• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Best place to buy .223 suppressor???

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
Ok, so I am considering a purchase of a AAC 762-SD for use on a Tikka T3 (20 in Barrel) in .223. I live on a farm with high strung animals and also have a housing development which backs up to my property, so I figured a suppressor would help when I shoot. I chose a 762 can because I only want to have to buy one can for any rifles below .308.

So, what I want to know is:
1) What is the unsuppressed Db level for regular ammo (such as wolf)from a .223 with 20 in barrel

2) What is the sound reduction in Db of a .223 round when using a 762 suppressor compared to sound suppression of .223 when using a .223 suppressor.

3) What is the Db level of a unsuppressed .22LR, and how does it compare to a suppressed .223 with 762 can?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

If I need to give more details, let me know.

Re: Suppressor Db Reduction on .223 (NEED HELP!!)

Forgive the sarcasm, but I have a similar situation for mine. I use a .30 suppressor for my .243WSSM. It's quiet enough for me, just as quiet as most .223/.223 set ups and as quiet or more than many .308/.308 set ups.

1) I have no idea, but if it's loud enough to hurt, then it's loud enough.
2) Depends on the kind of 22 ammo, the quality of the suppressor and the barrel length of each rifle.
3) ALL center fire cans on the internet sound like a 22 to someone.

I beg to differ. "hence the uselessness of comparing it to the sound of a 22 or 22mag."

My 243wssm with a .308 can sounds quieter than a .22lr unsuppressed...but it doesn't even resemble the same sound, so the comparison is moot to me.

It's like comparing a jackhammer to an air horn. You might think one sounds louder, but they don't sound the same so how can you compare.

ok, i see what u r saying about comparing .22 to the .223 suppressed.

But a .308 can will definitely reduce the sound signature of a .223? Will a .308 can reduce more Db on a .223 or on a .308?

Awful close, due to the extra volume of the .308 can, but again, it will depend on the design of the suppressor. My YHM Phantom does very well on a .243 WSSM, and YHM builds mounts specifically to allow a 30 cal suppressor to attach to the .223 QD mount.

You're not going to find much for published test numbers of .30 cans on a .223 (even though lots of guys do it), probably because that's not what they are built for...even though they work very well.

here's my 2 cents FWIW, I run a gemtech M4-02 in .223 and a gemtech HVT in .308, with either one threaded on the 223 I can't tell a noticeable diff.

nope, the only thing i wouldn't do is run your centerfire can on your rimfires. Reason being, the rimfires really crud up the can.

Now just pick a can, have fun.
smile.gif

With a YHM 7.62 phantom you get around 30-35 DB reduction, with a 7.62. with a .223 you get around 27-32 depending on ammo. I am a dealer and have done some testing. I have multiple customers who buy a 7.62 and use it for anything .30 and less. I wouldnt use a rimfire round on anything but a rime fire can. The rim fire ammo is so nasty you'll ruin a can in nothing flat. If you have anymore questions please pm me or email. YHM is now making titanium cans too. Great price for a TI can.

Bear in mind that the suppressor only works on the 'thump' of the gun ( the noise the gasses make exiting the muzzle). You also have ejection-port noise with automatics . The 'crack' of the bullet going supersonic is typically beyond the suppressor's design , although velocity in some .22 rimfire cartridges can be manipulated somewhat with barrel length . With centerfire pistols and rifles , some calibers can be purchased , or hand-loaded , subsonic ... Subsonic loads tend to have shorter ranges and higher trajectories . EBR makes subsonic loads in 5.56 and 7.62 ...

Rangerwalker: I dont intend to use a centerfire can on a rimfire, but what about the rimfire would ruin the can? The grim and shit from rimfire ammo? Coulndnt i just give the can a bath in solvent?

Dragoon: Im planning to use the can on a bolt gun. Im gonna check out the subsonic ammo though.

Btw, the can I'm planning to run is a AAC 762SD

SJ, just make sure you run a bunch of those subsonics through <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">without</span></span> your new can on first to make sure they're not key-holing

thanks nate. Do they have a tendency to keyhole? Btw, my tikka has a 1 in 8 twist, so it should stabilize better than majority of factory bolt guns.

I did quite a bit of messin' around with loads for my 9 twist 223 and settled on 52g varmint hp's @ about 950 to 1000. Anything longer than that was to unreliable and would occasionally yaw. If you don't reload you could try some of the Extreme shock brand subs, don't know how they work though.

Picking that can is a good choice. Just sucks that the 5.56 is a pain in the ass to suppress to a "quiet" Db level.

Also if you plan to buy soon, there are some on gunbroker available now. Could save you an extra 6-9 month wait.

I hope you know the T3 has european threads on it. With that said you would be better off with the Gemtech HVT SD. if it wasnt for that I would have to say the AAC 762 SD or SND or whatever it is. Either way you wont be kicking yourself later saying I should have got this one instead.

Aj: I was planning to order it from major malfunction. Should I go ahead and look at gunbroker instead?

Havoc: I think you are referring to the Tikka tactical. I have the lite which isnt threaded at all... So thats another thing i have to do.

Order from Major. He has the best prices and great cust. Service.

Re: Best place to buy .223 suppressor???

Major Malf is good.

Allen Arms - [email protected]
or
Silent Industries - 256-783-5309 (Malcolm)

Both Randall and Malcolm have VERY good prices on AAC cans.

The Major, Allen, and Bullseye are the top 3. The ones in stock and ready to go on Gunbroker is being sold by Bullseye.

Always buy in stock!.. and remember after the transfer, the customer service you may require will be from suppressor manufacturer. I waited 6 months for my AAC Ti-rant, and still waiting, going on 9 months for my M4-1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here's my 2 cents FWIW, I run a gemtech M4-02 in .223 and a gemtech HVT in .308, with either one threaded on the 223 I can't tell a noticeable diff.</div></div>
I have the exact same two supressors as you and I agree. I run my 308 can on my DPMS - 223 Mini-SASS because I use it in the prone and it is as quiet as my other AR's with the M4/2K. The one thing I do say is that a 308 can on a AR is mighty front heavy if you are going to do anything else but prone position with it. And, that is what I bought the AAC M4/2000.

The HTG Aris-4 (.223 can) will suppress .223 to 129db
The HTG M30-A (.308 can) will suppress the .223 to 130db
The HTG M30-A (.308 can) will suppress the .308 to 133db

Just to give you some db comparisons.

The 30 caliber can is a good platform to use between calibers. The downside is the longer length in the .308 can. It is longer than you need when trying to suppress the .223. It does give you a 1 can option and a 1 tax stamp purchase.

Mike