• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Press for precision .308 reloading

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about doing some reloading for precision 308.

In the past I've had the dillon 550 and a Super 1050 but I'm not sure a progressive press would work well for loading very detailed match ammo.

So what do you guys recommend?

R.

Re: Best Press for precision .308 reloading

A skilled reloader can use pretty much any set of tools and construct "lights out" ammo. Around here, you will find Forster Co-ax, Redding, RCBS, Dillon progressives all beinig high on anyones list.

"A skilled reloader can use pretty much any set of tools and construct "lights out" ammo."

Very true. Dies are far more important than the press and conventional dies vary as much between sets of the same brand as between brands. The ONLY threaded dies that are fairly consistantly very good are by Forster and Redding, and those not by a massive amount over a good set of conventional dies.

By "good" conventional dies, I DON'T mean a given brand or price. All dies are made to SAAMI specs, no more and no less, and that's a range, not a specific point. So, we have to take a new set and actually measure the results to see what we have. If any die is good - meaning it closely matches your chamber - the brand doesn't matter. If it isn't good, get another set and try again. I've found it rare for a good sizer to accompany a really good seater in a set so my using die sets are quite mixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A skilled reloader can use pretty much any set of tools and construct "lights out" ammo. Around here, you will find Forster Co-ax, Redding, RCBS, Dillon progressives all beinig high on anyones list. </div></div>

I agree 100% need to know how to use what you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowhuntr09</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I haven't been here long, but I think the standard answer is Forster Co-Ax. </div></div>

Thats what I use, just loaded 50 for practice, checked every single one on a Sinclair concentricity gauge, only 2 loaded rounds had more than .002 runout, I use Redding dies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A skilled reloader can use pretty much any set of tools and construct "lights out" ammo. </div></div>
Yelp! I loaded on a pre 60's era CH Tool & Die press for several years starting out, and made very good ammo. However, I'm not a fan of the Lee presses. Seen too many of them break.

+1 RickP on the forster coax.

Its an innovative press that stands out from the rest... plus its red
laugh.gif

I've been very happy with a Redding T-7 turret.

You can put 7 dies in the toolhead and rotate to whichever one you want to use. I used to have a couple of nice single stage presses, but I sold them and now have 2 T-7's set up on my bench. One is for small primer and one for large primer so that I can load anything pretty quickly without changeover time.

I've not seen any difference in quality whatsoever using this press vs a single stage.

Hope that helps!

Rickp,

By the way, if you do want to load on a 550 or 650, check out whidden gunworks shellplates. John Whidden is a 3 time highpower long range champion and loads all his rounds on a 650.

nothing beats an arbor press and wilson dies for tuning loads at range.

Hey guys,
I got rid of the dillon stuff. Wasn't happy with it to be honest. Their powder system SUCKS!!

I like the t-7 concept, but i hear a lot of good things about the Co-Ax press too. Any considerations on these I should know about?

R.

Forster. Hands down. Forster dies too...as good as Redding but not as pretty. Great customer service. JMHO

Well, the T7 is probably the best turret press you can get

And the Forster C0-Ax is probably the best single stage press you can get.

Either of the two and you have the best of either world so the choice is yours really.

To me, die changing isnt a big deal and I do everything in stages so to me the co-ax has the most appeal

Rick,
Get a hold of me during the Christmas break, I took a few days off to be with the kids, You can load on my Forster Co-AX press with Forster Co-ax dies.

By the way I listen very closely when 427Cobra and Chadtrg42 speak.

Jack

Lee classic cause it's red.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haldir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee classic cause it's red.</div></div>

+1 it is as valid a reason as any.

It is also cheap which means you can divert cash to where it counts - scales, dies, concentricity guage and quality brass.

I don't agree that standard dies produce ammo nearly as good as competition dies. Apart from the Lee Collet dies the standard die I have seen can produce hellish variation in runout.

Lots of people seem to want to spend $$ on a press but I don't see how that influences quality ammunition output. If you want to 'cos you want to have 'good' kit then fine, but in my experience it isn't important.

Buy a guage. Get some quality processes applied to you ammo. Manufacturing companies have QA/QC for a reason.

Too many $$ spent on accurizing the 'system' while feeding rounds of unknown quality IMHO. Been there, done it, not going back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of people seem to want to spend $$ on a press but I don't see how that influences quality ammunition output.</div></div>

You need to go to the Forster site and read about the the floating shell holder jaws etc. They make some of the straightest rounds you can get, second only to maybe an arbor press. After reading about it you have to experience one in action. It is hands down, the easiest press I have ever had the pleasure of using. It's hard to believe that there could be that much difference in single stage presses but this one has made a believer out of me.

Another thing that is worth the extra $ is the primer seating ability of the coax. Read about that too. It seats them to the same depth, exactly the same every time. This especially a good safety feature if you are shooting an auto loader.

I'm not sure how much more accurate your rounds will be coming off of this or one of the other top end presses, using top quality dies and such but I am confident that you won't be second guessing them.

Cry Once and be done with it.

But is it the correct answer ?
I think for "precision " I would buy this http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?crn=205&rn=383&action=show_detail
or a Wilson arbour press and dies.
The press is important to concentric ammo. No matter how perfect your dies are if the press is crooked it will affect the quality of the outcome.
That's why they started using arbour presses and dies with no threads to take out the press ram to thread to die alighnment issues .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A skilled reloader can use pretty much any set of tools and construct "lights out" ammo. </div></div>
Yelp! I loaded on a pre 60's era CH Tool & Die press for several years starting out, and made very good ammo. However, I'm not a fan of the Lee presses. Seen too many of them break. </div></div>

hmmmm I have a Lee Classic. Just starting to get into reloading. I'm currently about to do my first few test batches with 9mm. Sorry don't mean to hijack (or if this question seems stupid, as I am new) but seeing I have a Lee Classic should I stick with Lee dies or will other dies fit? I have already purchased Lee dies for my 9mm and 5.56 but have not yet for the .308 so would like to go the best route for the .308.

Thanks

The best press for precision is an Arbor Press.

For volume and speed the T7 or Co-Ax

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A skilled reloader can use pretty much any set of tools and construct "lights out" ammo. </div></div>
Yelp! I loaded on a pre 60's era CH Tool & Die press for several years starting out, and made very good ammo. However, I'm not a fan of the Lee presses. Seen too many of them break. </div></div>

Chad,

Still use a C&H single station "H" press, had it for at least 30 years. But I do have a newer one I used for heavy case forming, a RCBS A4 Big Max, it's only 22 years old....And they both still make very good precision reloads.

A well built press can last several lifetimes. You can still find excellent used C&H Champions (a Rockchucker style press on steroids), C&H, 1, 2 , 3 or 4 station "H" style, and RCBS A2's, A4's, Texan's, and Hollywood SR's on E-Bay. Many times for a fraction of the cost charged for new presses. And the older heavier one's are cast steel, not cast iron like today's presses.

The Bonanza/Forster Co-AX is still a good one, new or used.

Bob

Press selection is pretty much personal preference, as long as the press allows you to load the cartridge you want then you are good to go. The dies are more crucial IMO than the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry don't mean to hijack (or if this question seems stupid, as I am new) but seeing I have a Lee Classic should I stick with Lee dies or will other dies fit? I have already purchased Lee dies for my 9mm and 5.56 but have not yet for the .308 so would like to go the best route for the .308.
</div></div>

Your question will get better attention if you start another thread but hell we all do it once in a while.

I have limited experience with Lee presses. Short answer is, most dies are made to fit most presses. Some have special collars that they use for quick die changing. If your press uses them, then you will need to get them separately. For example, I currently have a Forster press. If I want to use an RCBS die, I would have to remove the RCBS collar and replace it with a Forster collar. No big deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Headgear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry don't mean to hijack (or if this question seems stupid, as I am new) but seeing I have a Lee Classic should I stick with Lee dies or will other dies fit? I have already purchased Lee dies for my 9mm and 5.56 but have not yet for the .308 so would like to go the best route for the .308.
</div></div>

Your question will get better attention if you start another thread but hell we all do it once in a while.

I have limited experience with Lee presses. Short answer is, most dies are made to fit most presses. Some have special collars that they use for quick die changing. If your press uses them, then you will need to get them separately. For example, I currently have a Forster press. If I want to use an RCBS die, I would have to remove the RCBS collar and replace it with a Forster collar. No big deal.

</div></div>

Ok cool thanks for the response headgear

I never really considered the press all that important for match rifle ammo. You know a single stage is the best method so there is no slop betweent the die and the press. I'd avoid some of the small cheap presses. I would look for a good deal on any used single stage press from the names everyone has already mentioend. Forster, Redding, RCBS, Lee etc. Find someone's slightly rusty, cobwebbed old cast iron press at a yard sale and never look back. Then spend your money on good Forster or Redding dies, Hornady/Stoney Pt. OAL gauge with ogive and headspace inserts, a good powder scale etc.

Edit: I just saw that you're from Miami. So maybe nix the yard sale idea
grin.gif
Unless you get north of Dade county, it may not be safe to go to yard sales!

The better half wants to get me a Co Ax for Christmas. Every place we look says out of stock. Anyone know if this is normal for their product?

Not a complaint just trying to learn and collect good gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The better half wants to get me a Co Ax for Christmas. Every place we look says out of stock. Anyone know if this is normal for their product?

Not a complaint just trying to learn and collect good gear.</div></div>

Yeah. I had to wait some. I just checked Midway and their ETA is March 2011. Ouch! I guess the word is out.

I had to wait as well, and that was even from a distributor! But, the longer you wait, the longer it will be before it get there.....

A buddy of mine got one not too long ago and says the way the Co-Ax hold the brass is superior to the Redding.

Also the I like the constant primer system of the co-ax.

What I might do is go with a co-ax press and redding dies.

Who has a better powder system, Redding or Forster? I like the Redding 3BR system with the Mic on it.

R.

"I don't agree that standard dies produce ammo nearly as good as competition dies. Apart from the Lee Collet dies the standard die I have seen can produce hellish variation in runout."

Perhaps the critical phrase is "nearly as good"? How is that to be measured and why does it show up? Run-out is perhaps the most demanding measurement, right? So, one set of common dies may, with good loading methods, be capabile of .002" of run-out and an excellant set of "competition" dies (Forster or Redding) used with equal skill may cut that in half. That's a very large percentage of change, yes, but it's still only a thousant. Meaning conventional dies properly used are only slightly less good than the much more costly types!

I've done quite a bit of run-out experimentation with cases and dies when using both conventional and competition dies. Careful work with cases that have turned and sized without the expander generally gives cases with little or no run-out. Doing the same cases again but adding the conventional ball expander usually leaves the necks with significant run-out so the major part of the problem is the conventional expander, not the die as such. Further experimentation with different expanding methods have proven (to me) that the long cylinder expanders used in Lee's rifle dies do a much better job than one else's ball expanders of any style. Reworking the same case/die but without a ball expander and then using Lyman's "M" expanders typically does a little better than Lee's expander. But, on average, I get the straightest possible necks when using Lee's collet neck die, using a body die in conjunction with the collet die for FL sizing when needed. There isn't a vast difference between those three variations but it's enough to the statistically significant.

Fact then remains that no sizing method nor seater die can make straight ammo in cases with poor necks. The worst offenders are necks with angular differences- non-parallel - between the outside and inside surfaces. ONLY outside turning with a loosely hand held neck turner can make those surfaces parallel. When they are, a good sizer can then align them with the case. After firing they usually align with the chamber too...but not always; some cases simply need to be tossed!

Cases are not created equal. Common, less costly cases require the most volume of work. Expensive cases - Laupua, Norma, etc - are better but they still require some uniforming. So I have come to prefer to buy common brands and do the work. I actually end up with very good cases at a significatly lower unit cost than with the super brands without having to cry when I do toss a few that just won't go straight!

Bottom line, good cases aren't automatic with costly dies or brass. It's good user methods and skills that produce good cases!

I use and recommend the Co-Ax with redding dies. On the redding dies for 308 I bought the comp 3 die set that was like 200 bux. If I had it to do over, I would get the micrometer comp seater, Body die and a non micrometer neck only. I think getting the micrometer neck die added like 40 bux, I dont really use that feature at all and I dont really know why you need to control the amount of neck sizing to the degree that a micrometer is giving you.

CJG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who has a better powder system, Redding or Forster? I like the Redding 3BR system with the Mic on it.

R. </div></div>

Powdering. people on this forum generally either weigh on a balance beam like a RCBS 1010 or equivelant or use an electronic dispenser. RCBS chargemeaster comes highly recomended from most(about 300 bux and pretty quick). or the best is the prometheus but its cost prohibitive to the majority of us(about 3k).

CJG