• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing best rem 700 trigger

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
im about to order a stiller action for my first build. im looking at triggers and who makes the best one for a hunting rifle. i did a few searchs and drew a blank.

Re: best rem 700 trigger

I just got a Jewell put on my .243AI for shooting PDogs. Worked great and the 1lb setting made shooting dogs at 500 yards a lot easier. That being said, the width of the trigger is quite narrow. For my .260 build I'm going to try the Timney as they have the wider trigger and have great reviews.

If you don't mind the thin trigger, then go with the Jewell. It is a great trigger and drops right in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One word....Jewell </div></div>

+1

The Jewel is an awesome trigger and it is very straight forward to install and set up. But trigger its self is very narrow and they have a reputation of not holding up well in any of dirty environment. Something like a timney or basix might be a better match for a hunting gun if it sees less than ideal conditions

Get behind Jewell, Timney, RifleBasix, and whatever else you can. I have a Timney, and although the break is clean and the feel is excellent, I pretty much hate the shape of the shoe. While I like the width, it's also very curved and doesn't welcome the shooter to put the pad of the finger at the end of the trigger. My next 700 will not wear a Timney unless they change this design.

I too am a fan of Timney triggers. I love the wide trigger shoe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a hunting trigger, my vote is Timney or a tuned old-style OEM. </div></div>

+1

Old Remington triggers can be made to feel phenomenal if they are worked over by someone who honestly knows what they are doing. Timneys are also great triggers, and like some of the other people here I am a fan of the wide trigger shoe.

While I have no personal experience with the matter, if it is going to be a field rifle that will see dirt and muck I would stay away from Jewell. There are too many stories of them freezing up at inopportune times for me to feel comfortable having one on a hunting or tactical rifle. In the thread about rifle reliability Lowlight cited them as one of the key offenders in rifle failures.

Do you have a link to that thread by any chance? I searched and SH google searched, but couldn't find it. Thanks!

Ditto for Timney. Priced right, clean crisp let-offs. Adjusts easily down to a safe 2.5-3 lbs, which is great for a hunting rifle or for use on a rifle used in tactical comps.

Thinking benchrest use, then Jewel is the way to go.

Bob

My vote is on the affordable side a worked Rem 700 trigger set around 3 lbs.....on the higher end side of things (if you like 2 stage triggers) a CG Mod 22 Tactical set @ 3 lbs

As you now see, there are more than 130 sides to the fence....in my opinion, well reworked old rem triggers are great. Timneys and Basix are great for most of us (just ordered 4) and Jewels are high priced, nice, but dislike any harsh environment. So now you know less than you did to begin with
smile.gif
. All will serve you well and happy shooting.

I really like my Jewell HVR, but recently got a GAP-massaged 700 old style trigger and I have to say that it is as good as the Jewell.

i currently have a rifle basics on a mod 70, but its strictly a range gun so it will have a diffrent purpose than the rifle i mentioned when i started the thread. right now ive got it narrowed down to tuned old rem trigger,timney or another rifle basics. i am going to want about a 2 pound trigger on this rifle

thanks for the help folks

My vote still goes to the old Canjar single set. Unfortunately - no longer produced. Anyone that has one and doesn't like it - PM me and I will buy it.

Barring that an old OEM Remington can be great but be careful - had a smith work one a little too much and had to replace it (would fire on rifle with safety on while closing bolt)!

Good luck with rifle basix as an inexpensive but good soild trigger.

I have tuned Remington, timney and Jewel triggers. The Remington triggers are hit and miss. Some will polish up and adjust down reliably while others are just pigs and take way too much work than they’re worth; you just won’t know until you start working on one.
Timney makes a pretty good trigger and many of them are good right out of the box . I’ve had a couple that needed to be worked over as well. All in all, I’ve been happy with them. The current one I own is on a model 70 243AI and it’s good… but not great.
I’ve played with a few Canjars although have never owned one. I’ve been impressed by how light they can be made… They are out of business so I could not recommend them even though triggers don’t wear out very often.
My Jewel is the best trigger I own. They are also one of the more expensive triggers, but worth the money in my opinion. You may sell your rifle but you will keep the trigger if it’s a Jewel . Some have stated that they may not be suited for field use and I would have to disagree. The Jewels are just as reliable as any other trigger in the field. Any trigger filled with muck is not going to function as expected including the simple model 70s. Any light pull trigger is not necessarily a good trigger for hunting. Jewels can be adjusted from light to heavy and the pull will be very repeatable.
If you’re adjusting a hunting trigger to 1.5 to 2 pounds does it matter if the pull varies by a couple ounces? That’s the question you need to ask yourself. My customs get better triggers.

Good luck.

IMG00036-20100524-2313-1.jpg

I have a jewel and love it! I also installed a jard trigger in my buddy's ruger, it was pretty nice for the price.

I've got a tuned (by Arnold Arms) old style Remington on my 25-06 that is just okay, thought better than when it was new. I also have a new Jewell that I bought for my upcoming first custom build. The trigger seems pretty narrow, so I also bought an add-on shoe that I may try if I don't like the feel of the Jewell's trigger once the gun is built. Anyone else add a shoe to their Jewell, or do some other mod to it to make the trigger wider?