• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best rangefinder under $250

deadnbrkn84

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Portland, OR
Hey I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum but it seemed the most fitting. I'm looking to get a rangefinder. I would like to be able to range out to 800 maybe 1k yards if possible. I would also like to keep it under $250 if I can. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much for the help!

Re: Best rangefinder under $250

Ok well for a more serious answer how about something that can range from 600-800 yards? I'm ok with getting used but I just don't want to spend 1k on a range finder because it's not something I'm going to be using that much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I just bought a Bushnell ARC scout 1000 from dicks sporting goods. Starting price was $300, but they had a sale for $100 off $300 purchase. Then they had a $30 rebate so my total cost was $170.

It's glass isn't spectacular, but I've ranged trees out to 700 yards. I've ranged buildings to 1000 and once got a hovering airplane at 1132 but tree ranging ability is what you'll most likely need in the field.

im not sure what the answer is, but i can tell you what its not. the answer is not leupold rx series. leupold is much more than optomistic about there capabilities

While it's above your budget, I'm using the Zeiss PRF - $599. It's repeatedly ranged dogs and deer out to 500. May go further I just haven't ranged any at longer distances. I've ranged reflective targets much further with repeatable consistancy.

Unfortunately you may have to double your budget to start to get into longer ranges with consistant readings. The old adage applies here - buy once, cry once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While it's above your budget, I'm using the Zeiss PRF - $599. It's repeatedly ranged dogs and deer out to 500. May go further I just haven't ranged any at longer distances. I've ranged reflective targets much further with repeatable consistancy.

Unfortunately you may have to double your budget to start to get into longer ranges with consistant readings. The old adage applies here - buy once, cry once. </div></div>

How do you like your Zeiss? I was looking between that and the Bushnell Elite 1600. I was thinking that perhaps $250 is kind of low for a range finder that meets the requirements the OP is looking for.

Also does anyone know if the Bushnell is made in China or Japan? That is my other requirement that I am looking for no China made stuff..

I love the Zeiss PRF - everything about it. It's size is a little bigger than the Leica. I prefer the way you hold the Zeiss - like binos over the deck of cards hold for the Leica and others shaped like it. I also really like that it reads when you release the button vs. when you push it. That seems steadier to me.

I have really zero complaints with the Zeiss. It ranges everything that I've tried repeatedly every time. Would I buy one again? Yeah, you bet.

It's ranged a water tower over 1400 yds. Granted thats a reflective surface. Any readings I've taken have been 100% the same if I stayed in the same position. Take a few steps and the reading would change, but be repeatable every time.

The Zeiss has turned out to be plenty of rangefinder for my uses.

Bought mine through Camerland, a site sponser and they provided me customer service that was top notch. Doug and Neal are great to deal with. A Demo unit shows for $529 which comes with a full Zeiss warranty, and new is $599 at Cameraland