• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best reticle for NF NXS 5.5x22x50

toshu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Arizona
I am looking to order an NF 5.5x22x50 NXS w HS/Zs turrets. I am not sure of the best reticle that would be appropriate for target use as well as field use. I plan on shooting F Class 600 yd at my range and eventually 1000 yds. Mid to Long range hunting as well. Thinking about the NPR1 w MOA turrets or the MLR with MIL turrets. I would appreciate your thoughts since I know you have a NF.

Re: Best reticle for NF NXS 5.5x22x50

If I were shooting F-class mostly, I'd pick the NP-R1. I've shot a little F-class with MLR and at times its a little thicker than I'd like. For field shooting I like using mils and the MLR reticle, however.

Until the MOAR reticle has some testing, I would say the NP-R1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until the MOAR reticle has some testing, I would say the NP-R1. </div></div>

I have heard some say that the NPR1 is a bit too cluttered

Shoot the NP-R2 with my bolt gun, and the MLR on my AR. Like the "less clutter" view through both but if you get a chance to try them for yourself that is probably the best way to decide....Good Luck, JaxOps

I like the less clutter on the NP R2 and still able to adjust on follow ups

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until the MOAR reticle has some testing, I would say the NP-R1. </div></div>

I have heard some say that the NPR1 is a bit too cluttered</div></div>

Here's a comparison between the NP-R1, NP-R2, MLR, and MLR2.

NP-R1-5x25-500x500.jpg

NP-R2.jpg

mlr-ret.png

Nightforce-MLR2-Reticle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Until the MOAR reticle has some testing, I would say the NP-R1. </div></div>

I have heard some say that the NPR1 is a bit too cluttered</div></div>

Here's a comparison between the NP-R1, NP-R2, MLR, and MLR2.

NP-R1-5x25-500x500.jpg

NP-R2.jpg

mlr-ret.png

Nightforce-MLR2-Reticle.jpg
</div></div>

I have seen these reticles on the NF site. Unfortunately I have not been able to try and shoot with one of these, hence the question here.
I am curious as to what the real trade offs are between the NPR1 and the NPR2??????
Obviously the NPR2 has less marks, what is lost, if anything, as a result????

I was not aware of the new MOAR reticle...in fact the NF on line catalog does not even show that as an option for the scope I was considering

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious as to what the real trade offs are between the NPR1 and the NPR2??????
Obviously the NPR2 has less marks, what is lost, if anything, as a result????</div></div>

You lose some precision in your holds. 2 MOA elevation marks vs 1 MOA, and 5 MOA windage vs. 2 MOA. You can find more info in the reticle guide: http://www.nightforceoptics.com/Reticle_booklet_final.pdf

I have an NP-R1 and love it. It has really thin crosshairs. I have to say I really like the MOAR. Great thing about NF is they can change crosshairs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKS Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an NP-R1 and love it. It has really thin crosshairs. I have to say I really like the MOAR. Great thing about NF is they can change crosshairs</div></div>

Yep, and I'll be having my reticle swapped as soon as it becomes available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKS Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an NP-R1 and love it. It has really thin crosshairs. I have to say I really like the MOAR. Great thing about NF is they can change crosshairs </div></div>

have you tried the MOAR???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am curious as to what the real trade offs are between the NPR1 and the NPR2??????
Obviously the NPR2 has less marks, what is lost, if anything, as a result????</div></div>

You lose some precision in your holds. 2 MOA elevation marks vs 1 MOA, and 5 MOA windage vs. 2 MOA. You can find more info in the reticle guide: http://www.nightforceoptics.com/Reticle_booklet_final.pdf

</div></div>

Excellent Link, I had not seen that before

Based on my experience,the NPR 1 is very nice in the 5-22 and is way to fine in the 3-15. You will really like it in the 5-22 ( I have had a few of them). You cannot judge the reticles by the website images, they are very different in real life and between different magnification ranges. If possible,you should look through the exact model and reticle before buying one.

I like the NP-R1. I like the finer adjustment you are able to make if needed. The scope doesn't seem cluttered to me.I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I have the NP-R1 and love the resolution of the hash marks.

My shooting buddy has the NP-R2 and although it is less cluttered, does not allow such precise holdovers as the NP-R1 does.

It really depends on your use, but the NP-R1 gives a lot more than it sacrifices in clutter.

You guys who think the NP-R1 is cluttered must really have ADD issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nutzkicker617</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the NP-R1 and love the resolution of the hash marks.

My shooting buddy has the NP-R2 and although it is less cluttered, does not allow such precise holdovers as the NP-R1 does.

It really depends on your use, but the NP-R1 gives a lot more than it sacrifices in clutter. </div></div>

I totally agree. I love my NP-R1 reticle on my 5.5-22X56 NXS with ZS and HST
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to order an NF 5.5x22x50 NXS w HS/Zs turrets. I am not sure of the best reticle that would be appropriate for target use as well as field use. I plan on shooting F Class 600 yd at my range and eventually 1000 yds. Mid to Long range hunting as well. Thinking about the NPR1 w MOA turrets or the MLR with MIL turrets. I would appreciate your thoughts since I know you have a NF. </div></div>

I've shot a little F-Class with my MLR. I also own an NP-R2. I can shoot better groups with the NP-R2 because it is much finer and obscures less of the target for a finer point of aim. I prefer the milrad knobs and MLR for field shooting/hunting, etc and the NP-R2 (or R1 for that matter) for target shooting at known range.

If I were going to do more F-class, I would very likely get either a 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 or 8-32x56 NP-R1. If I'm going to do more hunting or banging steel at varying ranges, give me the MLR with .1 milrad knobs. Its easier to use milrad and the thicker MLR doesn't washout like the R1 can. Use the right tool for the right job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've shot a little F-Class with my MLR. I also own an NP-R2. I can shoot better groups with the NP-R2 because it is much finer and obscures less of the target for a finer point of aim. I prefer the milrad knobs and MLR for field shooting/hunting, etc and the NP-R2 (or R1 for that matter) for target shooting at known range.

If I were going to do more F-class, I would very likely get either a 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 or 8-32x56 NP-R1. If I'm going to do more hunting or banging steel at varying ranges, give me the MLR with .1 milrad knobs. Its easier to use milrad and the thicker MLR doesn't washout like the R1 can. Use the right tool for the right job. </div></div>

Tyler, thanks for your comments.
I agree with you that in the ideal world, 2 scopes for two jobs would be best, but for now I have to make due with 1 since I am unemployed. I figure, getting one scope that allows me to improve in skill shooting F Class, and also allow me some field shooting capability, will work for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I were going to do more F-class, I would very likely get either a 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 or 8-32x56 NP-R1. If I'm going to do more hunting or banging steel at varying ranges, give me the MLR with .1 milrad knobs. Its easier to use milrad and the thicker MLR doesn't washout like the R1 can. Use the right tool for the right job. </div></div>

Tyler, thanks for your comments.
I agree with you that in the ideal world, 2 scopes for two jobs would be best, but for now I have to make due with 1 since I am unemployed. I figure, getting one scope that allows me to improve in skill shooting F Class, and also allow me some field shooting capability, will work for now. </div></div>

Yep, it'll certainly be a compromise for either way. Personally, if I could have only one, I'd probably go with the MLR with .1 milrad knobs. I find that the MLR will take more concentration, bit won't wash out in field.