• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Reticle for Low End Mag

mp0311

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2023
Rhode Island
I realize this is asking a lot, but is there a particular reticle that does well on lower end mag? Im in the 1500-2k range and am looking for a FFP scope in the 3-18 ish range. Im leaning towards something like the NF Mil-XT but havent drilled down on anything yet.

No. They all suck, because FFP is not designed to shoot close targets. The reticle will shrink to uselessness on the lowest setting. It's designed to give you a constant reticle for holdovers at range. If you insist on doing FFP on low power get a scope with illumination that will light up that teeny-tiny cross hair in the middle of your teeny-tiny, useless reticle. In the end that's really all an illuminated reticle is good for. You can also piggy-back a reflex to shoot close, but IMHO they're not good for hunting, period. No one wanted to be able to hunt like I shoot in comps more than me.
iu

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
I've been looking and most of them do indeed suck. The only really good ones are marketed for hunting and totally lack a mil tree. I think this is a huge hole in the market, a lot of us are looking for a "do all" scope in the 3-18 range.

The Meopta Optika6 with MRAD 1RD reticle looks pretty decent, perhaps best in class? C_does has a review of it you can check out. Compare it to his revent review of the NF 2.5-20 MIL XT and youll see how useless that reticle is on 2.5x.

Its above your price range but the March 3-24 has a very decent looking reticle at 3x, see Glassaholics thread.

My pa glx 2.5-10 is excellent on 2.5x. But thats not the mag range you are looking for, and makes considerable sacrifices in the precision-orientation of the reticle to acheive that.

The MRAD1 reticle in the Optika6 3-18x50 was designed the way it was exactly for that reason.
If I were to redo it now, I'd make a couple of modifications (and Meopta made a couple of unhelpful changes to my original drawing), but the fundamental concept is sound and works.

ILya

Reactions: Tictacticaltimmy