• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Powder for 130gr TSX in .308 Win?

LeadZeke

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2019
Trying to maximize velocity for this specific load and I'm having trouble figuring out which powder(s) to buy and test. I've never seen this many reloading manuals + Quickload disagree about which powder is most likely to yield the best velocity. Every one of the following powders is listed in a major reloading manual or by Quickload (with a few tweaks) as giving the highest maximum velocity with 125-130gr bullets:

CFE223, IMR4895, Winchester 748, Ramshot Tac, Ramshot Big Game, Hodgdon BL-C2, IMR 3031, Accurate 2495, Accurate 2520, A-2460, N-140, Alliant AR-Comp, H4895, Reloader-15, and finally 8208 XBR.

The velocity spreads are huge two, a few hundred FPS between different manuals and quickload, even with COAL staying pretty similar (and test barrel length, etc). The max loads listed are also hugely different, for example with W748 there is a listed max of 51.9gr in one manual, and 54.9gr from Barnes themselves (which is way over what Quickload thinks is safe). I already have some CFE223 and some W748 so I'll be starting with them, but I'd like to buy at least 1-2 more powders to test with this load+rifle.

TL;DR- Any idea which powder is most likely to give the greatest velocity with the 130gr TSX loaded to 2.82in COAL in WW brass from a 23in 308win barrel? I'd like to avoid testing 15 if I can.

Your powder choices are getting limited by the minute.

Snuby642 yeah I'm aware, but if I buy this powder now or 6 months from now it doesn't really make a difference to my question. Especially since I already have two choices to play with for now.

DirtDart what barrel length?

Guess it depends on your barrel length. I'm getting 130smk projos to 2760 FPS with H322 out of 11" of barrel in a palma chamber. I'm backing it down 100fps to easy up on brass and all I'm giving up is 50ish yards before the 550-600 yard barrier.

I am careful to make my hunting loads with temperature insensitive powder. We have different weather here all the time, Florida. Top velocity is not something I even look at. Accuracy. Dependability.