• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Predator Hunting Caliber

I have shot coyotes with 243, 243 Ackley, 223, 204, and a ton with 22/250. I used several bullets, but nothing that is really a normal boutique bullet.

Allegedly, Berger 105 VLD Hunting bullets in a fast 6 mm leave small holes for 6 mm. I never had a gun that would shoot them until I got into long range shooting. Once that happened, I started shooting matches. I got a new job so I could afford to shoot matches and a variety of other reasons, and the coyote calling all but stopped. I go 2 or 3 times a year now.

For a DRT gun where fur doesn't matter, the 105 AMAX at almost 3200 fps out of my 243 Ackley is the best I have shot. Out to 300 yards a 22/250 with 55 Nosler BTs or 50 VMAX is just as good. I live in south central Iowa and the coyotes here are a little bigger than in the plains areas of the west, but I rarely had problems with pass-throughs with those bullets at 3700-3900 fps. I ran 70 Nosler BT out of a 243 and if you hit flesh inside 500 yards it would generally put them down right there. Those made a mess about 50% of the time.

I have also used 80 and 85 gr spire point bullets in 243 and 243 Ackley. They are good unless you hit bone. Then they make a volleyball sized hole. NO GOOD for saving fur. The best fur bullet I have used in 6mm is the 75 grain Hornady hp. They killed like lightning to 300 yards and I never had a bad blow out.

204 was good to 200-250 using 40 VMAX. Past that it would kill, but they rarely dropped in their tracks.

I shot 22/250 for a number of years and tried a bunch of bullets. The old timers say a 50-55 grain varmint hp is the best bullet for coyotes. I was stubborn and tried the berger 55 target hp because it had a better bc. It left runners even on 100 yard shots. The shots at 200+ required tracking every time. The 55 spire points worked okay to about 200 yards. After that I would get runners. I killed the most and had the most success with 55 Nosler Ballistic Tip and 50 grain VMAX. Inside 300 yards they were dead when hit. After that they would tend to run, but not out of sight. On shots much over 400 yards they normally made it out of sight.

I will echo the fox warning. The few fox I have shot with 22/250 have been with 55 ballistic tips and 53 VMAX. All of the fox I have called have come close enough to kill with a slingshot. They were normally in 2 or 3 pieces held together by little flaps of skin.

There are always tradeoffs with calling guns. You just have to decide which tradeoffs you are okay with.

I will also mention, that in a semi auto, 224 Valkyrie slinging light bullets (55 or 60 gr) is something to consider if you want a bit more smack out of an AR. This is my current night-hunting choice. Thermal scope, semi-auto for fast and easy followups, and Valkyrie for knockdown power.

I will also mention, that in a semi auto, 224 Valkyrie slinging light bullets (55 or 60 gr) is something to consider if you want a bit more smack out of an AR. This is my current night-hunting choice. Thermal scope, semi-auto for fast and easy followups, and Valkyrie for knockdown power.
My guess is that is comparable to 22/250 and would be about perfect for night hunting.

Have run a 243 w 75 gr V Max bullets and it was pretty good on pelts w small or no exit holes. Different results were a 39 lb coyote go 10 yards to a 26 lb drop in its tracks. All were around 100 yards.

I’ve have used or still use, 17hmr, 22hornet, 204, 20 tac, 223, 22-250, 243, 6mm creed, 25 creed and 260 rem.

My main predator rifle is the 20 tac. Love the thing. With 39gr blitzkings it’s lightening fast, with excellent down range performance and ballistics are great on that little combo. With fur in mind the 35 gr bergers rarely exit and dump coyotes.

My back up or on set ups where shots are particularly longer then the 6 creed comes out. During the prime fur season nothing really sees use other then the 20’s. That said in spring through fall, anything works and works well lol

Reactions: KenRUM
My guess is that is comparable to 22/250 and would be about perfect for night hunting.
It is in my opinion. Built it with a JP barrel and bolt, and an aero precision builder set in Vietnam Tigerstripe, but the brown is burnt bronze. Shoots sub-moa, might even be half moa but it’s hard to print groups that small with a thermal, so not sure how good it actually is. It is my first build, and I LOVE IT!

I’m running a couple of 22 Creedmoor‘s right now. One on an Impact action the other a REM 700. Same reamer for both. Running 75 gr eldm’s at the moment and they are a coyote hammer. Pushing them 3550 fps out of 23” barrel. Only downside is the availability of components