• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best power scope for long distance 338LM

Derek01

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2011
WV
What power scope would you consider best for long distance with a 338LM. I have a NF 5.5x22 but I was wondering if the 8x32 or greater would be better?
Thanks

Re: Best power scope for long distance 338LM

FWIW I plan on getting a 338 LM sometime and an 8-32 NF is what will set on that! kinda makes sense if you are shooting 1500 plus with every shot or hunting. 8 should be low enough and the higher end will come in handy!

Don't forget to check the elevation travel in whatever scope you get to make sure you have enough.

Of those two I would use the 5.5-22x. Plenty of elevation and scope power. I used that scope to shoot to 2500 yards on a 408 CheyTac.

5-22x50 is more than enough for a 338 Lapua mag and gives you more elevation than a 8-32x56.

it depends on how far you want to push it. 5.5-22 would give you more elevation adjustment, but the 8-32 would give you a little more magnification. personally, i think it's tough to go wrong with the 5.5-22, but if you want a little more magnification, go with the 8-32. hard to go wrong either way.

Rob1 hits the nail on the head. If you are shooting long range with the 338, you'll need a lot of elevation travel inside the scope. The little bit of magnification gain that you'll get from the 32X is at a cost of giving away elevation.

Jeffvn

I agree with Rob and Jeff. If you are truly going to be shooting at extreme ranges, elevation adjustment is much more critical. Another option, though, would be to go with the 8-32 and then incorporate a set of adjustable elevation rings, such as the Ivey Rt-150's. This would give you all of the benefits of more magnification and elevation adjustments.

8-32 is only going to be good for around 1000yds because youll run out of elevation. get the 5.5-22x56. with the 8-32 youll have problems with heat waves on days over 70degrees or if you fire multi. shots rapidly.

The reticle is more important than the power. The clarity of the scope is more important than the power. More than 22x is not often usable due to mirage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reticle is more important than the power. The clarity of the scope is more important than the power. More than 22x is not often usable due to mirage. </div></div>

Good point, I have the savgage 110ba for shooting 1 mile to 2000 yards and possibly beyond. I went with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 mil/mil HS zerostop and couldn't be happier!

I'd go 5.5-22x for the additional elevation adjustment, and the fact that mirage often kills the use of higher magnification anyway. The range I shoot at most often has some really killer mirage, which sometimes necessitates magnification below 10x. I imagine there are quite a few days when I could crank the power between 15-20x, but still not get to 30+ due to mirage.

Like others have said, elevation is probably more of a concern. The nf 5.5-22x is probably my top choice but I went with the Sightron 6-24x which has the same 100 Moa elevation and has worked out really well.

Alaska bush man - the rem will drop straight into an la aics but be aware it'll use non cip length mags. Not sure if the new ax chassis solves this?

What distance are you refering to as "long distance"? I ask because the difference between 1200 yards and 2000 yards can make a big difference in optic choice. People are answering your question but assuming your optic needs 100 moa of total vertical travel, not sure if that is true or not.

On the magnification side, do you have an issue controlling recoil? Rifle weight, muzzle device, shooting position etc? If you are having to spot your own shots, I doubt you would ever go beyond 20x very often.

You can't substitute magnification, if you can afford a scope with top end of 32-42x by all means get one and get a set of tapered rings so you can have enough elevation to reach the intended target.

Sightron S-III 8-32X56 with the LRMOA reticle. Mirage is handy to see out there. Crank it up then crank it back if need be. I use a 15min Leopold rail with the 30mm Signature Z rings with inserts for extra elevation adjustments if needed. I run this set-up on a 16lb. custom 300RUM with good results.

The posters above have been right to stress having tons of elevation. It is very easy to bottom out at the extended ranges. For my money I would go with the 5.5-22 Nightforce.