• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best reticle for calculating distance

larsjorgen

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2012
Click to Select (if applicable)
I'm new to long range shooting, but I've shot quite a lot in the past, on 300 meters and less. I actually competed in rifle shooting a few years ago, but now I wanna try long range shooting.

The problem is the optics. I know about ballistics, the formula for calculating distance with mrad etc. but I'm having a problem finding a reticle that lets me calculate distance on 800-1000 meters. Does it even exist a reticle that is this accurate? I mean, in 800 meters you really have to guesstimate the distance between the dots quite a lot(?)

Re: Best reticle for calculating distance

Some guys are really impressive at ranging with a regular mil-dot. But lots of scope makers out there have great reticles that are helpful in ranging targets. USO has some great reticle choices, as does Vortex, S&Bs H2CMR is a fantastic reticle. .

There are actually so many, its hard to even think of them all. If you look around the hide and see what lots of people are shooting, youll get a good idea of whats out there. If your really wanting to do lots of ranging with your reticle though, you will do yourself a favor if you get a FFP (front focal plane) scope. . this will allow you to range accurately at any magnification. rather than only have 1-2 fixed mags that you can range with.

I would say the MSR Reticule or any other reticule that has 1/10 mill hash marks. Great video of the MSR Reticule on youtube, doing ranging and holdovers.

It is a learned skill, and takes time. You likely will have try different ones to see what works for you.

I'm looking at the MSR right now. Looks great. 1/10 mill marks would be perfect.

Was thinking of FFP, yes. But I hear that the cross can get a little too big when shooting on 800-1000 meters with full magnification?

I'm not going to call myself skilled with the mildot, I really dont feel like I am, but up to 750 meters I can usually calculate the distance to +- 5-10 meters. The problem is distances from 750 and out..
smile.gif

You might want to look at the Bushmell HDMR 3.5-21 with the GAP G2 reticle.

John

I have baan known to range within 5M of targets past 800 with the standard mildot, but for practical purposes something with .1 or .2 hashes is a lot easier. Also holdovers on the mildot are not as easy, especially while positional shooting. Right now my top choices are the MSR, the GAP, and lastly the H58

I prefer the reticle on a laser range finder. Seriously...

I've done a lot of ranging via mil-dot reticle. It's all fine and good so long as you know the exact size of your target and the conditions allow for it. But once you throw in real world conditions like mirage and non-specific targets you are typically off enough that you will induce a miss on your shot. Fun for practice, OK for a supplement to other methods, but not reliable at distance. I built my range cards with a map and laser, not my reticle.

My personal favorite to run to date is a S&B P4F reticle, but I'm really liking the looks of the H2CMR, but I haven't received that scope yet. Any line based reticle with .2mil breakdown is sufficient for accurate ranging, at least as accurate as it's going to get.

Combine it with other methods of range estimation such as appearance of objects, football field, map and terrain association, then into GPS and lasers. Practice with known size objects and then check yourself with a laser or GPS. It's better than a SWAG, but it's still an art subject to the environment and other conditions.

It's 2012, use a Laser...

Using is a reticle is a legacy skill and really should be your 3rd Option when it comes to ranging a target.

Inside 600, even inside 400m, flash milling a target with your reticle is fine, but for precision, especially for distances beyond 600m, use a laser.

i agree with using a laser. I use the Nikon 1200 laser.

best reticle.....for the money vortex hd ebr3 or bushy gap g2

In my first comp we had several unknown range stages. Of corse they gave the size of the targets. At the time I had a f1 with the mlr2 reticle. This reticle has 1/2 mil and 1 mil hashes. My first target was 14" tall breaking my reticle down into 1/10 mil I was able to get accurate range estimation "estimation". My spotter advised that my elevation was right on poor wind call.
First focal plane is a must for this application in my op. The trick is to know your reticle and practice. You can make accurate first round hits ranging with almost reticle after practicing and being able to see the reticle in 1/10 mil fractions weather it has the hash marks or not.
All this being said I purchased a S&B with the MSR reticle after this comp. The reason was more magnification and with this reticle range estimation should be faster.
Practice ranging check your self with a lrf learn your scope and you will be good to go.

actually to be accurate it has to be estimated to .01

10" x 27.78/.5=555.6
10" x 27.78/ .58= 478.9 almost 100yd diff. .01 is critical in estimation

Find me the person that can break down a reticle to .01 mil. .05 is doable with alot of practice and the proper reticle but .01 is pushing it.

In that example above if that person could break the reticle down to .1 mil then they would be at either .5 or .6 and if it was really .58 and they said .6 then they would only be 15.9 yards off and even with a .308 it would be a hit.

Your still apples and oranges .5 and .6 is a miss ,your only breaking down to .1 in range estimation??? What about the stages that require range +/- 10% to get the points??? Or all the people that " say" they can get within 5-10 yds

Either way to be accurate your going to break it down beyond .1

What Frank said. Learn the skill - use the technology. Only hits count.

Let me make this a little simpler/clearer . My illustration is to show the variation and the necessity to break down beyond .1 mil. Can i or you for that matter hit dead on .01 NO. but the target must be broken down beyond .1 for any kind of accuracy thats all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your still apples and oranges .5 and .6 is a miss ,your only breaking down to .1 in range estimation??? What about the stages that require range +/- 10% to get the points??? Or all the people that " say" they can get within 5-10 yds

Either way to be accurate your going to break it down beyond .1</div></div>

15 yards is not a miss even with a .308. .6 and .58 difference is not going to be seen in a reticle.

I ranged 9 out of 10 targets within the single digits at the last Score High match and one was dead on using the H2CMR reticle which can drop down to .05 with practice. If you can break down to .05 then you will be fine miling targets. You won't do .01 regularly with accuracy. Sorry I think it sounds cool to say on the internet but in the real world it won't happen.

The best reticle for ranging is the one you have practiced doing it with - a lot.

I remember Terry's match in 2009: There was a ranging stage - no shooting, just ranging. Huck came a long way to shoot it. He borrowed a rifle, and with a borrowed scope got 100% on that stage. That's awesome. That's deadly. That's what practice can do.

It's not about the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your still apples and oranges .5 and .6 is a miss ,your only breaking down to .1 in range estimation??? What about the stages that require range +/- 10% to get the points??? Or all the people that " say" they can get within 5-10 yds

15 yards is not a miss even with a .308. .6 and .58 difference is not going to be seen in a reticle.

I ranged 9 out of 10 targets within the single digits at the last Score High match and one was dead on using the H2CMR reticle which can drop down to .05 with practice. If you can break down to .05 then you will be fine miling targets. You won't do .01 regularly with accuracy. Sorry I think it sounds cool to say on the internet but in the real world it won't happen. </div></div>

Nobody said anything about .58 vs .6 but YOU

Im talking about the difference between .5 and .55 as i stated before and i will state again
It must be broken down finer than .1 mils to be accurate

And again to drive home my point which is the answer to the ORIGINAL thread question.

The reticles with .1 mil hash ARE easier/better for a new shooter to get an accurate mil read BECAUSE to get an accurate mil read........

Again they ,you,me are not going to be able to hit it to the exact .o whatever mil everytime its humanly impossible

Maby this may help ya

Actually to be accurate it has to be estimated to the .0_ mil

You can put an 8 in there if ya want or a 6 or whatever

.1 mil off at 1000meters is 100 meters off.
.1 mil off at 500 meters is 50 meters off.
.01 mil off at 1000 meters is 10 meters off.
.01 mil off at 500 meters is 5 meters off.
etc

One answer!, Countersniper!!!, this scope is a bad as- Motha!

tdrm1.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHA!

NEE! PENG! NEEWUM!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your still apples and oranges .5 and .6 is a miss ,your only breaking down to .1 in range estimation??? What about the stages that require range +/- 10% to get the points??? Or all the people that " say" they can get within 5-10 yds

I ranged 9 out of 10 targets within the single digits at the last Score High match and one was dead on using the H2CMR reticle which can drop down to .05 with practice. If you can break down to .05 then you will be fine miling targets. You won't do .01 regularly with accuracy. Sorry I think it sounds cool to say on the internet but in the real world it won't happen. </div></div>

Im talking about the difference between .5 and .55 as i stated before and i will state again

And again to drive home my point which is the answer to the ORIGINAL thread question.

The reticles with .1 mil hash ARE easier/better for a new shooter to get an accurate mil read BECAUSE to get an accurate mil read........

Again they ,you,me are not going to be able to hit it to the exact .o whatever mil everytime its humanly impossible </div></div>

Yes I did bring up .58 and .6 as you said the difference between .5 and .58 in your example as the person miling would call a .58 actual mil read as a .5 and I said that the person would call the .58 actually .6 and make a hit. I didn't pull that .6 out of my ass. It's the number closest to .58 that most people miling would call it. They wouldn't call .58.

Sorry you can't grasp that and I don't need your help thanks. I actually have a pretty good grasp on miling. I can break a mil down to less than .1 and can do .05 pretty accurately using the H2CMR as it has .1 mil marks. You were insinuating that you had to be .01 accurate. One hundredth of a mil. Your words, not mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">actually to be accurate it has to be estimated to .01</span>

10" x 27.78/.5=555.6
10" x 27.78/ .58= 478.9 almost 100yd diff. <span style="font-weight: bold">.01 is critical in estimation</span></div></div>

Got to love the internet.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's 2012, use a Laser...

Using is a reticle is a legacy skill and really should be your 3rd Option when it comes to ranging a target.

Inside 600, even inside 400m, flash milling a target with your reticle is fine, but for precision, especially for distances beyond 600m, use a laser.

</div></div>

If laser is the first option and reticle is the 3rd what the 2nd?

Mil and redical ranging is nice

BUT

Is the target 6", 8", 10" etc etc. Problem is not all matches will tell you the size of the target all the time. And there is no such thing as an average deer, antelope, etc.

Lasers are nice if you're packing fresh batteries and its not sub-zero temps.

Maps & GPSs are great if you know how to use them. For GPSs again its a battery thing.

Learn all of them, they're all great tools but not all will work in every codition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your still apples and oranges .5 and .6 is a miss ,your only breaking down to .1 in range estimation??? What about the stages that require range +/- 10% to get the points??? Or all the people that " say" they can get within 5-10 yds

Again they ,you,me are not going to be able to hit it to the exact .o whatever mil everytime its humanly impossible </div></div>

Yes I did bring up .58 and .6 as you said the difference between .5 and .58 in your example as the person miling would call a .58 actual mil read as a .5 and I said that the person would call the .58 actually .6 and make a hit. I didn't pull that .6 out of my ass. It's the number closest to .58 that most people miling would call it. They wouldn't call .58.

Sorry you can't grasp that and I don't need your help thanks. I actually have a pretty good grasp on miling. I can break a mil down to less than .1 and can do .05 pretty accurately using the H2CMR as it has .1 mil marks. You were insinuating that you had to be .01 accurate. One hundredth of a mil. Your words, not mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">actually to be accurate it has to be estimated to .01</span>

10" x 27.78/.5=555.6
10" x 27.78/ .58= 478.9 almost 100yd diff. <span style="font-weight: bold">.01 is critical in estimation</span></div></div>

Got to love the internet.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

My example shows the difference between a .5 call and a .58 call that is COMPLETELY different than

.58 vs .6 Your example <~~~~~~~~~~

I know u understand , you just wont admit it ,and im ok with that.

Admit what? Nothing to admit on my end. Maybe you should admit the flaw in your example. Your example was to try and show you need to get down to the .01 mil by using .5 and .58 and it didn't show that. Just showed that you needed to use .6 for a mil reading that was more than .5 and closer to .6. Not that you need to be .01 mil accurate.

I explained myself just fine and anyone who has done alot of miling know how silly saying you need to mil to .01 is but keep believing that.

I like the tactical milling reticle... The ones with the hash marks instead of the dots. Two reasons: the lines obscure less of the target and seem to allow more precise aiming, and there are more degrees of measurement --instead of a few lines and dots of certain size, you get several lines of various size.

That of course makes it more complicated and requires more time behind the scope to take advantage of this.

Different companies call it different things. But I just bought a mil dot Leupold, and they have one with the TMR reticle that I would have preferred, but for the price I got it for I'm not complaining. Anyway, the literature that came with it highlighted the advantages of the TMR vs. the mil dot.

In addition, I prefer to have the dials and the reticle metrics to be the same --not the case with my Leupold. It has MOA dials and a mil reticle... Not ideal, but again, not complaining.

Finally, it is all up to the user. If you have significant experience with one, it may behoove you to stick with it unless it is hamstringing you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maby this may help ya

Actually to be accurate it has to be estimated to the .0_ mil

You can put an 8 in there if ya want or a 6 or whatever </div></div>

I wasnt insinuating anything, you misunderstood and still wont admit it.

Again.......i dont wanna confuse you

It must be broken down to .0_ " <~~~ put whatever number you want in underscore position as long as you understand a number needs to be assigned" to be accurate

If the real measurement is .58, and I were milling it and I could see it was more than .5 and appeared to be almost .6, I'd just use .6, as Rob said. I wouldn't just call it ".5" and roll. If I couldn't decide which it is closer to, .5 or .6, I'd call it .55.

procovert45, I don't know where you're getting this from. Common sense is not on your side on this one. I read the thread before Rob's post and he took it the same as I would have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the real measurement is .58, and I were milling it and I could see it was more than .5 and appeared to be almost .6, I'd just use .6, as Rob said. I wouldn't just call it ".5" and roll. If I couldn't decide which it is closer to, .5 or .6, I'd call it .55.

procovert45, I don't know where you're getting this from. Common sense is not on your side on this one. I read the thread before Rob's post and he took it the same as I would have. </div></div>

Your tagline tells me all i need to know about you. Wheres your pom poms?

In terms of useful reticles, Vortex's EBR reticles are simple and effective. I haven't had a chance to use them quite as far as you're talking about, but hopefully sometime soon.

I have a Zeiss Rapid-Z reticle. It's pretty simple math:

area between two hashmarks is 2" at 100 yards at full power. Distances can be found (actual inches)*100/(hashmarks*2)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the real measurement is .58, and I were milling it and I could see it was more than .5 and appeared to be almost .6, I'd just use .6, as Rob said. I wouldn't just call it ".5" and roll. If I couldn't decide which it is closer to, .5 or .6, I'd call it .55.

procovert45, I don't know where you're getting this from. Common sense is not on your side on this one. I read the thread before Rob's post and he took it the same as I would have. </div></div>

Your tagline tells me all i need to know about you. Wheres your pom poms? </div></div>

Brilliant rebuttal, buddy.

I'm digging the MSR reticle in my S&B, sure makes milling much easier...

Thats what i run as well lucks.stone simple and it works!

Dont worry about confusing me. You are the one who needs the help. Your posts tell the whole story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's 2012, use a Laser...

</div></div>

frank.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont worry about confusing me. You are the one who needs the help. Your posts tell the whole story. </div></div>

Indeed ,they do

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In 6-8 weeks we will be running this reticle, Thanks to John @ USO!

reticle2bdsmil.jpg
</div></div>

That looks terrific, is that going to be part of the USO reticle line?

Yes, I think John will be offering it. I'm sure if he gets enough interest he'll make it for all the magnification lines, right now ours are going to be 5-25x58 T-Pal's.

The center is an open dot. The dot is .05 mil or 3/16" @ 100 yards. The opening is .28 mil or 1 moa (1.008") @ 100 yards. Easy to just square up a 1moa target and squeeze.

If you're shooting the SH Match in Douglas, forget the Mil/MIl or Mil/MOA..........

You need a Mil/Grid Square

It gets drafty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're shooting the SH Match in Douglas, forget the Mil/MIl or Mil/MOA..........

You need a Mil/Grid Square

It gets drafty
</div></div>

Easy stuff. Just call Arty and blank the square.