system than a really tactical looking pack. I'm sure you could find many ways to attach a rifle for carrying - it's gotta be at least as easy as carrying skis.

... Bit different, definitely not tactical, but I also hike a lot.

I use an Arc'Teryx Silo 40. It's been a fine three day pack and the ski straps work great for my rifle. Arc'Teryx said they can easily hold 30 lbs with no premature wear. I use a Blackhawk scope and muzzle cover on the rifle while its strapped to the bag.

MR gets my vote based on the two I own. Bombproof and the NICE frame can carry a very large load with comfort.

If you don't absolutely need a backpack, I've found that the Slogan Outdoors rubber slings (http://www.sloganoutdoors.com) take some of the perceived weight out. One of their videos also shows how the sling can be split and pulled overhead to wear the rifle like a backpack.

--Rootshot

For the ultimate load this is highly recommended. Here

Iv had my eberlestock operator pack up to about 50 +/- lbs and was used on medium distance hikes (5-10 miles) and i havent had any problems with it. The MR packs seem pretty good also but i have never used one. its gonna come down to what fits you best

Eberlestock, pick the one you like best and load it up. I am kicking my ass for not buying one years ago. I will be getting one or two more different sizes.

Check out Eberlestock... They are designed to pack out meat...add on duffle and extension straps.....I like the Military line because they are constructed out of cordura...good luck hunting!!!

Looking to pick up an Eberlestock Gunslinger 2... looks like a fantastic pack.

Under the top flap of an Alice Ruck. Tried and true.
With the Eberlestock taking a knee is awkward and you can't sit down with the pack on.

Thats a pretty bad ass guitar case.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like this one, and hey it might be for sale </div></div>

bulldog-6.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a 23 lb bolt gun I want to be able to pack in several miles with a semi-full pack (survival gear, high energy foods, water, extra socks, rain gear, etc...), and pack out the meat, on foot if needed. </div></div>

Damn! Have you actually tried carrying that puppy out hunting for a bit? If so, I suspect your safe will turn into the best backpack for it. :) Honestly, even knuckle-dragging SEALs only have 18lb sniper rifles and that is insanely heavy to lug around with the rest of their crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a 23 lb bolt gun I want to be able to pack in several miles with a semi-full pack (survival gear, high energy foods, water, extra socks, rain gear, etc...), and pack out the meat, on foot if needed. </div></div>

Damn! Have you actually tried carrying that puppy out hunting for a bit? If so, I suspect your safe will turn into the best backpack for it. :) Honestly, even knuckle-dragging SEALs only have 18lb sniper rifles and that is insanely heavy to lug around with the rest of their crap. </div></div>

Once you train for it, it's not that big of deal. Even my .243WSSM pushes 16lbs with my new glass, the suppressor and a full mag. I walk around with that every year for hunting. Everything from coyotes to big game.
Once your body is conditioned for it, it's really not that big of deal.
For ME, 25-30 lbs of rifle and gear is the most I ever need, but I've seen skinney pack 50+ lbs for a hell of a long ways. Not my cup of tea, but he's a flippin work horse that trains for that kind of load.

call Ceylon at Delta outdoorsman

Also . big plus+ one on '<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">Ceylon</span></span>' .
He will treat you right. & if he does not have it in-stock, He will round-it-up & get it to you .