• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Precision Model 70 Smith?

10generation

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
California
Guys,

I've got a model 70 in .243 that I want to convert to .260. Love the action but know that most of the precision guys are working on 700's. Wondering if there is anyone out there known to be great at building accurate long range model 70 rifles?

Thanks for the help.

10gen

Dave Young, Young's guns,Sand Coulee Mt. Don't know as he is the best as that is certainly open for debate but he sure builds shooters.

Longrifles (Chad Dixon); GA Precision; Meredith Rifles. ...

Only problem you have is making a selection.

Matt Parry at Parry Custom Gun. He is in NW OK and does a fantastic job with all bolt rifles. I have seen several of his mod 70 rifles shoot fantastic at matches and punch little bitty ragged holes on paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had GA Precision rebarrel one of my M-70s to 260 with a fluted Bartlein medium palma barrel. Love it and it shoots excellent. GAP is one of the few out there that will more often than not, get the job done and returned to you in the time frame quoted.

Thanks very much, did not know Gap worked on M70's. This is a great list to start some conversations. Thanks guys.

Guys,

I've got a model 70 in .243 that I want to convert to .260. Love the action but know that most of the precision guys are working on 700's. Wondering if there is anyone out there known to be great at building accurate long range model 70 rifles?

Thanks for the help.

10gen

Where are you at in CA? I know for sure that the old fart @ JG in Granite Bay can do a very good job with a mdl 70, there's also a guy in the bay area but the name escapes me. Oh yeah Spartan Rifles is in San Jose too.

I have three M70s by Gap. A 300 win mag push feed and two FN SPRs in 260. All of them are great shooters, the price was reasonable and I got them in a decent time frame.

Marc Soulie at Spartan Rifles in San Jose builds rifles on M70 actions as well. He is very reasonable and his lead times arent crazy (yet!)

Cant go wrong either way

GAP

FN Action, hinged floor plate
22" .308 1n11", fluted, 5/8x24, Badger mini FTE/thread protector
Manners, TA
NF 3.5-15X50 , older mil/MLR/ZS
Harris 6-9 BRS w/pod loc.

14 pounds exactly as pictured.

Mark

009_zps9f7b7f1c.jpg

008_zps18018aeb.jpg

004_zpsaf19f237.jpg

006_zps2372ed62.jpg

010_zps246e394d.jpg

011_zps0d943141.jpg

GAP

FN Action, hinged floor plate
22" .308 1n11", fluted, 5/8x24, Badger mini FTE/thread protector
Manners, TA
NF 3.5-15X50 , older mil/MLR/ZS
Harris 6-9 BRS w/pod loc.

14 pounds exactly as pictured.

Mark

009_zps9f7b7f1c.jpg

008_zps18018aeb.jpg

004_zpsaf19f237.jpg

006_zps2372ed62.jpg

010_zps246e394d.jpg

011_zps0d943141.jpg

What color is this stock?

Moon just finished a build on a fn action for me. Color on the stock above looks like OD, earth brown and desert sand to me.

Last edited:
I sent FN actions to both krieger and benchmark barrels to install and chamber their own barrels, both did great work.

GAP or APA. Had a GAP build in 308 off a FN action that shot lights out and functioned flawlessly. Think it may have been a Moon build during his tenure. Had Jarod at APA build me a 338WM with Bartlien 4 contour barrel and McM stock--hunting stick, but simply amazing as well.

Moon, GAP, Spartan, Short Action Customs, Chad etc...will all do great work for you.

Moon just called me yesterday and finished the action truing and install on my Pre64 target. Duplicated the contour of the original barrel and kept it in .30-06. He's shipping it back to me today. Should have it in a couple of days. Will post some pics. when I get it back.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Just got around to taking pics. of the Model 70 Pre64 target I got back from Moon. He trued the action, bolt and chambered and installed the barrel for me. Replicated the factory style crown as well. Now I can start doing the finish work and assy.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels