• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best paint for sponge on camo pattern?

jrsandiego12

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2020
San Diego, CA
Does anyone have experience doing sponge on camo paint? Like on the Manners or Springfield Armory type. I have an AG Composite stock in dark colors and I want to add some white / off-white to lighten up the camo pattern. Which paint would be best?

Reactions: 338dude
I use the little sample containers of Behr Premium Outdoor paint from Home Depot. I think it’s for fences and decks etc. Apply with ripped off pieces of natural sponge from the craft store.

Super easy application and holds up well to abuse.

Here’s a Ridgeback I did with it a while ago:

9E0BF56D-6396-411F-B97E-5A1E3C9C4F92.jpeg

Perfect - thank you for letting me know. I'm psyched to do it :) Yours is about what I'm aiming for.
Best piece of advice - after you dip the sponge in the paint, splotch it on a piece of cardboard or something before dabbing the stock. It’s easy to get it too saturated and it washes out the sponge pattern.

Less is really more in this case… let some of the base color show through and don’t go overboard with how many spots you do.

I used various high quality spray paints. Spray a puddle on a plate and dip the sponge. The real trick is learning how to add dimension with layers. It’s really not hard to do you just have to find the technique. I practiced on random things and had a big plan when I started but it all went out the window about halfway through and I just went with it. Turned out better than I hoped. I was actually putting this rifle together for my brother but I like it so much I ended up keeping it and buying him another one lol.
3EC986ED-0FA3-41B7-9A2D-05C9C94F3667.jpeg

A little different. Off the shelf spray camo colors from Wally World. Full coat the stock then add the sponge highlights by spraying into a small container and dipping the sponge with the other colors after the cover coat has set. As mentioned above, splotching the dipped sponge to a piece of cardboard before the stock helps a lot.

IMG_0565.JPG

Thank you,
MrSmith

Best piece of advice - after you dip the sponge in the paint, splotch it on a piece of cardboard or something before dabbing the stock. It’s easy to get it too saturated and it washes out the sponge pattern.

Less is really more in this case… let some of the base color show through and don’t go overboard with how many spots you do.
This for sure. Dab the sponge on scrap before hitting the gun. Find the right amount of pressure to give you dimensions in the splotches(more color in center that fades as it moves outward toward the edges). I had planned for the only black on the rifle to be the base color that was left after sponging but it got to where there wasn’t much black left. So right at the end I took a thin piece of sponge and outlined all of the colors in black which really brought it to life and made it look “done”. One of the hardest parts is deciding when it’s done!

:) All good advice and lessons I've learned in the past the hard way too. "When it's done" One of my best friends is a master at painting and he always has to tell me "quit touching it" lol

3D651A6C-7DC1-4CAF-A6FC-25C72401CF99.jpeg

I guess I don’t have any pictures in better lighting on this phone anymore, but this was my attempt at it just using krylon spray paint matte colors. Just used a dish sponge to apply. I liked how it looked and it held up well. I did use a couple coats of clear coat to protect it too

Reactions: Jgault and 338dude
These 2 were done with Brownells Alumahyde.
After a base coat, I use the same method as PU by spraying a puddle onto a paper plate and dabbing the sponge.

zH2tnM.jpg

3YUZHR.jpg

If you allow the AH to fully cure it’s a very tough finish.

Reactions: Jgault and 338dude
I use the little sample containers of Behr Premium Outdoor paint from Home Depot. I think it’s for fences and decks etc. Apply with ripped off pieces of natural sponge from the craft store.

Super easy application and holds up well to abuse.

Here’s a Ridgeback I did with it a while ago:

View attachment 7917409
What Colors did you use? Im in the Sage Area of Idaho and I like the colors you used.

I have a manners stock I'm thinking about adding to is there anything I would need to do different for the carbon fiber?

This is more of a tiger pattern but the paint is Brownells alumihyde, takes a while to cure but is a incredibly tough paint for scratch resistance.
IMG_5079.jpeg

Reactions: Buckley and 260284
What Colors did you use? Im in the Sage Area of Idaho and I like the colors you used.

Man it’s been like 2+ years since I did that one and to be honest I don’t think I even looked at what they were called at the time. I just picked out 2 colors I liked and went with it.

Somehow my wife thinks she remembers that the dark gray was called “Summer Storm,” and the light/off-white was called “Platinum,” but I have no idea if those are actually the ones I used.

Here’s another stock I did with the same ones. I think I recall wanting to model the Manners Midnight camo fwiw.

5CA48C4B-BB10-4B20-BD22-B1D9284D0F4B-22744-00000F822FE8516E.png

IMG_5147.jpeg

I have a manners stock I'm thinking about adding to is there anything I would need to do different for the carbon fiber?
Nope.

I used Krylon Colormaxx and craft sponges from Hobby Lobby. Sprayed the paint onto some cardboard, dabbed it with the sponge and then dabbed it on the stock a couple times while rotating the sponge. Apply as much or as little as you like.

I didn't bother clear coating the stock after painting it and I haven't had any issues at all.

I use a cheap grout sponge and just tear the corners off of it to mimic a sea sponge.
Krylon and Rustoleum are my "go to" colors and look at other colors in the spray can rack to make it a little different.
There's also the hobby shop if you want to get more exotic for a color pallet.
I use a black paint marker / pen if it needs a bit more shading or even initials, dates, etc.

I'm really dying to try this on a new chassis but curious of removal. Say, 6 months down the road I want to remove the the paint is it easy or a pain?

I'm really dying to try this on a new chassis but curious of removal. Say, 6 months down the road I want to remove the the paint is it easy or a pain?
I would say you'd be able to just wipe it off with acetone, but I haven't actually tried it.

Good Ol fashioned rustoleum spray paint

Attachments

• D4272B68-BF6B-4F7B-B83E-E6225225FEFF.jpeg
    D4272B68-BF6B-4F7B-B83E-E6225225FEFF.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 602069B8-912E-4386-A4A9-D59304F12D68.jpeg
    602069B8-912E-4386-A4A9-D59304F12D68.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 88FE5399-A066-447C-9DD7-CD9A148D44BD.jpeg
    88FE5399-A066-447C-9DD7-CD9A148D44BD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5276.jpeg
    IMG_5276.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
This is rustoleum camo colors and a paint sponge from hobby lobby. I also used a laundry bag for the hex. Just spray a puddle onto a paper plate and dab your sponge. Then dab on cardboard until you have the paint saturation you want, then go to the rifle with it. The hardest part is knowing when to quit.

IMG_0793.jpeg
IMG_0792.jpeg