• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best rifle shipping method?

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I need to send my rifle to a gunsmith for some work and was wandering what is the best method to use, US postal service, FED EX, or UPS? Any input positive or negative with experiences you may have had with methods listed would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
DS

Re: Best rifle shipping method?

UPS has worked well for me. I put everything in a Storm case and lock it up. Expect to pay extra if you do NOT put the case in cardboard - UPS got me for an extra $8 once for that.

Mail the keys to your smith ahead of time and hold a set of keys for yourself.

3 posts, 3 different answers. What does your smith say?

In a rifle case with plenty of bubble wrap/paper/padding around rifle and each component. I always hate seeing a box show up with a barrel sticking out of it or hearing metal on metal sounds from inside. Tape the latches on the case also. All the padding in the world wont protect a thing if the case pops open.

As far as a carrier, Id say USPS normally has the least beat up boxes when they are delivered

Thank you to all that replied. My smith said either UPS or FED EX would work, but since I have never shipped a rifle before, I thought I would see what Hide members had to say. There are a lot of experienced shooters on here.

DS

I've shipped multiple rifles via USPS and have never had an issue on shipping or receiving end from buyer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strike33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USPS screwed me! I stick with FEDEX and have never had an issue </div></div>

Hua, I got screwed by FedEx on a $5K mountain bike. Hell they all suck from time to time...

I've had too many negative dealings with USPS to trust them with any more firearms. Too many stolen packages and their insurance claim processing sucks. Twice they left rifles coming back to me from smiths on other peoples doorsteps.

I use UPS now for anything that needs to get here/there safely. I've only ever had one problem with UPS and a insurance check was to me within a week.

I ship via FedEx with a pelican case. Never have had a problem and have shipped several custom rifles that way.

I have used USPS, fed ex and UPS and knock on wood... no problems yet.

putting mine in a Pelican tonite. Shipping it via UPS to APA in the AM. Fingers crossed everything goes as planned.

just sent one USPS on Friday around noon-- priority shipping with insurance and signature, got to Dixon today.

Downside...cost too much. Partly due to insured value (2K) and the box I had to use...way too big but it's all I could find.

If you can use a thin, narrow case then wrap it in cardboard...you'd be good to go.

Everyone forgot to mention the FFL info. Be sure to get a copy from the gunsmith your sending it to. Thats the most important part.

UPS has always worked with me anytime I have shipped a long gun or pistol. I did try to ship a rifle via USPS but the lady at the counter demanded they open my sealed box to verify that it was not assembled and loaded. Like it was going to shoot it's way out. UPS didn't hassle me when I took it to them.

I don't know about Mira Loma CA but in TEXAS San Antonio and surrounding cities UPS is the best sir.

All my custom builds get mailed back to me by ups. It's the service that all my riflesmiths choose. I guess that says something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BullzeyeNJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All my custom builds get mailed back to me by ups. It's the service that all my riflesmiths choose. I guess that says something. </div></div>

It sure does...that they have the best commercial shipping rates!!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BullzeyeNJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All my custom builds get mailed back to me by ups. It's the service that all my riflesmiths choose. I guess that says something. </div></div>

It sure does...that they have the best commercial shipping rates!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thats a valid point too. LOL

My gunsmith suggested I use UPS. The only issue I encountered was I stopped off at one of the privately owned drop shipping points and they wouldn't take the rifle I shipped initially or the barrel I shipped a few days later, but instead referred me to the main UPS hub. They claimed it was USP policy, however, in speaking to the UPS worker at the main hub, I was told that it was NOT UPS policy, rather something that came down from the person who owned that particular drop store. At the main hub, I found UPS to be very helpful. I was able to track both shipments via the internet. The whole process was actaully much easier than I expected.

I also went thru UPS. I took my rifle (in a hard case) to a small shipping store with the FFL info and gave them the address. They boxed it and sent it out. By the way I didn't lock my rifle case and everything made it to and from the gunsmith with no problems.

Id also suggest <span style="text-decoration: underline">NOT</span> letting the UPS/fedex/whomever pack your rifle!! Do it yourself and do it right!!!!

They will never let me ship a gun if I tell them it is a gun. I always end up telling them it is just parts and then they will ship it then. It might be a barrel and action but they are just parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BYOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will never let me ship a gun if I tell them it is a gun. I always end up telling them it is just parts and then they will ship it then. It might be a barrel and action but they are just parts. </div></div>

Me too. Both ups and Fed x told me firearms had to be shipped by a dealer.

Well I'm pretty sure if it is straight to a gunsmith and straight back to you and the gun is already in your name then it is legal. At least that is what several gunsmiths have told me.

I sent my rifle today via UPS in a starlight rifle case with 2 locks and 2 plastic tie-wraps. I told the UPS guy it was going to a gunsmith for a new barrel and I am the registered owner. He told me no problem and off it went. Hopefully it will return that easily. Thanks for all the input.

DS

I shipped my stick back to APA yesterday morning. Had it packaged by the UPS store in my Pelican. The put my Pelican in a cardboard box. I then had to take it to the UPS hub because the liberal asshole wouldn't ship it from the store. I insured it for 6 grand and the flags went up. They wanted to inspect my package to make sure there wasn't more than one gun in the case. Opened it up, showed them one rifle, closed it up and paid the 90 bucks to ship it to Jered. They were cool about it all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BYOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They will never let me ship a gun if I tell them it is a gun. I always end up telling them it is just parts and then they will ship it then. It might be a barrel and action but they are just parts. </div></div>

That is because you are dealing with someone who dosnt know. If it is a long gun tell them to get a supervisor, or to look the regulation up in front of you.

Yeah I just take my business elsewhere.

I have shipped parts and long guns USPS and I have not had any problem, but I have had stuff disappear from the grid for more than a week before, so I don't really trust their non-existant tracking system. However, you can send stuff registered with the package sealed with paper tape, and it will be under lock and key its entire journey. I prefer trackable UPS, but I have been hassled before when I didn't have the a copy of the destinations FFL, and some FFls won't send you a copy unless you are an FFL already.
Some LGSs will ship for you at reasonable rates, but it will be returned to them, not directly to you door.

I've used USPS numerous times to ship rifles. Never had an issue...

I used to work for an airline and anything bulky or unwieldy got banged around a little. Not on purpose, it was just out of the ordinary. Air shipping companies, like FedEx and UPS, load cans before putting things on the plane so there are less handling steps so less chance of abuse.

I ship FedEx overnight or 2-day in a Pelican case. No overboxing with cardboard, they accept it as is. I padlock the case. I slip a copy of the FFL both inside the case and into the plastic airbill holder they affix to the case. Since it's domestic they don't need to know what's in the case as long as it isn't illegal or dangerous goods. However I don't drop off at FedEx Office (Kinko's) locations as I was told their corporate policy doesn't allow them to handle firearms, for safety/security reasons I guess (though I also heard this may have changed recently). I just schedule a pickup from my house and the driver only asks if it's dangerous goods. Never an issue.

Their policy, according to their site, states that they will only ship a firearm to or from an FFL (must be FFL on one end or the other). Sure, that seems silly when shipping it to myself, but they're a private company and they do what they need to protect their interests. Besides, I find FFLs that are willing to accept it on their end for free most of the time since they don't need to do transfer paperwork. Also you can't ship ammo with them via Express (air), only Ground, so it can't go with the rifle. My handloads are in my checked baggage when I travel with the rifles.

You should see my Pelican after all its miles. Those things are really worth every penny. It's scraped up but still seals tight.

That said I've also had UPS ship my 10FCP from Bud's in the factory Savage box and it arrived just fine. USPS would be my last resort, if only because their tracking system is so dated compared to FedEx and UPS.