• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Best product to remove Krylon paint job?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
A while back I Krylon'd my 17 HMR rifle and wasn't happy with it so I'd like to strip off all the paint and go back to stock.

Anyone recommend a product that I can find at Walmart that won't harm stainless rifle with synthetic stock?

Re: Best product to remove Krylon paint job?

You might check the specs on the strippers that use citrus base and are supposed to be non toxic. If you are going to repaint then you can sand the stock. Bead blasting will remove the paint and bring the stainless back like new but it will have a matte finish. I am betting that any type stripper will attack the synthetic stock if you aren't very carefull and I doubt anything will bring it back to original finish.

Better yet...if you don't like it buy some more paint and sandpaper and try again. I have seen some truly wicked rattle can paint jobs.

Acetone will remove the paint from the steel parts, but caution on the synthetic stock - it will probably soften/dissolve it. Acetone will even break down polyester and epoxy resins. I have no recommendation for the stock, though the citrus-based stuff may not hurt it. You could try it in the barrel channel to check for any negative results.

Kevin

2nd the Acetone. It will also take off plastic stocks. I have done tupperware stocks from savage, remington, and ram-line with no ill effects to the stock, you just make sure it does not soak in it. Put it on with a rag and start scrubbin. Make sure you have a good supply of rags laid in, and a pair of latex gloves, cause it is a mess. LOl

All this was done in mind that I was going to go back over it with some other type of finish. After you get done with the Accetone it might have a grayish look to the stock but no structural harm.

Just a word of caution:

DO NOT SMOKE AROUND ACETONE, OR DO THIS IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE.

if you think gasoline is bad..........

Just an FYI, but it will remove the paint if you put the acetone on a rag and wipe the stock with the rag. The metal parts are ok, but watch components like the trigger where they have glue or locktite holding stuff together.

Brake parts cleaner and a rag will take the paint off with a little elbow grease. You might want to try it on the stock in an inconspicuous place such as the barrel channel first to see if it will harm the stock. Some brake cleaners will dissolve some plastics.

I bought an Armalite several years ago that the previous owner had completely Kryloned desert tan. Four cans of brake cleaner after I got it, paint was gone with no scrubbing, no wipeing, no damage.

okie

I just finished removing Krylon off a Leopuld Mark 4 CQ/T and I used GooGone, a rag and qTips for spaces in-between the rails. Worked like a champ with no ill effects.

There was a CQ/T sticker and serial number that the goo-gone ruined, but it was only a sticker.

3rd for citristrip.

Just go to Home Depot and snag some. It works great

i got mine in the wal mart paint section. They had the gel and the spray. Never used the gel but the spray...damn that stuff will make krylon jump off. You could probably spray it on, wait 10 min and come back with an air hose and remove 99.9% without even touching it. Smells good too.

easy-off oven cleaner works great, use it all the time for stripping paint off of motorcycle engine cases. Not sure about using it on plastic though. I've heard good things about citristrip, but I've never personally used it.

used laquer thinner on my m40a1 return stock...didnt bother the stock one bit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this topic has surfaced before.......

denatured alcohol and a scrub</div></div>

lol.........