• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Precision Rifle Equipment: What The Pro's Use

calz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
A few months ago, I ran across a great post by jasonk that many of you guys may be familiar with. It had some very interesting info in it, so I asked Rich Emmons (the guy who originally compiled the data) if I could do some analysis on it, try to find patterns, and see if I could find good ways to show it visually to share on PrecisionRifleBlog.com.

After weeks of working on it, I’ve now published a 6 part series of articles that looks at the equipment that the top 50 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series used at the most recent season finale. Since the hide was the place that originally inspired me to do all that analysis, I wanted to share some of the highlights with you guys. I would’ve posted more, but there is a limit on how many images links you can post. If you want to see more, I included links to the full articles for each topic.

[size=+1]Meet The Pros[/size]
The Precision Rifle Series (PRS) is a championship style point series race based on the best precision rifle matches nationwide. PRS matches are recognized as the major league of sniper-style rifle matches. At the end of each year, the scores from 15 different matches are evaluated and the top 50 shooters nationwide are invited to compete head to head in the PRS Finale Match. The info below is based on the equipment those pros brought with them to the most recent finale. This is a great set of data, because 50 shooters is a significant sample size, and this particular group are also considered experts among experts. To find out more about the PRS, check out What Is The Precision Rifle Series?

[size=+1]1: Caliber & Cartridges[/size]

top-calibers-and-cartridges-used-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs.jpg

top-20-fnishes-by-caliber-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs.jpg

Although the perennial favorite 260 Remington remained the most popular choice, many of the top competitors seem to be choosing 6mm bullets fired out of cartridges like the 6XC, 243 Win, and even a few like the 6×47 Lapua or the 6mm Creedmoor that are necked down versions of more modern cartridge designs. In fact, there were almost as many people choosing 6mm as 6.5mm cartridges. However, it turns out those using 6mm bullets finished 13 places higher on the leader board on average than those using 6.5mm bullets.

To view the full post on calibers and cartridges, visit: Best Long-Range Rifle Cartridges: What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

[size=+1]2: Scopes & Reticles[/size]

most-popular-scope-manufacturers-reticle-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs.jpg

I also posted links to the most popular scope models used, what the top 20 finishers used, and an image of every reticle used for easy side-by-side comparison. To view the full post on optics, visit: Best Long-Range Scopes: What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

[size=+1]3: Gunsmiths, Actions, Barrels & Stocks[/size]

finish-by-rifle-builder-gunsmith-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs1.jpg

finish-by-rifle-barrel-manufacturer-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs1.jpg

There are a lot more charts and info on this topic that I couldn’t squeeze in here. It also looks at the stocks used by the top shooters. To view the full post on gunsmiths, actions, barrels & stocks, visit: Best Gunsmiths, Actions, Barrels & Stocks: What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

[size=+1]4: Bullets & Powders[/size]

6mm-bullets-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-psr.jpg

6mm-rifle-powder-by-bullet-weight-class-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs.jpg

In the post, there is also a breakdown of specific bullets used by caliber (including 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm, plus what powders people were using for those calibers and bullet weights). To view the full post on bullets & powders, visit: Precision Bullets & Powders: What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

[size=+1]5: Suppressors & Muzzle Brakes[/size]

suppressor-or-muzzle-brake-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs.jpg

precision-rifle-muzzle-brakes-used-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs.jpg

The full post has a breakdown of the most popular brands of muzzle brakes and suppressors. There are also photos of each of the muzzle brakes, and a table of specs and pricing for each the suppressors. To view the full post on suppressors and muzzle brakes, visit: Best Precision Suppressor & Muzzle Brake: What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

[size=+1]6: Rear Bag Shooting Rest[/size]

shooting-rest-rear-bag-used-in-2013-precision-rifle-series-prs1.jpg

I also posted photos, specs, pricing & links for each of the shooting bags listed to make side-by-side comparison easier. To view the full post on rear bags, visit: Best Rear Bag Shooting Rest: What The Pros Use | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Hope you guys find this helpful. This is certainly some great info for guys just starting out. Thanks again to Rich Emmons & the Precision Rifle Series for sharing it with the shooting community and allowing me to crunch the data and repost it.

Last edited:
Dang, thanks for the info. This thread is like the "Hide Consumer Report."

Very interesting! Thanks for compiling and posting your results. Did anyone use a semi-auto? (i.e. GAP-10).

Excellent job, thanks for compiling and posting the data. Gives a very interesting look at what the top folks consider their "go to" gear. Not too many surprises but having it all in one place is unusual but very appreciated. I'm sure some folks that are on the fence for certain gear and your data should help make their decision a little more clear.

It will be interesting to see what the results are this year after the finale, which is coming up in 2 months (that was last years). I want to know how many 6mm's have been replaced by 6.5's, due to impacts not being spotted in matches with high mirage. Bigger bullets have a bigger splash and more energy to move targets at distance.

Best Precision Rifle Equipment: What The Pro's Use

Or, one could simply throw a tantrum in favor of making match directors invest in monitoring equipment which will register a small caliber hit on a distant plate. [Not directed against anyone in particular]

... And people wonder how IPSC got off track. LOL!

Last edited:
Or, one could simply throw a tantrum in favor of making match directors invest in monitoring equipment which will register a small caliber hit on a distant plate. [Not directed against anyone in particular]

... And people wonder how IPSC got off track. LOL!

I'm not complaining, or speaking against match directors Graham. I have much respect for the headaches that MD's and volunteers have to deal with. I shot 2 PRS matches, and RO'd another this year. It's just a fact that when there is a lot of mirage, it's harder to spot smaller impacts at distance. I've talked to a few that are moving/have moved back to 6.5's. Hope to see you in February!

It can go both ways. I shot the Terry Cross/Jim Clark match with my 260. Casey went down into the pits to call hits/miss on the 1030 yd target since mirage was so bad. I got no calls on all my shots from the firing line. I fired 3 shots before I changed my solution, when Casey came back from the pits I learned that my first 3 shots were hits. I wish I would have stuck to my first call. Ohh well, any first found hit at that distance is all I need to make me happy. At that time I was thinking about how a bigger round might have helped me, but again, the smaller 260 helped me in many other stages, its all a give and take with calibers.

All that data will change this year I am sure,

That's a good info sheet, I hope you do another this year as well, excited to see the results

Barrel manufacturers, rifle builders, and scopes (Bushnell specifically) are the three things dictated by sponsorship. That being said, I don't think someone is going to handicap themselves while trying to shoot their best. I would say that about 50-60% of the shooters at last years Finale were team shooters.

That's a good info sheet, I hope you do another this year as well, excited to see the results

You are exactly right, and Rich and I have already talked about doing this again after this year's finale. It will be interesting to watch what the trends are in precision shooting over time.

Uh oh, My Bartlein barreled, Surgeon action is chambered in a 7mm cartridge, I have zero statistical chance of making the top 20!

Very interesting! Thanks for compiling and posting your results. Did anyone use a semi-auto? (i.e. GAP-10).

I too am interested in this.....why no gas guns--at all?

Probably something obvious, it's just missing my brain.

Thanks.

Like others have said, Thank You for taking the time and effort to compile the results in such a well organized and visual manner. Would love to see it for this year too.

Also, just curious if stats on the handedness of the shooters could also be collected, if any? just for kicks.

I'll echo the thankful appreciation yet again...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

Thanks, excellent information and very easy to understand.

I think we will see the 6's start to fade as well. Dont get me wrong they are bad ass but just dont last long enough and can be a little rough to spot hits at distance.

I love this post-unvarnished facts-no fan boy hoopla. If you want a winning rifle combo (one proven to be competitive on the highest end), you'll need to shoot 243 or 6Xc, Surgeon, Kreiger, S&B-MSR, load 105 Bergers over H4350, finish it off with a JEC Brake, and a STR8 Laced Gun Gear shooting rest. Winning is winning. I was surprised at the guns that aren't even mentioned (zero)!!! I'm not going to mention brands, or smiths, but I wouldn't be surprised that some of the fan boys are shocked that "their" super smoke pole, along with "their" favorite smith isn't well represented! Nonetheless, congrats to those that made the list, especially those that made the top 10! You didn't get there by accident, God Bless.

Uh oh, My Bartlein barreled, Surgeon action is chambered in a 7mm cartridge, I have zero statistical chance of making the top 20!

And statistically, a Ferrari 458 has zero chances of winning local circle-track races. The relevance of this type of data to one's personal purchases has everything to do with the intended goals for the tool in question.

Excellent compilation of data. One thing that is interesting to me and I didn't see is barrel lengths. Is there raw data for that? Some people run 28+ inch barrels to get the most velocity, but it is very unwieldy with a suppressor!

Excellent compilation of data. One thing that is interesting to me and I didn't see is barrel lengths. Is there raw data for that? Some people run 28+ inch barrels to get the most velocity, but it is very unwieldy with a suppressor!

That would also be interesting info to know. To see what the Pro's compromise on. velocity v.s. maneuverability and portability.