• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

best rifle in 308 for a 800-1000 budget.

Sprayed99

WJK 4-9-18
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2012
    DFW TX
    I wanted to see what you guys think the best 308 would be for a 800-1000 budget. This will be for my wife to shoot with me.

Thanks guys

Re: best rifle in 308 for a 800-1000 budget.

I vote the remington 700 5r. I just got mine new in box off gunbroker for 975 shipped.

Savage model 10 with a 10x SS. Cabelas has a version built for them that comes with a choate tactical stock thats a tuperware version of a mcmillan, but has a decent aluminum bedding block. Sells for around $700+/-.

Get her a Remington 700 AAC-SD, put a break on it and she will love it. You can get into one for about $650 and $50 for a break. Any left over can be used for everything else she will need. I've had two of these and both have been half Moa capable guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99v6red</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote the remington 700 5r. I just got mine new in box off gunbroker for 975 shipped. </div></div>

been looking for a 5R has I currently have one in 300WM, but only the action and barrel are still factory LOL.

Problem is the cheapest I can find a new one is 1050 shipped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hbus1300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage model 10 with a 10x SS. Cabelas has a version built for them that comes with a choate tactical stock thats a tuperware version of a mcmillan, but has a decent aluminum bedding block. Sells for around $700+/-. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply I'm staying away from savage as I prefer the stiffer remington action... and it wont stay factory and remington aftermarket parts are abundant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKS Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get her a Remington 700 AAC-SD, put a break on it and she will love it. You can get into one for about $650 and $50 for a break. Any left over can be used for everything else she will need. I've had two of these and both have been half Moa capable guns. </div></div>

I looked at these. Where can I find them for 650? I would also change the stock first thing though and would prefer to find a used manners.

vance outdoors and this is my local(ish) store, they probably will ship out of state

Personally I picked up a used 110FP in .308 for 300, and a bushnell elite 3200 10x40 for 200. throw in rings and a base and it was under 600, very accurate and pleased so far. haven't shot it beyond 400 though (yet)

+1 on Buds, got my AAC-SD from them for $615. Theres a post somewhere on this site where either someone or maybe 2 people had a problem with them but for the most part they're pretty solid. Got mine in about 5 days. The only advice I can give is pay with a credit card. On a different note, I love the rifle. It's compact, its pre-threaded, and its accurate. Save some coin to change out the stock and the trigger. Remington says it comes factory 3.5lbs or 5lbs, somebody please correct me, but mine was at 7.5lbs which was absurd. I installed a Timney 510, put it into an AICS 2.0 and love it.

Thanks all for posting. I made the decision to pick up a very lightly used 700P in a HS Precision thumbhole (which she likes thumbhole stocks) with DBM and 10 round mag for 930.00

bad thing is it is a 26" barrel but I will have it chopped and threaded for a brake anyways.

Heres a quick pic

pix247877086.jpg

Deal fell apart as it was not a 700P and it started smelling fishy so I passed.

Remington's factory trigger is terrible. I put a Timney 510 in mine as well and it is a tack driver.

Tikka CTR if you can find one. Otherwise, I would go with a 700P, 700 LTR, or 5R Milspec.

As I went thru this with my wife a couple months ago, on leave. I bought her the sps tactical. What i should of bought was the aac.

as i ended up having to send the rifle out to get the muzzle threaded for a break as my wife complained about the 308 recoil. As I would recommend the sps tac aac which comes threaded and has the 1/10 twist barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKS Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get her a Remington 700 AAC-SD, put a break on it and she will love it. You can get into one for about $650 and $50 for a break. Any left over can be used for everything else she will need. I've had two of these and both have been half Moa capable guns. </div></div>
    This

some names look familiar from a car site i visit lol.... sprayed, where are you having your barrel work done?

That has to be one of the quickest turn arounds I have seen, from question to purchase in less than 2 hours. Looks like you did well, thats a fine looking rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AGRV8D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some names look familiar from a car site i visit lol.... sprayed, where are you having your barrel work done? </div></div>

Ah yes I figured someone would find me here based on my name. There is a local smith that is doing my work named Scott Wichel (spelling) he is also a machinist with a major custom action manufacturer here in Wylie.

i know you said .308 rifle and i obviously don't know your wife. But unless she is into hunting and long range shooting already, or if you are more just looking for an excuse to drag her along so you can do something you like to do with out feeling guilty and or taking flak for leaving her behind...(i have never done this before :D) then something smaller and cheaper could fill the order.

just from my experience my wife likes shooting....but she likes to get a reaction out of the targets and does not like shooting critters either. So punching paper, or steel is not her thing.... but she love shooting my .17hmr at 100-200yrds at eggs and other destructive targets. Easy gun to shoot ammo is not that expensive and dead nuts accurate, I call it the confidence booster, makes anyone feel like a real crack shot. Her favorite guns to shoot are the 17, and my ar15 because of light recoil, ease to shoot and accuracy.

just a thought

but other than that my buddy bought a R700 SPS tac 20" for like $500 bone stock that thing always impresses me, and it is easy to upgrade if she gets into it and if not you have a nice inexpensive rifle you can do what ever you want with.

best,
    joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubXerO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i know you said .308 rifle and i obviously don't know your wife. But unless she is into hunting and long range shooting already, or if you are more just looking for an excuse to drag her along so you can do something you like to do with out feeling guilty and or taking flak for leaving her behind...(i have never done this before :D) then something smaller and cheaper could fill the order.

just from my experience my wife likes shooting....but she likes to get a reaction out of the targets and does not like shooting critters either. So punching paper, or steel is not her thing.... but she love shooting my .17hmr at 100-200yrds at eggs and other destructive targets. Easy gun to shoot ammo is not that expensive and dead nuts accurate, I call it the confidence booster, makes anyone feel like a real crack shot. Her favorite guns to shoot are the 17, and my ar15 because of light recoil, ease to shoot and accuracy.

just a thought

but other than that my buddy bought a R700 SPS tac 20" for like $500 bone stock that thing always impresses me, and it is easy to upgrade if she gets into it and if not you have a nice inexpensive rifle you can do what ever you want with.

best,
    joe </div></div>

No she actually enjoys shooting with me. She isn't your typical woman. She does body work on cars better than me and has helped me build engines in the past. Pretty funny because seeing her wouldn't tell you that at all. Recoil isn't an issue its more of a weight thing. She had a savage 12 22-250 but it was too heavy for her. She already has a 17HMR but she can't go hunting with that. So we are looking at a short barrel .308 or maybe an action I can build a 260 out of. I will also shoot this rifle for.load workup and when I feel like useing a short barrel rifle.

The real fell apart on the 700P it was actually a ADL Varmint that had been restocked and I wasn't comfortable buying it not knowing the rest of the history and also the fact that I had to uncover the truth with the serial number.

hunting car body work...definitely a nice skill set to have in a woman

not exactly in your budget but the stillers group buy is going on in the classifieds

get a nice action there. I wish i had the money to drop on an action right now cuz i would be all over that. Would be the perfect excuse for me to start a .375 cheytac build
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubXerO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hunting car body work...definitely a nice skill set to have in a woman

not exactly in your budget but the stillers group buy is going on in the classifieds

get a nice action there. I wish i had the money to drop on an action right now cuz i would be all over that. Would be the perfect excuse for me to start a .375 cheytac build
    smile.gif

</div></div>

Yes I know about the GB been over to the shop every weekend over the last 5 weeks. I would love to buy one and may consider it if I dont settle on something in the next week or so.

Seriously this question is asked and answered far too often, spend a few minutes reading and save us the repeat threads. And it looks like you had already made up your mind before asking the question anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously this question is asked and answered far too often, spend a few minutes reading and save us the repeat threads. And it looks like you had already made up your mind before asking the question anyways. </div></div>

After all the previous responses you want to come in my thread to be rude? Do yourself a favor and bypass the next thread you see like this. Yes threads have been started like this so what. No my mind wasn't made up and if you read the entire thread it is still not. This is a hard choice for me as it is a dual purpose rifle for her to shoot and hunt with and for me to do the same when I feel like taking it out.

I'm glad you took the time to contribute, please don't waste any more of your time helping others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sprayed99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    After all the previous responses you want to come in my thread to be rude? Do yourself a favor and bypass the next thread you see like this. Yes threads have been started like this so what. No my mind wasn't made up and if you read the entire thread it is still not. This is a hard choice for me as it is a dual purpose rifle for her to shoot and hunt with and for me to do the same when I feel like taking it out. </div></div>
    Ouch, that came out really hard. First, threads dont really belong to anyone, threads with owners are called blogs.And yes after all the responses It is still a redundant thread, which generally is frowned upon by members of the community. You may have interpreted it as rude but no offense was intended.
    With 67,000 members and 178,000 topics you could find a thread about "whats the best rifle 800-1000$ for a One legged left handed transgendered midget" if you wanted, which is why the daily "best gun under 1,000$" threads are discouraged.
    You are lucky to have both a wife that will shoot with you and let you buy more than one, your answer was probably here before you thought of the question. So dont take it personal if someone lets you know about it in <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> thread. And with that I wont clutter up this thread further. Good luck finding the perfect gun, and enjoy what you have.

i am keeping a close eye on this cause i'm sure the "what scope is best for my 308 i just bought" thread is up next, and that is what im wanting to know as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Buds, got my AAC-SD from them for $615. Theres a post somewhere on this site where either someone or maybe 2 people had a problem with them but for the most part they're pretty solid. Got mine in about 5 days. The only advice I can give is pay with a credit card. On a different note, I love the rifle. It's compact, its pre-threaded, and its accurate. Save some coin to change out the stock and the trigger. Remington says it comes factory 3.5lbs or 5lbs, somebody please correct me, but mine was at 7.5lbs which was absurd. I installed a Timney 510, put it into an AICS 2.0 and love it. </div></div>

A Timney 510 is the only way to go with a Remington 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am keeping a close eye on this cause i'm sure the "what scope is best for my 308 i just bought" thread is up next, and that is what im wanting to know as well </div></div>

Lmao actually no captain froto I already have a PST on order for hers and I have a NF NXS for my 300WM and a few other various optics for back up and trainers.

I have read more of your off topic posts than you know. I have been on this forum reading and reading and watching for several years. Just recently joined and I'm seeing why it took me so long to join.

This thread was more designed to ask what women or wifes shoot. Not because I know nothing about what I'm trying to do, but more of a general response on what others have done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Sprayed99 said:
    And with that I wont clutter up this thread further. Good luck finding the perfect gun, and enjoy what you have. </div></div>

Thanks... carry on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sprayed99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been on this forum reading and reading and watching for several years.
    </div></div>

Then you have probably seen and studied all of the suggestions in this thread. There are only so many options in that price range and it does get asked at least once a week.

1) Buy one of them, have it cut down, throw a brake on it and hand it to her then think of a good excuse for why you are always shooting it.

Actually, here is one I haven't seen mentioned today.

2) Go to a pawn shop and buy the cheapest and abused Rem700 SA on the shelf. Pull the stock and barrel off, get the action bead blasted, buy a new barrel, send it and the action to a smith. While you wait for assembly and paint save up some $ and keep an eye out in the classifieds for a Manners and a muzzle brake you/she might like.

Slow build something nice without throwing money away on a brand new gun with a stock you will eventually swap and a barrel you're going to have cut down anyways.

I know I wouldn't spend the extra money on a Factory gun with a threaded factory barrel and an HS stock only to chop that barrel off, have it re-threaded then replace that HS with a Manners... but that's just common sense. I think if you had been here as long as you say and studied that hard you would already know this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sig_equinox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Rem 700 buds gun shop </div></div>

that's an awesome deal!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sprayed99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been on this forum reading and reading and watching for several years.
    </div></div>

2) Go to a pawn shop and buy the cheapest and abused Rem700 SA on the shelf. Pull the stock and barrel off, get the action bead blasted, buy a new barrel, send it and the action to a smith. While you wait for assembly and paint save up some $ and keep an eye out in the classifieds for a Manners and a muzzle brake you/she might like.

Slow build something nice without throwing money away on a brand new gun with a stock you will eventually swap and a barrel you're going to have cut down anyways.

I know I wouldn't spend the extra money on a Factory gun with a threaded factory barrel and an HS stock only to chop that barrel off, have it re-threaded then replace that HS with a Manners... but that's just common sense.

</div></div>

this.... is an excellent suggestion...

Sprayed, Can you PM the contact info for your smith? I know its not Houston, but i am going to do some talking with a few different gents to find the right one for my applications...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AGRV8D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sprayed99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have been on this forum reading and reading and watching for several years.
    </div></div>

I know I wouldn't spend the extra money on a Factory gun with a threaded factory barrel and an HS stock only to chop that barrel off, have it re-threaded then replace that HS with a Manners... but that's just common sense.

</div></div>

this.... is an excellent suggestion...

Sprayed, Can you PM the contact info for your smith? I know its not Houston, but i am going to do some talking with a few different gents to find the right one for my applications...
    </div></div>

+2

I bought a Savage 10FP that was being used as a deer gun. Added a Choate tactical, SSS trigger, swivel bipod and had money left for glass.

+1 for 5R. 1:11.25 twist and generally shoots 175gr pills very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Go to a pawn shop and buy the cheapest and abused Rem700 SA on the shelf. Pull the stock and barrel off, get the action bead blasted, buy a new barrel, send it and the action to a smith. While you wait for assembly and paint save up some $ and keep an eye out in the classifieds for a Manners and a muzzle brake you/she might like.

I know I wouldn't spend the extra money on a Factory gun with a threaded factory barrel and an HS stock only to chop that barrel off, have it re-threaded then replace that HS with a Manners... but that's just common sense. I think if you had been here as long as you say and studied that hard you would already know this.

</div></div>

+1 ..... excellent suggestion. Let her pick the stock, paint and brake.

Better yet, instead of asking for her. Let her get her own account on here, so she can read, learn and make a good decision for "HER" rifle based on good advise. That way she can learn as she goes just like the rest of us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Better yet, instead of asking for her. Let her get her own account on here, so she can read, learn and make a good decision for "HER" rifle based on good advise. That way she can learn as she goes just like the rest of us. </div></div>

That part scares me, he may never get the computer back and would suffer from SH withdraws which could end bad for both of them haha. I can't imagine what it would be like if me and my girl both spent this much time on the Hide.