• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best QUALITY upper / lower receiver

r1rn04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
GALAX, VA
planning new build, any sugestions on a quality, matched upper and lower reciever to stsrt with? Its going to be AR platform long range varminter, how about the barrel, so far I have a prs stock, Timney trigger, And a Chrome m16 Young nm bolt / carrier, This is a little at a time project. hope to have it complete by next spring.

Re: best QUALITY upper / lower receiver

Manufacturers you should familiarize yourself with:

POF-USA
Geissele Automatics
Bartlein Barrels
Rock Creek Barrels
Primary Weapons Systems
Bravo Company Machine
American Defense
Larue
Accu-Shot
G.A. Precision

The above listed manufacturers should provide you with every bit of information might need for building your rifle and then some. If you want to put together a custom sub-moa shooter rather than purchase one already built, check out what others are running and when you find something you like, pattern your own rifle after theirs until you find out what really 'fits' you.

My personal opinion for upper/lower reciever is a Seekins Precision Billet. It's one of if not the best i've seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manufacturers you should familiarize yourself with:

POF-USA
Geissele Automatics
Bartlein Barrels
Rock Creek Barrels
Primary Weapons Systems
Bravo Company Machine
American Defense
Larue
Accu-Shot
G.A. Precision

The above listed manufacturers should provide you with every bit of information might need for building your rifle and then some. If you want to put together a custom sub-moa shooter rather than purchase one already built, check out what others are running and when you find something you like, pattern your own rifle after theirs until you find out what really 'fits' you. </div></div>

Krieger also makes some nice bull barrels.

I am prefer the Mega Machine Billet items and that is what I run personaly. I sell and have sold them all and think that Mega is #1 and the JD Machine Billet ones are #2 with Seekins and SI coming in next. You cannot go wrong with any of these

I am in total agreement on the Rock Creek barrels especailly in 30 caliber matched to the guns bolt.

I have some good reference information in a spreadsheet if you want it send me a PM with your e-mail or email me [email protected]

The aluminum parts of your ar don't need to handle very much shock. Any milspec upper and lower will serve you fine. It's hard to go wrong nowadays.

If you want them to be extra pretty, i can see spending more cash, but when it comes to lower/uppers... milspec is pretty much milspec.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foomanshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My personal opinion for upper/lower reciever is a Seekins Precision Billet. It's one of if not the best i've seen. </div></div>
I agree 100% with POF a close second.

If going 223 don't forget APA for your lower. I have one built by them. Lower if extremely nice.

I would get a White Oak Armament barrel. They are Wilson blanks then John profiles and chambers them. They shoot crazy good. I have/had 4 of them and all of them shot under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

I have a 16" one right now and I have shot 3 inch 5 shots groups at 500 yards with it. When I had a 18" I did that at 600 yards a couple times.

When they shoot that good, there is just no point in spending $200 or $300 more for one.

I built a rifle a while back to serve the same purpose. I had a few prerequisites for the rifle though. I wanted it to be as light as possible, but also wanted it to shoot smoothly so that I could see my hits and get fast follow up shots.

Like you, I started with the receivers. I wanted to stay away from billet. I wanted light and billet parts are heavier and bulkier. They also offer no advantage over a forged and properly machine part.

I went with a Spike's Tactical lower receiver because, well, I really liked the color filled spider. The first upper receiver that I tried was a Bravo Company. The one that I had was a bit sloppy with the barrel extension fit and a bit sloppy in the bolt carrier area. Since I had it, I used it. I found that as the barrel heated up, the POI changed a bit, so I pulled the barrel and lapped the face of the receiver. The POI shift stopped, but it still didn't shoot as well as I wanted.

Next I tried a Vltor MUR upper. It was bulkier and heavier than I wanted, but it was a nice looking forged receiver and I traded for it. When I got it, I found that it was sloppier than the Bravo Company receiver with about the same results.

The last receiver I tried was a Daniel Defense. That was a nice receiver. The bolt carrier fit well, no high spots, the face was square and the fit of the barrel extension almost required pressing. Nice tight and straight.

In any case, I wound up with a Bravo Company bolt/carrier, Geiselle trigger, Spike's buffer, Superior Barrels 18" with rifle length gas (shoots ultra smooth) and a UBR stock.

This is what it looked like...
DSC_0004.jpg

The pic shows the rifle with the Vltor upper, but it is wearing a DD upper now.

It weighed right at 10lbs without the bipod.

Already a wealth of information on this thread. I will second Larue and add Noveske. Both top shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foomanshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My personal opinion for upper/lower reciever is a Seekins Precision Billet. It's one of if not the best i've seen. </div></div>

I like the look of the Spike's Tactical version (made by Seekins) better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built a rifle a while back to serve the same purpose. I had a few prerequisites for the rifle though. I wanted it to be as light as possible, but also wanted it to shoot smoothly so that I could see my hits and get fast follow up shots.

Like you, I started with the receivers. I wanted to stay away from billet. I wanted light and billet parts are heavier and bulkier. They also offer no advantage over a forged and properly machine part.

I went with a Spike's Tactical lower receiver because, well, I really liked the color filled spider. The first upper receiver that I tried was a Bravo Company. The one that I had was a bit sloppy with the barrel extension fit and a bit sloppy in the bolt carrier area. Since I had it, I used it. I found that as the barrel heated up, the POI changed a bit, so I pulled the barrel and lapped the face of the receiver. The POI shift stopped, but it still didn't shoot as well as I wanted.

Next I tried a Vltor MUR upper. It was bulkier and heavier than I wanted, but it was a nice looking forged receiver and I traded for it. When I got it, I found that it was sloppier than the Bravo Company receiver with about the same results.

The last receiver I tried was a Daniel Defense. That was a nice receiver. The bolt carrier fit well, no high spots, the face was square and the fit of the barrel extension almost required pressing. Nice tight and straight.

In any case, I wound up with a Bravo Company bolt/carrier, Geiselle trigger, Spike's buffer, Superior Barrels 18" with rifle length gas (shoots ultra smooth) and a UBR stock.

This is what it looked like...
DSC_0004.jpg

The pic shows the rifle with the Vltor upper, but it is wearing a DD upper now.

It weighed right at 10lbs without the bipod. </div></div>

I was thinking about a Vltor upper. Is this usually the case ?

nice looking rig, check out a guy on here, american reaper arms, sweet looking lowers....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was thinking about a Vltor upper. Is this usually the case ?</div></div>
I have a VLTOR MUR upper on one of my builds, and it is superb quality. The fit was very tight, but square. Accuracy has been exceptional and consistent using a Daniel Defense CHF barrel.
VLTOR stands behind their products. If you were to get one and had an issue with the fitment or quality, they would definitely work with you to make things right.

If you want forged receivers, I would highly recommend either Daniel Defense or Noveske.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was thinking about a Vltor upper. Is this usually the case ?</div></div>
I have a VLTOR MUR upper on one of my builds, and it is superb quality. The fit was very tight, but square. Accuracy has been exceptional and consistent using a Daniel Defense CHF barrel.
VLTOR stands behind their products. If you were to get one and had an issue with the fitment or quality, they would definitely work with you to make things right.

If you want forged receivers, I would highly recommend either Daniel Defense or Noveske.
</div></div>

It's my understanding that the mur is a forged upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's my understanding that the mur is a forged lower.</div></div>
MUR = Modular Upper Receiver

+1 for PWS! Light weight, simple piston design that overcomes issues with bolt carrier tilt, ultra reliable, and accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g3ninfinite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's my understanding that the mur is a forged lower.</div></div>
MUR = Modular Upper Receiver </div></div>

I know. Im not sure why I typed lower. Edited.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">planning new build, any sugestions on a quality, matched upper and lower reciever to stsrt with? Its going to be AR platform long range varminter, how about the barrel, so far I have a prs stock, Timney trigger, And a Chrome m16 Young nm bolt / carrier, This is a little at a time project. hope to have it complete by next spring. </div></div>

I am about to begin the same journey. But I will end it with one phone call to one place, Scott at Specialized Dynamics. He is a member and vendor here on the hide as well as Predator Masters, his work is HIGHLY recomended by anyone that has his rifles. I know you said a little at a time project but it is worth the call. He has been excellent to deal with from the little I have communicated with him. Just throwing out another option. Good luck

Daniel Defense barrels are excellent.

I thought I'd try a Rainier Arms Match Barrel. As soon as I get the rest of the parts, I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

thanks for all the input, I went with the mega machine billet matched set, has anyone tried the burris ar base? or should i save more and get something else, and does anyone think it wise to get a 20 moa base? or just get optics with enough built in?