• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best raingear

Shootinsurveyor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
VA
Well my old ECWCS goretex pants have had one to many briar patches and need to be replaced. Waht is the best option for replacement. I have seen Tru Spec, but I don't know if they are good. I also have checked out some of the older types on EBAY and have used those before so they are a known option. I'm not afraid to pay for good stuff, but also its mostly to wear at work in the rain and snow. I also have a matching jacket to my ruined pants and it is still ok, but water pushes through the jacket when it gets saturated. Have any of the newer gens fixed this?

Re: Best raingear

Helly Hansen work series is worth checking out and anything Arcteryx pro shell is good to go.

Check out ADS Gen III level 7, but be prepared to pay for it.

I've always been fine with picking up Tru-Spec. My first pair was of Gen I in 3 Color Desert that still work just fine, but I picked up a Tru-Spec pair in Multicam recently and my only complaint is that the hood is too big and I mistakenly got an XL/R when I should have gotten a L/L.

HH is the ONLY way to go.
GORTEX will get you wet.
I was a guide for 3-4 years in AK.
Has to be Rubber for it to work 100%

Rivers West is not bad i use it and have never got wet even during straight down pours when everyone else was soaked i was bone dry and very warm. That is the only compliant is it does not breathe super well so you get toasty which is okay if you use it in cold weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out ADS Gen III level 7, but be prepared to pay for it.

</div></div>

+1!!

PS if you call around to some surplus stores you can get second hand gen III stuff pretty cheap. you can usually pick up just the layers you want too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Camo_crawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rivers West is not bad i use it and have never got wet even during straight down pours when everyone else was soaked i was bone dry and very warm. That is the only compliant is it does not breathe super well so you get toasty which is okay if you use it in cold weather. </div></div>

^^^^^^^ EXACTLY THIS^^^^^^^

oubeta is dead on. i hunted in alaska and wore head to toe gore-tex and was nearly head to toe cold because the gore-tex, while it didn't leak, got saturated. it was like wearing freezing cold clothes. switched to HH 3/4 length rain gear and was gtg. gore-tex will also wick rain just like a canvas tent will do.

total rubber then Helly Hanson is the best stuff, or Grundens if you want even better and are willing to pay.

if you're looking for something to stay active in, that works just about as good as rubber, but breathes and is very well made - try Otte gear - if you're not a color snob, they are heavily discounting their CADPAT pattern gear and it works superbly.

Im glad this was brought up. I am looking for some new rain gear that does not make you sweat so damn bad that you drown from the inside out. Quiet is also a must for hunting. Arcteryx and Otte I'm sure is nice but I just cant shell out that much cash. Looks like the ECWCS is what I will go with.