• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Best Place for Praire Dogs

adamrubin

Minuteman
Jul 9, 2010
Within the United States, where is the BEST place to shoot LOTS of dogs?

Re: Best Place for Praire Dogs

I grew up in NW Kansas and my buddy had one of the best places to hunt. The creek that ran through the area separated the dogs, so there were 4-5 different spots to pop up on them.

I think my best few hours were 17 kills, 2 kills with one shot even. Not lie'n.
smile.gif
Just had to watch out for the rattle snakes. But like with most dogs, the farms killed them off.

I know you can go up to South Dakota and hunt them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wyoming and Colorado</div></div>
Yep, though eastern Oregon is pretty awesome too.

I have a couple buddies that work over on the Rosebud Res. in the past they had lot of dog towns with very high populations, not sure what the numbers are now.

I see hundreds of them every day while driving for work. With the weak winter we have been having year round shooting has been posible. I could not even begin to estimate how many towns i have with in 50 miles of mobridge,sd

Graham and I were on the Rosebud reservation a couple years ago and had an amazing time.We'd shoot up a dog town and when they would get skiddish, the outfit we were with would move us to a new spot. If you're looking for a package deal with food & lodging, I would have no reservations recomending the place we stayed at just south of Vivian,S.D.

http://www.shurshotlodge.com/

There are quite a few good spots in NE Wyoming/ Black Hills area. I am lucky enough to have 250 acres or so of them about a mile from my house. It is usually good enough to shoot on for a couple of hours a day for a few days a week for about a month and then I have to move on to one of my other secret spots. There is quite a bit of towns on public land around here and some very large towns on private and most will let you shoot if you just ask.

I am heading out to Rapid City, SD in May with some buddies. My mom moved out their recently and I am also looking for some places to go. Has anybody every went to the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands to shoot? It is close to Rapid City. Also, how would I go about getting in contact with farmers to ask permission?

Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham and I were on the Rosebud reservation a couple years ago and had an amazing time.We'd shoot up a dog town and when they would get skiddish, the outfit we were with would move us to a new spot. If you're looking for a package deal with food & lodging, I would have no reservations recomending the place we stayed at just south of Vivian,S.D.

</div></div>

How much were you charged at the Rosebud Res? That is a definite possibility for me this May.

JWV

I haven't had one in a while but the Buffalo Gap NGL map put out by the forrest service use to have pd towns marked (as well as pond that are stocked with fish).

It's been a while (I stay in Wyoming) but it certainly would be worth a look see.

----------------------------------------------

As a side note: As to Wyoming, there are tons of PDs and about 50% of the state is public land.

For my GPS I have a card that shows all the government and private land, (even list the land owner's name). Its handy when traveling around, seeing the PD towns and checking the GPS to see if you are on privat or public land. With our tresspass laws it could keep you out of trouble.

The spot I hunt is on 450 between Newcastle and Wright. I set up on the top of a little hill where I have about a 270 degree field of view of the town. I start at one side and work my way across the area as they get spooked. By the time I get to the far side of the arc they've calmed down on the other side so I can start all over.

My biggest problem is running out of ammo.

Thanks for the heads up Kraig. I am also looking at the Thunder Basin Nat. Grasslands in Wyoming. I have been hearing great things about it, pretty close to Newcastle I see as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stiggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham and I were on the Rosebud reservation a couple years ago and had an amazing time.We'd shoot up a dog town and when they would get skiddish, the outfit we were with would move us to a new spot. If you're looking for a package deal with food & lodging, I would have no reservations recomending the place we stayed at just south of Vivian,S.D.

</div></div>

How much were you charged at the Rosebud Res? That is a definite possibility for me this May.</div></div>
Based on my experience, May might be a little early yet to get good results. Will there be dogs out? More than likely but they are kinda picky about when they want to come out. Best days are sun shining and hot which depending on what time in May you are coming might not happen. Hell 2 years ago in snowed like 2 feet in mid April so all I am saying is the weather is still not very ideal even in May around here. Last may around here it rained almost every day which is unusual for here but like I said the weather is pretty unpredictable in the spring.

If you are already coming for other reasons other than to just shoot prairie dogs then by all means give it a whirl but I wouldn't plan on just prairie dogs that early in the year. Just my .02

JWV if you decide on TBNG near Newcastle let me know, I'll give you the location of a pretty good town about 25 miles west of Newcastle on Hwy 450. (gooberment land)

Slayer is right, the hotter the better shooting. We don't have much snow now so you can still get some good shooting.

I appreciate the help guys. I can probably push late may to very early June, but I start med school Mid June. But, PD shooting is just one of the reasons I'm coming out. The main reason is to see my mom. You will probably hear from me Kraig about TBNG, and I can't thank you enough. My mom is going to play tour guide for sightseeing and if we spot good PD towns we will set up. Well, that is the strategy now, hopefully snow doesn't fly and the temps are good.

I'm also hoping that the mild winter was a sign that things will heat up earlier than normal. Knowing my luck it will be exactly opposite of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adamrubin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Within the United States, where is the BEST place to shoot LOTS of dogs? </div></div>

where ever you are, the best place to shoot them is... IN THE HEAD... from 659 yds.
grin.gif
trucks ontop of hill behind fence... this was in South Dakota 2nd week in may 2011

54c65d73.jpg

Anyone thinking about hunting the Rosebud Indian Reservation can PM me! If you hunted here last here you know the number are way down due to the plague! We are actually considering closing the season because we dont want shooters traveling thousands of miles to only to find the dogs are far and few between! We are not the only area in SD hit by the plague, so check with whoever shoot with!

Ya still pretty good last year just on the other side of the border in WY as well.

Hey Varmint Slayer, would you be willing to PM a few areas that could be good spots in your area or the Black hills. No hard feelings otherwise. I will be staying in RC.

Ya no sweat man. When I get to my desktop I will send you some google maps that I have that have BLM and state overlays on them and also give you an idea on how to get there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JWV if you decide on TBNG near Newcastle let me know, I'll give you the location of a pretty good town about 25 miles west of Newcastle on Hwy 450. (gooberment land)</div></div>

Is that the forest service stuff right off the Grieves Rd by chance?

Damnit, I was doing a great job keeping the thought of this years shooting trip out of mind...until I came across this thread. Now the bug is in my again haha All I could think about about today was launching some critters. Can't wait!

My hint for the OP is to stay away from the common areas. I mean, so you hear a bunch of guys go to Town X in State Y. Go there too, but then drive 30, 40 miles away and just start asking (politely) anyone you see. 98% of the people will point you the right direction. They think we are goofy driving so far just to shoot their pests haha Soon enough you'll be on virgin towns where you could blast them at 40 yards if you wanted to.

I checked with the Forrest Sevice for the Thunder Basin area a few days ago, there is a Closure on a number of areas with PD due to the fact they are trying to help the Black Footed Ferret. A map shows where it is closed to PD, ofcourse that is the areas where the PD are, Call Douglas and the lady that answers the phone is very helpful and will send you a map fo the Grasslands that are closed to PD. She and her husband shoot also, her comment to me was "don't expect to shoot 200 rounds a day", Numbers are not there. FYI They will NOT tell you where the PD are, only where you can not shoot, I think this may be the first year for the closure, The game warden in the area was not even sure of the situation.

That's why I hardly ever shoot on public land. To many idiots just sling random lead and doing nothing but scaring the shit out of the whole town. Do that enough times and you end up with a town that as soon as you drive up, they go down. If you take your time and take mostly shots you know are going to connect, then you will be a lot better off as they won't spook as easily. Reason being if every shot you take hits a dog and only one, then the rest don't really have anything to be scared of as all they heard was a boom but it didn't effect them so they go back to whatever they were doing. If you are taking tons of super long shots or just dumping clips trying to rapid fire at them and constantly wizzing bullets by there head, now they have a reason to be sacred as they associate the boom with shit flying by there head. This "strategy" really only works on private towns where a guy can control who is out there shooting but has worked for me.

A little off subject but pdogsbeware's comments about public land which I totally agree with, led me to share my thoughts on why public land usually sucks to shoot on.

I've heard the PD hunting in the country is in South Dakota.

JWP6114,

Now that's a hell of a shot! Noggin shooting PD's at 659 yds is no joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why I hardly ever shoot on public land. To many idiots just sling random lead and doing nothing but scaring the shit out of the whole town. Do that enough times and you end up with a town that as soon as you drive up, they go down. If you take your time and take mostly shots you know are going to connect, then you will be a lot better off as they won't spook as easily. Reason being if every shot you take hits a dog and only one, then the rest don't really have anything to be scared of as all they heard was a boom but it didn't effect them so they go back to whatever they were doing. If you are taking tons of super long shots or just dumping clips trying to rapid fire at them and constantly wizzing bullets by there head, now they have a reason to be sacred as they associate the boom with shit flying by there head. This "strategy" really only works on private towns where a guy can control who is out there shooting but has worked for me.

A little off subject but pdogsbeware's comments about public land which I totally agree with, led me to share my thoughts on why public land usually sucks to shoot on. </div></div>

This is what I am fearful of, getting out there and searching everywhere to only find desolate prairie dog towns. I have put my mom on the mission on asking farmers about hunting on their land when she passes by them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeadHunter1Actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard the PD hunting in the country is in South Dakota.

JWP6114,

Now that's a hell of a shot! Noggin shooting PD's at 659 yds is no joke. </div></div>

yea we were there for 5 days, and had 2 great and 1 ok day of shooting due to weather...

I am planning another trip there in May of 2013, i hope theres dogs then... there were plenty last may. i will post some more pics if you like.

different angle of the dog with no head...

b2d7b30c.jpg

average wind speed

382c8958.jpg

esentials...

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

a diferent head shot at about 380 yds with a .223...

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

i think we spent 50$ a day on the guide and like $120 total on licence fee's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got a wicked video i wish i new how to upload... want to learn how to embed video's, can you with facebook? or does it have to be yahoo/google/youtube?

Listen how SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH she was... not sure if link works..

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000560413445#!/video/video.php?v=241466815881997
</div></div>

does this link take you to my video i have on FB?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another thing to note...I thought I heard in WYO pdogs licenses are cheap compared to an outta state SD one. Residents just have to have any valid hunting license (varmint/predator is $5) but usually outta state or reservation ones get spendy.</div></div>

No licence required to shoot them in Wyoming. Just roll up and blast away. Just wish we could use suppressors like the SD boys....

No he doesnt advertise... The friend of mine that headed the trip up has known him for a long time, I think there's a list of registered guide's somewhere online if you google it.

JWV,If I remember right it was only $60 for a 3 day pass on the Rosebud. However, I believe you have to have a guide from the reservation. We had a guy named Joseph and he was quite well versed in where the dogs were and he was also inexpensive. I don't have his card anymore but I may be able to get it from Graham.

Thanks a bunch Stiggy, I greatly appreciate it!

Varmint Slayer and Kraig,

Do you guys happen to know which areas of the Thunder Basin Nat Grasslands were closed for the Black footed Ferret?

Justin

I can't wait until i get me new .243AI back from the smith...

and i can't wait to make some little furry creature vanish from a 6mm 87 grain v-max running about 3500fps.

... like a fat kid love's cake...

I here you, I am mainly going to be using a 204 with 40 grain noslers, but my buddy will be using his 22-250 to scream 40 grainers really fast. List of rifles going. I just got permission to shoot on a ranchers land who has a 60 acre virgin PD town.

3-4 22 LR's
17 HMR x2
17 HM2
ar15
204 2x
223AI
22-250
260AI
7SAUM
30-06
300 Win Mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks a bunch Stiggy, I greatly appreciate it!

Varmint Slayer and Kraig,

Do you guys happen to know which areas of the Thunder Basin Nat Grasslands were closed for the Black footed Ferret?

Justin</div></div>

No clue man as I rarely shoot on public lands. I bet you could call the game and fish here and they could probably tell ya.

TAG...

I have been wanting to do this since forever ago. Even built rifles dedicated to it without ever going... I really need this info too.

Thanks for the great info so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I here you, I am mainly going to be using a 204 with 40 grain noslers, but my buddy will be using his 22-250 to scream 40 grainers really fast. List of rifles going. I just got permission to shoot on a ranchers land who has a 60 acre virgin PD town.

3-4 22 LR's
17 HMR x2
17 HM2
ar15
204 2x
223AI
22-250
260AI
7SAUM
30-06
300 Win Mag</div></div>

no offense but 60 acres of prairie dogs is only going to last you maybe an hour or so. By all means try it out but just a heads up that it wont last to long. Need about 200 or so to have any real fun. Then again I shoot a ton of them and am probably harder to entertain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I here you, I am mainly going to be using a 204 with 40 grain noslers, but my buddy will be using his 22-250 to scream 40 grainers really fast. List of rifles going. I just got permission to shoot on a ranchers land who has a 60 acre virgin PD town.

3-4 22 LR's
17 HMR x2
17 HM2
ar15
204 2x
223AI
22-250
260AI
7SAUM
30-06
300 Win Mag</div></div>

no offense but 60 acres of prairie dogs is only going to last you maybe an hour or so. By all means try it out but just a heads up that it wont last to long. Need about 200 or so to have any real fun. Then again I shoot a ton of them and am probably harder to entertain. </div></div>

The rancher is referring us to a couple others with even bigger dogtowns, so hopefully we won't run into any issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I here you, I am mainly going to be using a 204 with 40 grain noslers, but my buddy will be using his 22-250 to scream 40 grainers really fast. List of rifles going. I just got permission to shoot on a ranchers land who has a 60 acre virgin PD town.

3-4 22 LR's
17 HMR x2
17 HM2
ar15
204 2x
223AI
22-250
260AI
7SAUM
30-06
300 Win Mag </div></div>

also i dont think you will be needing the 17's and the 22's unles you just like a chalange... wind is quite bad, you will defanetly like the .223 for ammo cost and defeating the wind, and if its calm i have seen .223 hit dogs out to 950...

When i went we took a multitude of guns, about 30, there was suposed to be a small plane with more shooters show but they cancled so it was me and one other with all the gear at our disposal..

.223, .22-250, .308, .243, 300 SAUM, 7mm STW, and 2 50's an M-107 and an AR-50...

good times all of them but saw more use of .223, 22-250, and .308 then anything. my fav was the 300 SAUM (wow SPLAT)...

as far as land... god, theres no clue how much land we were shooting on... as far as the eye can see. the Rosebud is big. kinda like outer space.

love to see that 260AI in action...