• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best recipe for Glock 22

afine10

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2012
Hello all! I'm just starting to reload for my Glock 22 (40 S&W) and I'm looking for the best recipe for both target rounds and Hornady XTP hollow points. Anything will be much appreciated!

Re: best recipe for Glock 22

I don't have my load info with me, so any help I can give will be limited. That said, a couple of things to watch for in the .40 is powder selection and seating depth. IMVHO, hp38 is about as fast a powder as should be used for the .40 and target loads. Plenty of folks use a faster powder w/ success, but it's just a bad idea IMHO. When loading the xtp's, don't use generic data; get your COAL from data using that bullet. If you can't find any, let me know and I can forward when I get back.

GlockDSCF0042WeldFeedRamp3s.jpg

Glock22BarrelWeldedrampandchamberre.jpg

I have a Glock 22 40S&W.
It came with a chamber that was cut with a feed ramp .235" deep, with case webs only .180" thick, but the chamber was cut large in diameter.
The rear of a 40sw chamber is registered with SAAMI at .4284" +.004" and .4274" + .004" when .200" deep into the chamber.
My chamber is .440" at ~ .2" into the chamber.
Most chambers are cut at the small end of the sloppy SAAMI spec, my Glock was cut to big to make spec.
For an old Glock 22 40 S&W the feed ramp intrusion was .235"
For 40 S&W brass of various brands, the case web is .180"
That leaves .055" of thin unsupported case wall.
If I handload a round with 35% more powder than the max published load, I find the threshold of case bulge in the old Glock.
If I weld up the feed ramp and re cut the feed ramp and chamber with .000" of thin unsupported case wall, I cannot get case bulge with 146% extra powder. It is difficult to squeeze that much powder in the case and the recoil is horrific.
I can still feed any bullet without jamming.
I do not know what Glock thought he was doing with the way that chamber was cut.

What does it all mean?
Consider an aftermarket barrel with better case support.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have my load info with me, so any help I can give will be limited. That said, a couple of things to watch for in the .40 is powder selection and seating depth. IMVHO, hp38 is about as fast a powder as should be used for the .40 and target loads. Plenty of folks use a faster powder w/ success, but it's just a bad idea IMHO. When loading the xtp's, don't use generic data; get your COAL from data using that bullet. If you can't find any, let me know and I can forward when I get back. </div></div>

I use Clays and Titegroup with no I'll effects what so ever, but these are for minor PF IDPA and USPSA, I also run a 15 pound recoil spring, the slide goes back and forth with no muzzle rise what so ever. Buy a set of decent dies like RCBS or Hornady, but I recommend a separate tapper crimp die, crimp to .420, look into getting a Lee Bulge Buster setup, this will remove the sometimes slight bulge from Glocked brass, it does the samething as Redding GRX Carbide die but at less than half the cost, DO NOT USE the Crimping portion of the Lee Factory Crimp die, throw that stuff away.

a 180 gr rainier with 4.5 gr of titegroup has served me well for over 10 years in all my 40 cal glocks and a couple S&W 610 revolvers.
i use all mixed brass too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all! I'm just starting to reload for my Glock 22 (40 S&W) and I'm looking for the best recipe for both target rounds and Hornady XTP hollow points. Anything will be much appreciated! </div></div>

I've had my G22 Gen 2 since '91 and I've reloaded/fired a good 3k-4k though it over the years.

Win 231, Universal, AA 5, HS-7 (discontinuted,) Win WST, Bullseye, Bluedot and maybe some others.

You just have to fiddle with things. Keep an eye on your brass, for any bulging near the extractor groove and rotate your brass out after a few cycles, just to be on the conservative side of things.

With the stock barrel, stay in the middle of the pack, pressure wise.

Chris

5.2 gr Unique behind Widener's hard cast 170 gr lead bullet.

5.8 gr Unique behind Hornady 180 gr XTP.

Thank yall for the help, sounds like there's quite a bit varying loads. I'll look into getting an aftermarket barrel too. Any brand suggestions?

Try the Lone Wolf barrels from CTD, $99. Make it really interesting and put the longer Glock 35 barrel on it.

My CTD Lonewolf barrel has been great so far.

Tite group os the most popular powder for any caliber used in competition but my personal favorite and most accurate has always been unique . It fills the case very nice and worked very well with just about all of the berrys/montana gold bullets I have shot .I don't load for 40 anymore so I don't remember the load but it was fairly hot from what I recall .