• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best reloading powder?

FB_IMG_1631542964639.jpg
PXL_20210629_185238033.jpg

Reactions: buggz and BJames
I'm gonna have to assume you're brand new to reloading.

Varget, IMR4064, H335, RL15, 4895, 8208...

You have lots of options for .308. It's just a question of what can you get your hands on. Primers are going to be the hardest part and you're going to need to pick up a reloading manual and do a little research. We all start somewhere.

If you have not made any purchases get a good reloading manual or two or three. Cross reference between them all. Then get a single stage press by RCBS or Redding. If Redding, get the Big Boss, the RCBS get the new Rebel or Rockchucker. Either of thee presses will last a life time. You can purchase better or quicker or more convenient but in the end, these will do everything you want and can be the basis for all your reloading. A good powder scale and powder throw. I like the old fashioned beam scales but the new electronic scales work well. None are cheap. Neither is the scale weights which are pretty much mandatory to check your scale. (the scale weights are eye watering expensive considering what you get in the box, but again, they last forever and its what you need to make sure what you want is what you are getting.

In reloading, getting the loading right (as far as powder, and charge weight and bullet weight)is very important, a bad choice or a mistake can lead to pretty serious injuries.

Reactions: DocRDS
Monkey Butt if yer balls are sweaty and stickin to yer legs, & with a magnum primer will also work in a for 357 magnum.

Find data for the kind of brass you are using. If you can find data for the exact bullet, brass, powder combo that is best. Different brands of brass can have very different internal capacities, requiring a different powder volume to reach the same pressure.

Varget,imr4064 ,rl15 are all great powders for 308
This.

Also add in MR2000 and IMR4166.
H4895 and IMR 4895 also can get good results.
N140 and N150.

Its a crapshoot finding powders these days and everyone has their favorite--308 is very forgiving, so at least you have lots of options.

Nice rifle. H4895 and 8208 have given me very accurate loads in the 308.. Usually you look for a powder 5hat that fills the case to about the case wall shoulder juncture and leaves a small amount of air space with the bullet seated and gives near book maximum velocity. the last 2 308 rifles I worked up loads for friends were an x bolt and mannlicher schoenauer and in less than 12 shots had 5/8s and 3/4 inch hundred yard groups. Both light shorter hunting rifles. Sierra 150gr gamekings.

Before you buy a single kernel of powder, get a reloading manual... Better yet, get 3 or 4. I recommend Hornady, Nosler, Berger, and Lee.

Read. Pay attention. Take notes. Learn.

Buy a set of calipers and learn to read them if you don't already know how.

That should get you started. You'll have questions as you learn more. But get a basic understanding before you start.

Mike

--. .-. ..-- --.-- ... -.-- ---. ---.

All you need to know right there......

I hear that solvent they use to cool nuclear reactors can also make great firearm propellant and an excellent replacement for old fashioned gunpowder. And it packs good inside the case because its liquid. Might be careful with it though, I hear from good accounts that it can be a deadly poison if taken internally. Many have tried it and they all eventually died, so do be careful if you give it a try. It goes by the name Dihydrogen Monoxide.
Yes!

1 Rifle GA precision

2 caliber 308

3 twist 1-10
Go buy a reloading manual and learn how to do this like we all did.

Nobody likes a lazy twat that wants all the answers handed to him.