• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Projectile for Subsonic 308?

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I see a lot of the small manufacturer that are making subsonics for the 308 are using 175 gr SMK's. Some people suggest loading them backwards. It seems to me that the HPBT was not designed for subsonic speeds.

Are there any projectiles out there that are designed for subsonic flight? I would think that a round-nosed, flat-based bullet (like a 22LR round) would work best.

If I were to find said bullet, would I then need a special seater?

Thanks in advance for your comments. I don't really know what is out there and couldn't find anything with the SH Google Search. I could be using some bad terms.

Re: Best Projectile for Subsonic 308?

Carter,
I have found that the best SS projectle for my uses is the Lapua SS 200 grain with rebated boattail. It is specificly made for SS flight and flies "quiet". Most are using Trailboss. I use 4227 or IMR 4198 I think it was. If you want the loads drops etc. PM and I will forward it all to you. I can shoot this load to 200 yards using a Mil Dot reticule and have good holds all the way,no dialing. Accuracy is excellent. I am not suprised you thought the 22 LR style bullet would be best.
smile.gif

Reactions: Dangsafetyguy

Look at your sierra manual. I think there are some 30 cal bullets that are around 220 grains and are round nosed. I forgot which caliber they are listed under, it may not be .308. I saw someone shooting them subsonic one day at the range.

I was looking around and saw this video. Does anybody else notice something funny?

Hint: concentrate on the background noise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">e good holds all the way,no dialing. Accuracy is excellent. I am not suprised you thought the 22 LR style bullet would be best.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Hey... it is tough to leave my true love of all things rimfire...

Round-nose or flat nose seems to be what everyone is doing. Flat vs rebated tail, I don't know. I am reading Bryan Litz's book and he sees no benefit to rebated tail bullets, but then, he is working in the supersonic region.

Are you shooting through a suppressor?
If so the Round nose bullets are shorter and would reduce the possibility of a baffle strike.
I am trying out 180 and 220s.
Lapua makes a sub sonic specific bullet.
T

I have tried several. 200gr Lapua sub-bullet, 175mk (backwards), 178 amax (backward), 180gr Hornady round nose.

All of them flew good but the 180 Hornady flew the best. No keyholing with any of them shot at about 1050fps. I used TB with all of them.

Shot in a KMW,24" Krieger 1-10", AAC can.

Keith

Yip, the Hornady looks exactly like what I was looking for. Round nose and flat base. The Lapua doesn't look like it should work. It is a spitzer with drive bands. It actually looks like it would be an effective 200 - 300 yard bullet.

if you are going to load subsonic no need for jacketed you can get gas checked lead cast for 10 cents, or use a soft point 30/30 style projectile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's two. Sounds like it is worth a shot. What kind of accuracy are you getting? </div></div>

Most of the time, I can get around 2 moa. Nothin real fancy, but I think I could tighten it up some, I just haven't had the time or dedication.

So the next question is what seater to use? A normal seater is too pointy to properly seat one of those round nosed bullets, isn't it?

I've loaded up some subsonics for my 30-06 with trail boss using the 208 amax, hornady 220gr RN and the sierra 220gr RN.

The sierra and hornady 220gr RN are almost dimensionally the same. One might be slightly longer than the other.

They did ok.

The 208 amax actually flew the best and had the best accuracy for me running right about 1090fps. Being in an '06 it also took up more case volume for me so I didn't have as much air in the case. The .308 might be a different story.

It doesn't make sense since the 208 amax is a much longer bullet, but it stabilzed better than the 220 grain bullets out of my rifle...Like I said didn't make sense but I'm comfortable not knowing why as long as I don't blow off my can!
smile.gif

175 SMK in my 10-twist 308 has worked best for me.
9.7 gr. of Trailboss gives me 1025 fps on a 16" McGowen and consistent 3/4 MOA groups.

I've fired about 1,000 of rounds of this load with zero complaints.

The 180 RN is the most stable, I find. However, in a long barrel, it requires some form of lube or the first shot will take a dump.

http://www.ebr-inc.net/articles_subsonics-do-not-like-long-barrels.html

The 200 gr. Lapua didn't have this issue even in my 26" barrel, but it did end up tumbling when the weather got cold. You're in Texas, so that shouldn't be an issue. It would be my choice if your barrel isn't a shorty.

I have beeen reading this thread ... and I just cant understand why you would want a subsonic .308. From what I have read and from people who have them -- they shoot for about 100 yds. Am I missing something-- Please take me to school on this cause I just cant get it ....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have beeen reading this thread ... and I just cant understand why you would want a subsonic .308. From what I have read and from people who have them -- they shoot for about 100 yds. Am I missing something-- Please take me to school on this cause I just cant get it .... </div></div>

Mine gets past 100yds w/o issue.
One gun completes many tasks, with the correct specials leaving the muzzle. YMMV

Apophas sometimes you do not want the crack from supersonic flight. AND it is very nice to play with the subsonics through a suppressor. AND it is a lot of fun to shoot some distance with them. Nothing better than high flight times. They work great for starting people out shooting as well.

100 yard limit? I mean that is where I usually do my load testing for for the subs. But for playing it definitely works out to 400ish. Havent gotten to go any farther though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have beeen reading this thread ... and I just cant understand why you would want a subsonic .308. </div></div>

I've argued the same point with the 330 whisper/blackout/221/ect. because once you got it, you've got just that. Even if you load a whisper at supersonic speeds, it will never compare to a .308, twist's being equal. A .308 however will shoot subsonic just as good as a whisper IMO, AND when you want to shoot regular supersonic ammo, you have the good old trusty .308. The one advantage I see with the whisper is the ability to run in an AR platform.
As mentioned already above, the benefits of SS ammo of any kind is the quiet fashion in which the bullet makes its way to the target. The whole Idea of a SS.30 caliber round is a healthy mix of power and stealth. Some want it for hunting critters in the yard, others for hearing safe practice or youthful shooters. Or just for fun.
I'm sure one of the whisper owners will be along shortly to correct me if/where I am wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have beeen reading this thread ... and I just cant understand why you would want a subsonic .308. </div></div>

If you don't get it, then you've probably never shot anything with a suppressor.

I started playing with subsonic loads for my 308 using the Hornady 170 grain flat points with 10.2 grains of Trailboss in FGMM brass. OAL on these was short @ 2.530". Worked pretty well & was around MOA @ 100 yards. I now use 208 AMAX projos with 12.5 grains of Trailboss in Black Hills brass @ 2.950" OAL. Might have to single load these at that length out of other rifles, but feeds perfectly out of mine. It is quite accurate, I've had groups of .75" (& better, depending on the nut behind the trigger) many times out of my little 1:10 twist, 16" barreled Savage 10. A very light crimp on these when seating the bullets (found this out with the 170 grain loads) seemed to help dramatically with consistency. Good luck & of course YMMV!

I'm in the process of working up a load for my 17" 1:10 w/ the 220RN & Trail Boss. I'll report back once I have some DOPE.

I have used 180gr. Hornady RN with very good accuracy with a 1-10 twist barrel. We shot them at over 300 yds. Not much when it gets there but it was accurate. Use a LEE Factory crimp die.