• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best practices on how to sort brass?

EN2722

It’ll buff
Minuteman
  • May 27, 2019
    The Green Mountain State
    Greetings everyone,

I was catching up on watching videos on YouTube and came across Piet and his video "How much does a Pro Shooter shoot in a year" and as soon as the video started on the left side of the screen you'll notice he has empty containers on a shelf to sort brass. It also came to mind when I was reading another Hide member's post about how he conducted a test of the majority of brass manufactures and what case volume was obtained and compared to velocity. He stated that he uses serial numbers on all his casings to keep track of them all and to help identify them into batches. I thought that was interesting and very time-intensive. However, both of those examples got me thinking about my system and wondering what others do to tame the chaos of collecting and sorting brass.

My System:
    It's quite simple, however, at times I question if the batch that I'm holding has 2x or 3x firings; hence the question. I'm repurposing empty Gain laundry pod containers. This is due to a family of five with three children all under the age of 9. We do roughly 3 to 5 loads of laundry a day! So I take them and simply write with a sharpie the case manufacturer and caliber on the side. Inside, I use gallon zip lock bags (I know, cheap) with 1, 2, 3, etc etched on the side to separate the brass by the number of firings. Then they are smartly organized on a shelf in my reloading area.

E8E7AC75-54B9-4393-943A-20680D8D01AB.jpeg

The Question:
    What is your system?
    How do you break down the number of firings?
    How do you store everything?
    Pictures welcome!

Thanks!

I buy lapua brass. I write on the box when i load em and also on the label on the box the finished round goes into. Thats how i keep track. When the brass is shot out i toss the lapua boxes and scrape the labels off

Reactions: EN2722
    I try to buy and treat brass in one batch for one caliber, that way all of my brass has the same number firings. I have used other methods as well, like putting a dash on the ammo box overtime I reload the brass, but then I had brass married to a particular box.

I buy lapua brass. I write on the box when i load em and also on the label on the box the finished round goes into. Thats how i keep track. When the brass is shot out i toss the lapua boxes and scrape the labels off

How do you store them so you do not mix them up?

I try to buy and treat brass in one batch for one caliber, that way all of my brass has the same number firings. I have used other methods as well, like putting a dash on the ammo box overtime I reload the brass, but then I had brass married to a particular box.

I also thought of doing something similar, however, I’ve yet to come back from a training session or match with 100% of the brass that was brought. Really frustrating.

I also mark them with a sharpie in hopes that it is easier to identify while on the ground!

How do you store them so you do not mix them up?
    I store the fired brass in the lapua box that it can in. I mark the box for every firing. When i load it they go into 100 round MTM plastic boxes and they get marked lapua with how many times fired. Once i get to 10 firings i just dump em into a container and forget about em. When i start doing PRS and theres a leave brass behind match i will load up my tenth fired cases so im not out much

I store the fired brass in the lapua box that it can in. I mark the box for every firing. When i load it they go into 100 round MTM plastic boxes and they get marked lapua with how many times fired. Once i get to 10 firings i just dump em into a container and forget about em. When i start doing PRS and theres a leave brass behind match i will load up my tenth fired cases so im not out much

That makes perfect sense.

I also use the MTM cases to store loaded ammo and that’s how I carry them to matches.

I made these after I learned this from someone at a shooting class. These little papers stay with the brass at all times and I can make extra papers to go in each loaded MTM case. Once they are shot, the brass and the paper gets put into a ziplock bag and stored for when I am ready to reload the whole batch again.

The papers also make it really easy to remember what step of the reloading process I am on, as the paper follows the brass through the entire process.
    17B45D7F-8AB7-4734-9463-FF178F30A020.jpeg

I used to have Folgers coffee cans everywhere with useless data marked with masking tape and sharpie.

Now I use my AMP annealer as a 'reset' button on brass and treat all fired cases the same.

I've verified the actual max case length in my rifle by chambering a fired case and looking down from muzzle with a borescope and I don't trim until i'm within 10 thou of that.

When a primer presses into the pocket with noticeably less effort, I mark that case with a red marker and toss it after that firing. In my experience, a batch of cases do not all wear out at once, even when loaded the same each time and there is no reason to retire a batch just because one or two have loosened pockets.

A family friend runs a local orchard. They “make” caramels and fudges, and the caramel comes to them in white 1 gallon buckets with snap on lids. I grab a few buckets every year and sort my ever-growing brass stash into different processing stages, # of firings, and I also separate pistol brass into nickel and brass batches. I mark the processing step, caliber, rifle brass # of firings, and nickel/brass onto Frog Tape for ease of changing the buckets around when I finish up with a batch.

Attachments

• 14241D5A-E60B-4190-BE01-759146282849.jpeg
      14241D5A-E60B-4190-BE01-759146282849.jpeg
      235 KB · Views: 50
    I use plastic tupperware-like bins stored on a shelf rack with wheels. The bins are marked “1x”, “2x”, “3x” etc as well as the caliber (5.56 NATO, .308 Win, 300 WM, etc), brass manufacturer plus head stamp (“Federal 14”, “LC LR 07” and so forth). Brass shot from the session, which was prob once fired before that day, gets dumped into the appropriate 2x fired bin.

I made these after I learned this from someone at a shooting class. These little papers stay with the brass at all times and I can make extra papers to go in each loaded MTM case. Once they are shot, the brass and the paper gets put into a ziplock bag and stored for when I am ready to reload the whole batch again.

The papers also make it really easy to remember what step of the reloading process I am on, as the paper follows the brass through the entire process.
    View attachment 7329600

Now that is an excellent idea!

Thank you, I'll be adding these into my process!

I used to have Folgers coffee cans everywhere with useless data marked with masking tape and sharpie.

Now I use my AMP annealer as a 'reset' button on brass and treat all fired cases the same.

I've verified the actual max case length in my rifle by chambering a fired case and looking down from muzzle with a borescope and I don't trim until i'm within 10 thou of that.

When a primer presses into the pocket with noticeably less effort, I mark that case with a red marker and toss it after that firing. In my experience, a batch of cases do not all wear out at once, even when loaded the same each time and there is no reason to retire a batch just because one or two have loosened pockets.

I also have noticed the same in reference to cases wearing at different intervals. I have some after 6 or 7 firings when seating a primer I thought I didn't have one loaded in the seating arm when I took the case out it appeared deeper than normal so I used it for practice ammo.

Is annealing cases really worth it?

A family friend runs a local orchard. They “make” caramels and fudges, and the caramel comes to them in white 1 gallon buckets with snap on lids. I grab a few buckets every year and sort my ever-growing brass stash into different processing stages, # of firings, and I also separate pistol brass into nickel and brass batches. I mark the processing step, caliber, rifle brass # of firings, and nickel/brass onto Frog Tape for ease of changing the buckets around when I finish up with a batch.

Definitely a good idea for pistol ammo. However, I'm not sure I have enough rifle cases to justify buckets that size. It does make storing much easier when everything is the same shape and size.

Reactions: Anb618
    I use plastic tupperware-like bins stored on a shelf rack with wheels. The bins are marked “1x”, “2x”, “3x” etc as well as the caliber (5.56 NATO, .308 Win, 300 WM, etc), brass manufacturer plus head stamp (“Federal 14”, “LC LR 07” and so forth). Brass shot from the session, which was prob once fired before that day, gets dumped into the appropriate 2x fired bin.

Would you happen to have a picture of it?
    How many Tupperware bins do you have on a shelf?

I keep batches separate in MTM cases as well. I use a sharpie on the inside to track how many firings and what prep has been done and I only process that box at a time.

Would you happen to have a picture of it?
    How many Tupperware bins do you have on a shelf?

Sure, here you go. I only keep brass on that shelf if it’s being actively loaded. Have tons of brass elsewhere that isn’t currently in use.

833C9715-E95A-4D7F-A543-3D94E978C77D.jpeg
    BAED960B-E391-44C5-8975-8D087C8F99A4.jpeg

The brass im ready to work with (ie brass that has already gone through cleaning and initial prep) is placed in the smaller gray bins (one bin for each system) and is ready for final assembly.
    DADF0C0E-0E0D-4FE8-8949-475167A4F260.jpeg

Last edited:
    I also have noticed the same in reference to cases wearing at different intervals. I have some after 6 or 7 firings when seating a primer I thought I didn't have one loaded in the seating arm when I took the case out it appeared deeper than normal so I used it for practice ammo.

Lots of debate on annealing. So many variables. I have the amp annealer and it works as advertised. My efforts with a torch and socket were not good at all. If you’re paying a lot for brass and it’s loosing it’s flavor

If brass is expensive and it’s annealed correctly, I say yes

I dont shoot brass that I dont care about the results of so I dont dump them into a bulk anything. They all go in a plastic ammo box and stay there with their family until they get thrown out. I write the pertinent load details for the rifle they are for on some masking tape and the number of firings. I always know where my brass is and whats been done to it.

For those that lose cases...

You know there are these magical things called brass catchers. I have a lyman tacstar catcher for my guns, gas guns and bolt guns, works like a fucking charm. I hated losing brass. Especially hated losing brass that invested time in prepping.

I personally have my 308 brass in MTM boxes like spife. They stay in their boxes unless they get thrown out for some reason. They get done as batches. All get done at the same time an at the same stage. I just throw in a note about what stage they are on and go forward. I don't care about # of firings anymore. I'll load the case until they won't hold a primer or the neck splits.

Lots of debate on annealing. So many variables. I have the amp annealer and it works as advertised. My efforts with a torch and socket were not good at all. If you’re paying a lot for brass and it’s loosing it’s flavor

If brass is expensive and it’s annealed correctly, I say yes

Which makes perfect sense.

As with most processes of reloading it’s really flavor dependent. What one person does, another thinks it’s pointless and vice versa.

For those that lose cases...

You know there are these magical things called brass catchers. I have a lyman tacstar catcher for my guns, gas guns and bolt guns, works like a fucking charm. I hated losing brass. Especially hated losing brass that invested time in prepping.

I personally have my 308 brass in MTM boxes like spife. They stay in their boxes unless they get thrown out for some reason. They get done as batches. All get done at the same time an at the
    same stage. I just throw in a note about what stage they are on and go forward. I don't care about # of firings anymore. I'll load the case until they won't hold a primer or the neck splits.

I have not looked at brass catchers, good point.

Sure, here you go. I only keep brass on that shelf if it’s being actively loaded. Have tons of brass elsewhere that isn’t currently in use.

View attachment 7329723View attachment 7329724
    The brass im ready to work with (ie brass that has already gone through cleaning and initial prep) is placed in the smaller gray bins (one bin for each system) and is ready for final assembly.
    View attachment 7329739

Thanks for the pictures. It appears that you have a well thought out process that works well! One thing I’ve found out is being OCD about organization helps keep things in their place.

Thanks again for the pictures.

Thanks for the pictures. It appears that you have a well thought out process that works well! One thing I’ve found out is being OCD about organization helps keep things in their place.

Thanks again for the pictures.

You’re welcome! Yes I am a bit OCD when it comes to reloading, lol.

First Buy Peanut Butter Pretzels in large square contianer. Second Eat said snack. Third wash out empty container. Fourth Label 6.5 CM 3x 308 4x for what ever you are going to put in there. Fifth upon return from range deprime empties and toss into container. Stack on shelf until ready to reload. Have extra containers for used during reloading process (Clean Brass, Trimmed Brass, Sized Brass, Primed Brass) Key is the Peanut Butter Pretzels in the whole operation. Costco Cashews are good too, only hold 200 cases

First Buy Peanut Butter Pretzels in large square contianer. Second Eat said snack. Third wash out empty container. Fourth Label 6.5 CM 3x 308 4x for what ever you are going to put in there. Fifth upon return from range deprime empties and toss into container. Stack on shelf until ready to reload. Have extra containers for used during reloading process (Clean Brass, Trimmed Brass, Sized Brass, Primed Brass) Key is the Peanut Butter Pretzels in the whole operation. Costco Cashews are good too, only hold 200 cases
    A true win win situation

Nothing better than eating snacks and looking at the container and saying to yourself, this container has a purpose, thanks snacks! Hahaha

Reactions: isofahunter