• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Powder? 50-60gr 16/18" barrel AR-15

stanley52

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2013
Idaho
Ok so most load data has CFE-223 topping velocity charts, but that is with a 24" barrel. If my logic is sound then for a carbine/M16 length of barrel then out of the .223 data for light projectiles, I want to pick the one that is near top in velocity but has the fastest burn rate so that the length of barrel does not affect velocity % burned as much... Which leads me to Benchmark being about the best choice. At the same time I've heard people say it doesn't perform as well in Gas guns. Any thoughts on any of this? Any other solid powders for a 16 or 18" barrel shooting 50-60gr Amax, Vmax, Zmax? One last question, twist rates, will 1:9" do fine since most AR-builders have those already or should I get a 1:10, 1:11, 1:12? Thanks for the advice in advance.

I've tested quite a few different AR loads, and I agree with you 100% Benchmark is proving to be an excellent gas gun powder per my data. Equally consistiant for me has been Win 748. A big bonus with both of these is they meter very precise which makes hand loading easier and quicker. Win 748 is a ball powder, but i'm not 100% sure about what type Benchmark is..

During the powder shortage, I have tried several different powders for both my bolt .223 and ar's. Have had good luck with the really fast burning powder IMR 4198 as well as H-335 and IMR 4895. All of which were shot out of 16-18" barrels with 50 gr bullets. I have not chronographed them, but from the manual the H-335 produces the highest velocity in the 3390's followed by the 4198 at 3150fps. The 4895 is in the 3200's.

I use Benchmark in all my 223's/vmax combos. I have an 18" SPR-type rifle, 1/7 twist. 53gr vmax and benchmark, pushing 3100fps. 3/4 moa easy. Same load outta my Tikka is 3330fps .4 MOA.
I've had good luck with H-322 and TAC, but I think Benchmark is more consistent, at least in my guns. Better SD/ES

I've tested quite a few different AR loads, and I agree with you 100% Benchmark is proving to be an excellent gas gun powder per my data. Equally consistiant for me has been Win 748. A big bonus with both of these is they meter very precise which makes hand loading easier and quicker. Win 748 is a ball powder, but i'm not 100% sure about what type Benchmark is..

I agree with^^^^. Tried many powders but W748 is my go to powder for 223/556.

During the powder shortage, I have tried several different powders for both my bolt .223 and ar's. Have had good luck with the really fast burning powder IMR 4198

I tried severall recipies using 4198, and contrary to your findings I had a TON of failure to feed issues in my Bushmaster AR. I was told that 4198 is "too fast" of a burn rate to use in gas guns. I pushed anywhere from 2800 fps up to 3050 and had the same issues.

I tried severall recipies using 4198, and contrary to your findings I had a TON of failure to feed issues in my Bushmaster AR. I was told that 4198 is "too fast" of a burn rate to use in gas guns. I pushed anywhere from 2800 fps up to 3050 and had the same issues.

Why would a faster powder affect it's ability to cycle rounds? I understand the concept of gas impingement and I didn't think that would cause an issue. I figured faster burning powders would help capitalize of a shorter barrel. Did you have a carbine, mid-length, or rifle length gas system? I'll bet any problems with a faster powder causing feeding issues from pressures could be overcome by a carbine length gas system.

Why would a faster powder affect it's ability to cycle rounds? I understand the concept of gas impingement and I didn't think that would cause an issue. I figured faster burning powders would help capitalize of a shorter barrel. Did you have a carbine, mid-length, or rifle length gas system? I'll bet any problems with a faster powder causing feeding issues from pressures could be overcome by a carbine length gas system.

I don't have enough gas gun experience to answer your question on the topic. I have a Bushmaster Varmint 24" upper , and loaded up about 40 rounds of varying loads of 4198 and I was experencing consistiant FTF's reguardless of grain load . I asked the question a few weeks later at my LGS's reloading salesperson and he basically explained that the extremly fast burn was not correctly allowing the BCG to cycle completely. I observed large dents in the body of the jammed cases, so it looked like the BCG was not cycling a complete rearward stroke ?

Last edited:
I'll bet it's because there was no longer enough built up pressure to cycle the BCG with a full length gas system, also 4198 is even faster than H322 and Benchmark. So I guess this helped established I for sure was a carbine length gas system.

One of my ar's has a carbine length system and it would not cycle 4198 with a 50gr zmax regardless of the charge. I went from 20gr up to 22gr (min-max) with the OAL of 2.255". However, it did cycle 50gr Midway Dogtown 50gr sp's that were loaded to an OAL of 2.210". Even cycled them at a very mild load. I can only guess that the zmax's were not seated far enough in to create enough pressure to fully cycle the action. It would send the bolt far enough back to eject the spent case, but would not grab the new round in the mag.

I only had this issue with 1 of my 3 ar's. My other carbine system and rifle length system handled every 4198 load I shot through them.

One of my ar's has a carbine length system and it would not cycle 4198 with a 50gr zmax regardless of the charge. I went from 20gr up to 22gr (min-max) with the OAL of 2.255". However, it did cycle 50gr Midway Dogtown 50gr sp's that were loaded to an OAL of 2.210". Even cycled them at a very mild load. I can only guess that the zmax's were not seated far enough in to create enough pressure to fully cycle the action. It would send the bolt far enough back to eject the spent case, but would not grab the new round in the mag.

I only had this issue with 1 of my 3 ar's. My other carbine system and rifle length system handled every 4198 load I shot through them.

Yeah I guess another solution is to just get an adjustable gas block, crimp a little more, or change bullets like you did.

I've had excellent luck thus far with IMR-4064. Was able to score a couple of pounds recently and it's worked well.

Looks like I have a few options and they all seem to affirm the whole quick burning powder for short barrels

benchmark works for me, 25.5 gets me 3043fps out of a 16" with a 55 hornady sp. My ES is 40 & SD is 15 with a dropped charge, I get about 50 more fps with a ballistic tip and the ES DS drops by a few. I think the accuracy is superb.

One other honarable mention needs to be XBR 8020 IMO , I recently started working this powder and thus far again another excellent and consistiant option, so with all these options you should never "not" find a good "AR" powder on your LGS's shelves..

Last edited: