• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best QD Rings for FAL w/Extreme Duty Scope Mount

limamike56

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
Western North Carolina
Need some advice on which QD Mount/Rings for a FAL with Para Stock to mount a Vortex PST 1-4. I have a DSA Para Rear Sight as a BUIS and thought of the La Rue LT123. It seems a little high at 1.28" to the center of the reticle with the folding stock to get a good cheek weld. Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: Best QD Rings for FAL w/Extreme Duty Scope Mount

I can't give you a definitive answer, but maybe some numbers to crunch might help.

First off I just pulled my PST 1-4 off an AR (in an extended Bobro) and mounted it on a Standard FAL with dust cover rail. Had to use a "chin weld" since it sat so high.

I have a Compact Leupold on one of my FALs, btw (1" tube). It's in Leupold QRQ Low Rings and the Ocular bell is 1.365". It clears the rail by less than 0.1". The ocular bell on the PST 1-4 is 1.632". No way would the larger bell clear the rail at this height.

Eye relief on the 1-4 is long. On my standard FAL, the rear bell located well in front of the rear sight and almost in front of the sight base. You should not have a problem there. Your rail is probably higher than the rear sight base for the irons, anyway - mine is not.

Best I can measure, the Bobro puts the center of the scope ~1.6" above the rail on the AR. 1.6" gives me "about" 0.8" excess to the bottom of the bell on the PST. Therefore your 1.3" on the Larue would leave "about" 0.5" to spare (if my logic is correct). Lower would be better (IMO), the PARA is difficult to get a good cheek weld as is.

FYI, some FALs don't like turrets sticking out over the ejection port. You will need to watch and see if your brass ejects low enough to clear the turret. It was beating hell out of the windage knob on a buddy's MK 4 MR/T.

I'm interested in hearing how it works out.

FALs rule. What other rifle is called "the right arm of the Free World'?

Leupold QRW. They make 3 different heights in 30mm