• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best quality AR 15 LPK

Blasst

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey I know there are a lot of companies making high quality LPK's and we get into splitting hairs with questions like this. What would be on the list of the best 4 or 5 producers of LPK's? LMT? Colt?? Who is top of the heap these days?
I'm about to grab something without trigger and pistol grip.

Thanks....

I use DD lpks. Stag makes good ones. CMMG makes good ones. Spikes has good ones. There are a lot and all are gonna be pretty much the same.

LMT but you can't buy them. Best you can buy I'd say is JP. They're available for about $40 without a trigger group which let's you choose your own without paying for a part you most likely don't want.

Having used most to assemble units for others……….CMMG of late has had the best OTBx trigger and overall fit. DD was fine, LMT, Spikes, even DS Arms and Stag. The 'worst' trigger was RRA kits.

So i'd say CMMG, then your choice of DD, Stag, LMT, Spikes

My guess is that the 2 sources of the small parts are probably still the 2 main sources, although since 2008 others have jumped on the black component train……...

I read a post one time from the owner of Spikes saying they use KNS made pins (standard, not anti-rotation) and detents in their kits. I usually buy whatever is cheapest if I'm not using the grip or trigger, but I think I will go with a Spikes kit next as I think quality detents make a noticeable difference in feel (selector, take down pins).

I'm going to get mine from Red Barn Armory. You can choose specific aftermarket parts in the LPK (e.g., hipertouch trigger, ergo g2 grip, Bad-ASS selector, etc.) so that you don't have junk or set aside half of the components.

Honestly, the best LPK is the one you piece together yourself. After trying most of the ones mentioned I started just buying individual pieces-parts. That way I can control the quality of the components and I don't end up with another A2 Grip and/or marginal parts-kit trigger to throw in the parts box. I usually buy the small parts, pins and springs, 12 at a time and the rest as needed. It has actually worked out to be less expensive than going the kit route, particularly if you're going to upgrade the grip and/or trigger and/or safety...

I've had good luck with WOA kits (w/o FCG) and CMT. I had a CMMG that was okay but the trigger was pretty heavy and gritty compared to the one in the CMT kit. I think any future lower builds I do will get pieced-together kits with Colt or similar small parts.

I always change grips, trigger guards, triggers, and safety selectors anyway. Why pay for them?

I just built a lower with the JP kit specifically because I already had a trigger and grip for it but was thoroughly displeased with it. Pins were struggling to make it in. It could have been the lower, but I've installed on the same lowers beforehand and never had a problem. DD and Spikes get my vote.

I buy G&R or JP LPKs without the triggery assembly. Save a few bucks on something I'm not going to use. Put the savings towards a Geissele trigger.

FWIW, don't buy Colt LPKs. They're no better than a DD or similar LPK, but Colt demands an insane premium for the priviledge.

I just built a lower with the JP kit specifically because I already had a trigger and grip for it but was thoroughly displeased with it. Pins were struggling to make it in. It could have been the lower, but I've installed on the same lowers beforehand and never had a problem. DD and Spikes get my vote.
When it comes to pin fit, I think most issues are due to variances in anodizing on the lowers. JP presumably uses the same pins in their lowers without issue.