• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best range finder for the money

treetrimmer_01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
Shonkin, MT
I'm looking to get a new rangefinder. What's the best one for the money? I had a sig kilo 2000 that took some abuse and no longer works as it should. I'd like one that can range animals out to at least 1200 like my kilo did. Thanks

Well thats no good, I only have one short action one and wasnt wanting sell it, I will do some digging tomorrow after work I do have a few, and I would like the short action one back, I will cover shipping

Do you need Bluetooth connectivity?

If not I’ve had good luck with my lupy 2800

Second on the Leupold 2800 if you don’t need it to connect to anything.

Reactions: LastShot300
Do the new Leupold rangefinders work better than the older ones? I had one before and it wouldn't range even close to half the advertised range.

I’ve gotten hits out to 2k with mine. It can get reliable hits under 1200

Hands down the Grumman Mk5. For $400 it can't be beat and is accurate to +/-10m @ 10,000m, invisible to NV, 7x viewer. At a mile or so, it's basically spot on and ranges tiny non-reflective shit at those ranges too. Also has a Class4 or high end Class3 laser onboard, it can and will blind your ass faster than the most powerful IZLID and at distances beyond the horizon. Good luck finding one, but it does answer you question as to "best bang for buck" IMO/E.

Be patient and they turn up on ebay from time to time. I'd love to get another one for that price. Now all I need is a smaller pocket one for when I don't setup the observation rig.

Now and again a MELIOS or PVS(6?) will show up. Like mine but with onboard NV and slaves to GPS and gives not only distance but azimuth and elevation to target and grids for both as well. I forget how much the last guy wanted but with these I'd run SN's through FBI, CID, NCIS, etc. The Grumman Mk5 was replaced by eyesafe MELIOS the year after it came out, so that's why they're available and relatively cheap.

Been using the vortex 1000 I really like it, accounts for angles used it on my archery hunt last year price is $300.

My leupy is 100% at a mile even in bright sun.
2000 is fairly consistent.
On a tripod with good conditions 2400-2600 is doable.

Reactions: LastShot300
Do the new Leupold rangefinders work better than the older ones? I had one before and it wouldn't range even close to half the advertised range.
I’ve had data come back at 3400 yards and never failed to get data on anything closer.

Bump for curious as to rangefinders that have built in meteorological measurement capabilities and that can run ballistics solvers to spit out dope. Kestrel connectivity is a bonus, but interested as to what has standalone capability.

I know of the Leica 2800.COM

Why not another sig? What about the new nikons? I have a sig it works decent at long range works great in shadows range well past 2400 yards with sunlight good out to 1300. Its fast which i like for hunting but alittle hit or miss for long range work in sun

My Leica 1600b has served me well for years. One can be had used pretty darn reasonably. When I upgrade it will be a Leica.

Reactions: culater
On the budget side, I’ve been happy with my Nikon Black 4K or whatever it’s called. Haven’t ranged animals but no problem with a full size IPSC at 1000

Leica has excellent glass and superior range finding technology. They offer several models for most anyones budget.

The Leica 2700b from Cameraland for $499.00 open box is a steal. Range fast and far the ballistics solver on Leicas website can be trued to match your Dope and just down load it onto the sd card and put it in your rangefinder. Works really well.

The Leica 2700b from Cameraland for $499.00 open box is a steal. Range fast and far the ballistics solver on Leicas website can be trued to match your Dope and just down load it onto the sd card and put it in your rangefinder. Works really well.
What the farthest you have ranged with one? That is constant

What the farthest you have ranged with one? That is constant
I've ranged out to 3400 to a hillside. A mailbox at 1200 several times. 12" steel out to 1000 yds.Pretty consistent.

I've ranged out to 3400 to a hillside. A mailbox at 1200 several times. 12" steel out to 1000 yds.Pretty consistent.
Wonder how it does vs the sigs 2200 mr

Wonder how it does vs the sigs 2200 mr
Not sure haven't compared them. I was prepared to be disappointed like I have been with other Rangefinders. But was pleasantly surprised. For the money they perform well.

Not sure haven't compared them. I was prepared to be disappointed like I have been with other Rangefinders. But was pleasantly surprised. For the money they perform well.
I like my sig i can range steel out to 1900 yards as long as its in shadows. Ive ranged random objects houses pickups ect out to 2400 yards. In sunlight i can get 1300 good and 1500 is pretty hit or miss and i also feel that cold weather effects it

Probably not what you are wanting but Bass Pro has Sig 1400 BDX's on sale for 170. I can range deer out to 800 with mine. Pushed out to 1200 on reflective surfaces. It also calculates your ballistics and shows holdovers in Mils/MOA if you want.

Probably not what you are wanting but Bass Pro has Sig 1400 BDX's on sale for 170. I can range deer out to 800 with mine. Pushed out to 1200 on reflective surfaces. It also calculates your ballistics and shows holdovers in Mils/MOA if you want.
I was thinking of buying this as my first range finder... Price seems pretty good.

I guess I’m late to the party for the 2700B open box...... That would be perfect. What range finder would you guys suggest in the 450-550 range knowing the the Leica 2700 B is no longer available?