• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best piston ar15 upper

Re: best piston ar15 upper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the piston systems have some excellent potential and when run with a supressor the adavantages become even greater.

I would love to see the price go down more and I'm sure in time it will and I would really like to see a standardization to it but I dont know if that will happen. LWRC + POF have a track record for reliabilty that almost anyone would envy. I'm not sure how a single unit would become the standard. So many of them are out there and I can forsee a company dropping their model and paying royalties.... to use someone elses design if they do not see a problem with their design.

I really like what M24kinnamon_4c said about when/if a gun ban take takes effect. At that point it will most likely become academic. Besides that it you could have a DI upper also if it was a big enough concern.

I want a piston upper for my rifle but until the price comes down a little more I can't afford to do it yet. That and I want to let the market do it's thing and may the best product dominate the market place. I don't believe that the piston will ever totally replace all DI systems. DI has been around in the AR-15/M-16 rifles for decades and while it does have it's problems with mantainance it keeps on working (and parts are standardized).

Maybe I've just bought in to the piston crown too much?
JMC </div></div>

Have you run a piston upper with a can?

ARs with cans run dirty as hell, piston or no piston. </div></div>

I have. You're right. Piston or not, it's DIRTY. LWRC M6A2 with an AAC M4-1000. Actually two, but only one gets the can.

Routinely I put several hundred through it in between cleaning it (4-600). Brother, it will get gritty bad ass filthy and run like a crackhouse on fire. I have not ran it until stoppage, but have done so with a DI gun.

I chose LWRC partly because they have the most parts-in-common with the DI AR. Same bolt, bolt parts, etc. The carrier is different, but it's a block of metal that will last a dozen lifetimes.

Respectfully, those that hold out that the direct impingement system is the past, present, and forever of small arms aren't considering history. It's an evolutionary process, and advances in technology are both inevitable and welcome.

Consider that the same arguments were made against polymer frame pistols but they are obviously a revolutionary success.

It is telling that there aren't any new rifle platforms being designed with direct impingement technology. It will be around for quite some time but the process for eclipsing it began long ago.

The piston gun cleans up in far less than half the time of my DI guns when more than twice as dirty with ZERO carbon scraping of any surface whatsoever. To me, that is a vast improvement and makes tremendous sense. I own and enjoy shooting both. I haven't found anything that my DI guns can do better than my piston ones.

--Fargo007

</div></div>

does the fact that an AR running a suppressor is dirty be it is a DI rifle or if it is running a piston have more to do with it being a semi auto or does it have something to do with just the AR type platform?
Thanks
JMC

I have a m6a2 and absolutely love it. It's incredibly accurate, well made, robust, runs very clean, recoil is low(I use a fsc30 break) I run it in the 6.8 caliber and love it. POF is nice but lwrc is the cream of the crop imho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 my whole hangup with piston AR's, it goes down where do you get parts? A gas tube, gas rings, or carrier key can be had real fast for real cheap. Which system has more moving parts to fail? </div></div>

Well a properly designed piston gun doesn't have a gas tube, gas rings or separate carrier key. So you won't need any of those spares. Piston designs have less moving parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: howdydoodie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at buying the LWRC M6A3 10.5" for use with a can, I have heard good things about them. I like the adjustable gas block. </div></div>

Whether gas or piston, cans make rifles run dirty. Really dirty!

Spend the money on the piston system if you want, but the advantages to the unsuppressed are far more convincing than to the suppressed crowd. </div></div>

I've run both and my POFs stay a lot cleaner and get a lot less gas blow back when shooting suppressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at getting a POF 6.8 SPC upper for my POF 415. The price is $1475.00 for the 6.8 SPC ( the 5.56 is $1375.00). Also, I have a Robinson XCR in 5.56, so I got the 6.8 SPC barrel conversion kit for $549.00. The two bad things about Robinson XCRs is that they are not every where like the ARs and they need to be broken in. However, they are built like tanks and you can switch barrels and bolts out to change the ammo you want to shoot. You can go from 5.56 to 7.62x39 to 6.8 SPC and they use all the same accessories that ARs use.

So, when looking at value the Robinson XCR sells for $1500 for a new rifle and a POF upper (5.56) sells for $1375.00. A new POF 415, that is comparable to a XCR, sells for $1975.00. For just a little more money you could have a new Robinson XCR and a conversion kit for $2049.00. JMO

Jamie </div></div>

Robinson supported the Assault Weapon Ban signing Romney. (because they both are Mormon I presume.) I wouldn't buy a rifle from them if it was free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUTGERS95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a m6a2 and absolutely love it. It's incredibly accurate, well made, robust, runs very clean, recoil is low(I use a fsc30 break) I run it in the 6.8 caliber and love it. POF is nice but lwrc is the cream of the crop imho </div></div>

POF's are more accurate due to the barrels used.

I'm not convinced to switch to piston guns yet, at least not the AR platform. I would recommend a Noveske Switchblock, which you can get tailored for your specific gas system/barrel length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pistons generally are not good ideas with the M16FOW upper architecture.
Piston guns like bolt carrier rails to prevent carrier tilt, and the DI method despite heating the bolt with gases, the gases pressurize the bolt against the barrel extenstion while piston guns make the bolt point into the rear of the barrel extension.

From my experience Hk has the best piston upper, but are extremely rare and are hugely expensive outside of government.

I still don't believe a piston gun solves anything that a properly designed DI gun won't do. </div></div>

I'm not looking for a pissing contest, but of course you would say "that you don't beleive a piston gun solves anything that a properly designed DI gun won't do." Is it because Knights Armament doesn't build one?

I've stayed out of this argument of who has the best because I know my opinion would be biased. There are quite a few of us on these boards who work in the industry or very close with other industry partners and I think bias opinions should stay out of a thread like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUTGERS95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a m6a2 and absolutely love it. It's incredibly accurate, well made, robust, runs very clean, recoil is low(I use a fsc30 break) I run it in the 6.8 caliber and love it. POF is nice but lwrc is the cream of the crop imho </div></div>

POF's are more accurate due to the barrels used. </div></div>

???? you may be the first person I've ever seen claim this. I do know two people however that sent back pof's and bought different piston AR's one being lwrc to greater satisfaction.

Rutgers, i'm glad you are happy, everyone has their own opinion. I stay out of these arguments about who is best due to me working directly for the company in question. Only knowing 2 people who weren't happy isn't a big percentage, since we sell hundreds of firearms per month.

I know lots of people who aren't happy with LWRC, FN, Bushmaster,Colt, etc... so your statement is unfounded at best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rutgers, i'm glad you are happy, everyone has their own opinion. I stay out of these arguments about who is best due to me working directly for the company in question. Only knowing 2 people who weren't happy isn't a big percentage, since we sell hundreds of firearms per month.

I know lots of people who aren't happy with LWRC, FN, Bushmaster,Colt, etc... so your statement is unfounded at best. </div></div>

I'm not sure where you get that. I am merely referring to the two people who I know had both and commenting on that alone. That's hardly making a broad generalization as you infer. I was actually looking at a pof for .308 so I'm not against pof at all instead I opted for bolt action. As for the barrel remark the previous poster made, I stated as such that it's the first time I've ever heard that. If someone has the data to support that pof has better barrels, I'd love to see it.

My vote for the best

DSC00467.jpg

To quote Ferris Bueller: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

does the fact that an AR running a suppressor is dirty be it is a DI rifle or if it is running a piston have more to do with it being a semi auto or does it have something to do with just the AR type platform?
Thanks
JMC </div></div>

It simply has to do with the suppressor itself, and the effect it has in terms of retaining things that otherwise (in a piston gun) completely exit the system. I have not run a can on other than a semi yet, so I can't compare. But the sandstorm is coming!

--Fargo007

Cost, reliability, quality control, consistency, accuracy, application-there's far too many factors here to do anything more than speculate or offer personal experience.

....bottom line, "trial and error", find what works for you in your price range and needs, and simply shoot it (end note)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUTGERS95</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rutgers, i'm glad you are happy, everyone has their own opinion. I stay out of these arguments about who is best due to me working directly for the company in question. Only knowing 2 people who weren't happy isn't a big percentage, since we sell hundreds of firearms per month.

I know lots of people who aren't happy with LWRC, FN, Bushmaster,Colt, etc... so your statement is unfounded at best. </div></div>

I'm not sure where you get that. I am merely referring to the two people who I know had both and commenting on that alone. That's hardly making a broad generalization as you infer. I was actually looking at a pof for .308 so I'm not against pof at all instead I opted for bolt action. As for the barrel remark the previous poster made, I stated as such that it's the first time I've ever heard that. If someone has the data to support that pof has better barrels, I'd love to see it. </div></div>

Well POF uses Rock barrels and there are numerous examples of them being sub .75" for 5 shots or better. LWRC reports seem to around 1".

-dan

CMMG M4 LEP II??

Any reviews on it? Seems like the only upper out there under $1000.

Here's my built upper real easy to do and works awesome first day I fired 500 rounds of russian .223 zero issues.

Save you money and build a piston upper: use ADAMS ARMS piston kit for mid-length, and a 1:8 twist barrel from AR15 performance.com

Get the correct SAMSON handgurad kit, barrel nut, Troy rail sights, bolt and carrier assembly from weaponparts.com cheaper...then anywhere.

Get the upper receiver assembled by Aero Precision from Surplus Ammo.com

Get your flash adapter or what ever you choose and you will be happy and have more dough in your pockets for bullets.

Where did "Best Piston AR15" turn into the typical Piston vs DI Bullcrap? If you want to start a piston vs DI thread start your own or head over to BARFCOM.

I've had an LMT piston upper for over a year and have close to 10k through it. This thing is clean and is surprisingly accurate. My favorite load for it is the Hornady 55 GR FMJ with 25.5 GR of Benchmark. It consitantly shoots under MOA with the best group being under 3/4 MOA.

I did have some minor carrier tilt, which was evident right away, but it leveled off and it is cosmetic only.

The early piston systems had some issues, but most of those issues have been taken care of, so while the AR15 wasn't designed around the piston, it can work very well with some minor things that I highly recommend:

1. Adams Arms bolt spring. This takes care of the bolt thrust issue.
2. PWS Enhanced buffer/extension tube. This takes care of the carrier tilt. The pads on the carrier are not enough sometimes.
3. PWS Cam Pin.

FYI: a lot if these piston systems are very similar to each other and the carriers are very much interchangeable. Most manufacturers sell spare parts kits.

LMT, LWRC, POF, PWS, and any upper with the Adams Arms system is good to go. And if you want the best opinions about piston uppers, do yourself a favor and ask actual owners, not some piston haters/Internet commandos who have never owned one. And shooting a friend's piston upper is not the same as actually owning one. If given a choice, most piston owners would not go back to DI. That says a lot.

Sorry if I'm coming across as an ass, but I get sick and tired of the typical Internet bullshit.

I'm with you paul. I was browseing the Mega Arms websight the other day, and happened to see the Mega monolithic tubular upper reciever with the Adams kit on it. Looked really sharp. So I pushed a few questions to Rainier arms about it, and he only had good things to say about Adams. If I went piston it'd be that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: widnerkj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with you paul. I was browseing the Mega Arms websight the other day, and happened to see the Mega monolithic tubular upper reciever with the Adams kit on it. Looked really sharp. So I pushed a few questions to Rainier arms about it, and he only had good things to say about Adams. If I went piston it'd be that route. </div></div>

I saw a picture of it and it looks awesome. If only I was single, I'd get that exact one.
I also think that the next evolution of the AR is the Monolothic style uppers.

I like LWRC. I wanted a general purpose AR that would shoot lots and lots of rounds with little to no maintenance and I picked the most basic, unmodified, vanilla LWRC M6, the one with the regular plastic handguards and A2 stock, grip, and carrying handle. The 100% familiarity with regular DI ARs helped me get back to the basics, regular function check, manual of arms, sight picture, etc etc.

The best thing I like about the regular M6, it's upgradable. I installed a DD Omega rail and I couldn't be happier, I'm not a fan of the ARMS rail on the LWRC M6A1. The DD Omega rail is literally as light as the regular handguards, plus you get all the features of it being free-float and thinner profile.

This doesn't mean I hate DIs. My other AR is a DI Mark 12. I like the piston M6 because as a General purpose carbine, it can run and run and run. But I like the SPR because the DI system gives it a really high precision and accuracy, and it's not like I'm gonna shoot expensive Mk 262 rounds as fast as the SS109s I feed the M6.

Yea, $600 for the monolithic upper without guts, and another $300 for the piston system, That would be a crazy expinsive build. But like I was told, all reviews on it are steller.

i find it absolutely amazing how Paul Leitner-Wises' short stroke piston system has grabbed nearly every manufacturers attention and their near copies of this fantastic invention of his. he has come up with what i consider the ultimate in piston systems, <span style="font-weight: bold">i wish i could post photos</span> of mine, but it is so easy for maintenance and cleaning, if you are one of those who clean after every shooting session, there is a button on the bottom of the hand guard, you pull down on it give it a half turn, throw a lever on the side and and the entire hand guard comes off, exposing the piston system, then there is knurled barrel nut that can be turned to remove the barrel.., BUT !! the entire upper is proprietary therefore no standard AR-15/M4/M6 etc. parts are interchangeable.., except for flash hider.

oooooh ! BTW, LWRC originally meant "Leitner Wise Rifle Company"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

:

1. Adams Arms bolt spring. This takes care of the bolt thrust issue. </div></div>

What is this bolt thrush issue??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

:

1. Adams Arms bolt spring. This takes care of the bolt thrust issue. </div></div>

What is this bolt thrush issue?? </div></div>

I'll do my best to try to explain it.

In a DI system, when the gas travels down the gas tube, it goes inside the carrier and the gas pushes on the bolt and holds it open for a split second while the extraction begins.

With the piston system, there is no gas to hold the bolt open for that split second so supposedly that has caused some bolts to break. That spring holds that bolt open similar to the way the gas holds the bolt open. It makes sense, but I never seen a bolt brake or heard of any bolts braking from the piston owners I've spoken with.

I hope I explained it correctly and easy to understand. It is kind of hard to pit it in words.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I never seen a bolt brake or heard of any bolts braking from the piston owners I've spoken with.</div></div>

just for your and everyone elses info, it's <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">"break"</span></span>..., not <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">"brake"</span></span> two different words

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I never seen a bolt brake or heard of any bolts braking from the piston owners I've spoken with.</div></div>

just for your and everyone elses info, it's <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">"break"</span></span>..., not <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">"brake"</span></span> two different words </div></div>

Thanks Mr. Spelling Nazi. I know the differences, but my iPhone apparently doesn't, so I'll pass that along to my iPhone. LOL.
laugh.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i find it absolutely amazing how Paul Leitner-Wises' short stroke piston system has grabbed nearly every manufacturers attention and their near copies of this fantastic invention of his. he has come up with what i consider the ultimate in piston systems,<span style="color: #FF0000"> <span style="font-weight: bold">i wish i could post photos</span></span> of mine, but it is so easy for maintenance and cleaning, if you are one of those who clean after every shooting session, there is a button on the bottom of the hand guard, you pull down on it give it a half turn, throw a lever on the side and and the entire hand guard comes off, exposing the piston system, then there is knurled barrel nut that can be turned to remove the barrel.., BUT !! the entire upper is proprietary therefore no standard AR-15/M4/M6 etc. parts are interchangeable.., except for flash hider.

oooooh ! BTW, LWRC originally meant "Leitner Wise Rifle Company" </div></div>

Thats funny how that never works out? We have been waiting for pics from you for months on claims you made about your collection.

when i get some genius to help me fix this thing i WILL post some photos.., but it WILL NOT be of my "collection", no camera on this planet has enough capacity to to hold all my collection photos
wink.gif

besides i never said i would post photos of my collection, just specifics of certain items, so don't go spreading lies.

thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I never seen a bolt brake or heard of any bolts braking from the piston owners I've spoken with.</div></div>

just for your and everyone elses info, it's <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">"break"</span></span>..., not <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">"brake"</span></span> two different words </div></div>

Thanks Mr. Spelling Nazi. I know the differences, but my iPhone apparently doesn't, so I'll pass that along to my iPhone. LOL.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
</div></div>

yaa.., yaa, i really believe that, right on !! if it is no more intelligent than you why have one ? a better excuse would be you did it while driving. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #009900">LOL</span> </span></span>

BTW calling someone "Nazi" proves your intelligence level. Mr. Knuckle Dragger !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I never seen a bolt brake or heard of any bolts braking from the piston owners I've spoken with.</div></div>

laugh.gif
grin.gif
</div></div>

yaa.., yaa, i really believe that, right on !! if it is no more intelligent than you why have one ? a better excuse would be you did it while driving. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #009900">LOL</span> </span></span>

BTW calling someone "Nazi" proves your intelligence level. Mr. Knuckle Dragger !! </div></div>

Holy fuck dude. I was joking around. That's what LOL and the smiley faces mean.
And for your info, the iPhone has an auto correct as you type, so if you are not paying attention as you type, it auto corrects with words that it thinks are correct. Good lord. And no, I'm not one of those assholes that talks or types while driving.

Before this thread gets locked let me say that I too enjoy my LMT piston. The ability to switch out barrels via the MRP is cool. I just wish LMT would come out with a 6.8 piston barrel to swap in..

I have the LWRC REPR 20" 7.62x51 and the LWRC M6A3 6.8SPC after receiving and firing about 500 thru each then comparing them to myself built no name AR-15 5.56x45 I feel I spent an ass load of money for the same results if you just use quality parts and build it yourself concerning quality uppers.

On my AR-15/ 5.56 I used the ADAMS ARMS system which is adjustable for Normal firing/ Suppressed/ and Bolt action function where it retains the brass till you manually charge the action. Plus I can leave the hand guard system intact to clean, by this I mean on the ADAMS ARMS kit you rotate the front gas piston and the op-rod will also come out for easy cleaning. With my LWRC I have to take off all the cool guy gear and hand guards to undo and clean the op-rod/ gas system.

Just my two cents...speaking from experience!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chiefordnance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the LWRC REPR 20" 7.62x51 and the LWRC M6A3 6.8SPC after receiving and firing about 500 thru each then comparing them to myself built no name AR-15 5.56x45 I feel I spent an ass load of money for the same results if you just use quality parts and build it yourself concerning quality uppers.

On my AR-15/ 5.56 I used the ADAMS ARMS system which is adjustable for Normal firing/ Suppressed/ and Bolt action function where it retains the brass till you manually charge the action. Plus I can leave the hand guard system intact to clean, by this I mean on the ADAMS ARMS kit you rotate the front gas piston and the op-rod will also come out for easy cleaning. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">With my LWRC I have to take off all the cool guy gear and hand guards to undo and clean the op-rod/ gas system.</span></span>

Just my two cents...speaking from experience! </div></div>
What "cool guy gear" do you have that requires removal of the "handguards" to clean the Op Rod and gas system? If you're referring to the rail panels, the factory LWRC panels have some play so the top rail section can easily be removed. And if you're using aftermarket panels like I am, a careful five minutes with a Dremel on the right and left side rail covers will allow easy removal of the top rail section, allowing full access to the Op Rod and gas system. I can loosen the two rail thumbscrews and remove the top rail section in 10 seconds using one hand.

Can't you leave your accessories that are attached to the top rail section installed on the rail when you remove the rail? I've got Tango Down Rail Covers and they are the tightest fitting covers around, but clearancing the rail covers where the top rail section lifts out with the afore-mentioned Dremel was easy.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M2A2-S MRE with Top Rail Section removed:</span></span>
M6A2-SPistonSystemExposed28x6-1.jpg

M6A2-SPistonSystemExposed8x6.jpg

Keith

you shouldn't have to clean much less touch the lwrc piston setup for 20k rounds but I will agree, there are easier setups out there for getting to the piston

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUTGERS95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you shouldn't have to clean much less touch the lwrc piston setup for 20k rounds but I will agree, there are easier setups out there for getting to the piston </div></div>
I agree about the cleaning interval, but are you serious about getting to the piston? Loosen two thumbscrews and pull the top rail off. It takes less than ten seconds to remove or attach the rail using one hand.

Keith

The OP's question seems like asking which hog ate the cabbage, does it really matter? After all, "best" is nothing more than a dissipating mist of perception in matters like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i find it absolutely amazing how Paul Leitner-Wises' short stroke piston system has grabbed nearly every manufacturers attention and their near copies of this fantastic invention of his. he has come up with what i consider the ultimate in piston systems, <span style="font-weight: bold">i wish i could post photos</span> of mine, but it is so easy for maintenance and cleaning, if you are one of those who clean after every shooting session, there is a button on the bottom of the hand guard, you pull down on it give it a half turn, throw a lever on the side and and the entire hand guard comes off, exposing the piston system, then there is knurled barrel nut that can be turned to remove the barrel.., BUT !! the entire upper is proprietary therefore no standard AR-15/M4/M6 etc. parts are interchangeable.., except for flash hider.

oooooh ! BTW, LWRC originally meant "Leitner Wise Rifle Company" </div></div>

Strange how his "invention" is almost a carbon copy of a Armalite AR180 piston system made 40 years earlier. LOL

I've owned quite a few piston uppers and my current (and favorite) is the PWS DC-16. The long stroke piston is the way to go IMO.

I have a LMT piston. The quality of craftsmanship is outstanding. Accuracy is about 1 inch at 100yds with 69 FED match with a Acog. As far a reliability, no problems. The fact remains I have used everything out there and can say all guns jam and malfunction. Match guns jam more frequently than mil-spec do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did "Best Piston AR15" turn into the typical Piston vs DI Bullcrap? If you want to start a piston vs DI thread start your own or head over to BARFCOM.

I've had an LMT piston upper for over a year and have close to 10k through it. This thing is clean and is surprisingly accurate. My favorite load for it is the Hornady 55 GR FMJ with 25.5 GR of Benchmark. It consitantly shoots under MOA with the best group being under 3/4 MOA.

I did have some minor carrier tilt, which was evident right away, but it leveled off and it is cosmetic only.

The early piston systems had some issues, but most of those issues have been taken care of, so while the AR15 wasn't designed around the piston, it can work very well with some minor things that I highly recommend:

1. Adams Arms bolt spring. This takes care of the bolt thrust issue.
2. PWS Enhanced buffer/extension tube. This takes care of the carrier tilt. The pads on the carrier are not enough sometimes.
3. PWS Cam Pin.

FYI: a lot if these piston systems are very similar to each other and the carriers are very much interchangeable. Most manufacturers sell spare parts kits.

LMT, LWRC, POF, PWS, and any upper with the Adams Arms system is good to go. And if you want the best opinions about piston uppers, do yourself a favor and ask actual owners, not some piston haters/Internet commandos who have never owned one. And shooting a friend's piston upper is not the same as actually owning one. If given a choice, most piston owners would not go back to DI. That says a lot.

Sorry if I'm coming across as an ass, but I get sick and tired of the typical Internet bullshit. </div></div>

+1 for the LMT. I have the 12" and have personally been convinced piston is the way to go for high volume reliability (particularly for an SBR). Have close to 3k of mostly Russian brown bear through mine without issue... cleaned it once at 1k rounds. I love the MRP flexibility and think it is a major positive the MRP Piston uses a standard / non proprietary bolt.

Paul, have you confirmed which carriers are compatible? Curious if some of the other guns (even with proprietary bolts) could run an LMT carrier / standard bolt combo. Or if I could use a LWRC BCG in my LMT if that was my preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still don't believe a piston gun solves anything that a properly designed DI gun won't do. </div></div>
FWIW,
I couldn't agree more with Kevin.
Pistons are perfect for folks that don't like to clean their DI guns, but they ultimately cause more problems than they fix.
(ie. Inherently less accurate due to barrel harmonics, no "MILSPEC" resulting in potential parts issues, and wear resulting from a platform that was designed to operate with a DI system being repurposed to operate with a GP.)