• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best portable gun vice

Boatninja

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2018
Out there somewhere
Any body have a suggestion for a high quality bench top vice? Scope work and cleaning etc. Must be durable and secure, but also stowable will see a lot of usage. Price is not a great concern for one that is durable enough for years of service. Even pictures of home made ones would be welcome.

Are you looking for a vise to remove barrels of something to just hold rifles to work on ? I made a barrel vise with aluminum inserts to remove and install barrels but it also works well to hold a rifle when doing stock work or scope installs . We just use a heavy weight paper wrapped a few times around the barrel so the jaws don't scratch the finsh.

I use a Davidson vise mounted to my bed on the truck. I only use this for my hunting rifle switch barrels. I have it bolted to the bed permanently in an out of the way postiin
Normally at a match I just spin my barrels on, never seen a difference in performance not torquing them up to spec.
If you’re looking for a bench type vise, I like the multi axis type for working in rifles.

Cheers.

Are you looking for a vise to remove barrels of something to just hold rifles to work on ? I made a barrel vise with aluminum inserts to remove and install barrels but it also works well to hold a rifle when doing stock work or scope installs . We just use a heavy weight paper wrapped a few times around the barrel so the jaws don't scratch the finsh.
Usually nothing as involved as barrel swapping, but nothing is out of the question, we have a vise in the barn if needed. Inevitably paying hunters will show up with scopes to be changed or mounts worked on, guns that need to be cleaned-adjusted-not shooting and to be able to do this stuff out of the elements usually at night on the kitchen table. as little plastic as possible etc. Heavy isn't much of a bother really a plus for something that doesn't need to be bolted down and won't break the table..

Usually nothing as involved as barrel swapping, but nothing is out of the question, we have a vise in the barn if needed. Inevitably paying hunters will show up with scopes to be changed or mounts worked on, guns that need to be cleaned-adjusted-not shooting and to be able to do this stuff out of the elements usually at night on the kitchen table. as little plastic as possible etc. Heavy isn't much of a bother really a plus for something that doesn't need to be bolted down and won't break the table..
I bought one of the heavy cast iron grinder stands and mounted a six inch vise on it . Find some good grade ply wood and cut some soft jaws this is what I did for stock work . With a dolly it can go anywhere even outside and doesnt take up bench space .

Attachments

• 20200513_200039_copy_3024x1470.jpg
    20200513_200039_copy_3024x1470.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 79
For lighter weight work, but holds a 20lb rifle well and has a lot of modular options

Reactions: Boatninja