• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best round for 1000+

Devils_Emissary

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2011
Southern Maryland, USA
I have a Rem 700 sps tactical with 20" 1:12 barrel. Looking for the best load for 1000+ yards. Shot out to 600+ with 168gr Hornady A-Max and they did well...about 3/4 MOA. Should I try 175+gr to reach out to 1000+? New to this... any info will be appreciated.

Re: Best round for 1000+

it's pretty well established that 175 SMK is the go to round for 1000 yards and thereabouts. Better BC than the 178 AMAX.

The 175 SMK is good but I have had good results with the Hornady 178 BTHP's. A little better BC than the SMK (.505 vs .530). Load data is the same in my .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Devils_Emissary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 sps tactical with 20" 1:12 barrel. Looking for the best load for 1000+ yards. Shot out to 600+ with 168gr Hornady A-Max and they did well...about 3/4 MOA. Should I try 175+gr to reach out to 1000+? New to this... any info will be appreciated. </div></div>

Assume you're referring to the 308W cartridge? If so, 175SMK's are widely considered to be the best. Some have had good results with 155gr Lapua Scenars. Your 1-12" twist barrel should stabalize the 175gr SMK's but a 1-10" would be better for heavy LR bullets in a 308W.

175SMK's with 43-45gr of powders like Varget and RL-15 have worked very well for me out to 1k yds. Work up slowly and look for pressure signs along the way.

Better still would be a different caliber for 1000yd shooting. There are many that are superior the 308W.

Have 300 Win. Mag., use 210 Bergers, 1 in 11 straight twist here, flat shooter and bucks wind well. Barrel life is short. Have 308 Win. and use 175 SMK's with 1 in 11.25 progressive twist. Not so flat of shooter compaired to 300 Win. Mag. Just gets to 1000 yards before going transonic. Use 308 Win. for practice out to 600 yards due to longer barrel life. Building a 260 Rem and plan on using 139 scenars with 1 in 8 progressive twist. Barrel life should more than 300 Win. Mag. but shorter than 308 Win. Ballistic charcteristics of 260 similar to 300 Win. Mag. Both 300 Win. Mag and 260 Rem should be good to 1400 yards or so before going transonic. The 260 Rem is what I'm going to "race". Later sometime planning on building a 243 Win. Barrle life real short on the 243 round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Devils_Emissary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 sps tactical with 20" 1:12 barrel. Looking for the best load for 1000+ yards. Shot out to 600+ with 168gr Hornady A-Max and they did well...about 3/4 MOA. Should I try 175+gr to reach out to 1000+? New to this... any info will be appreciated. </div></div>

I would avoid the 175 with a 20" 1:12 your not making 2 whole twists I would use 168.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Das_Shiffty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Devils_Emissary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 sps tactical with 20" 1:12 barrel. Looking for the best load for 1000+ yards. Shot out to 600+ with 168gr Hornady A-Max and they did well...about 3/4 MOA. Should I try 175+gr to reach out to 1000+? New to this... any info will be appreciated. </div></div>

I would avoid the 175 with a 20" 1:12 your not making 2 whole twists I would use 168. </div></div>

DE, I would avoid suggestion from DS and run with the 175 SMK. 190 SMK would be worth trying also. 168 is not worth messing with if you are going to 1K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Das_Shiffty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Devils_Emissary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Rem 700 sps tactical with 20" 1:12 barrel. Looking for the best load for 1000+ yards. Shot out to 600+ with 168gr Hornady A-Max and they did well...about 3/4 MOA. Should I try 175+gr to reach out to 1000+? New to this... any info will be appreciated. </div></div>

I would avoid the 175 with a 20" 1:12 your not making 2 whole twists I would use 168. </div></div>

DE, I would avoid suggestion from DS and run with the 175 SMK. 190 SMK would be worth trying also. 168 is not worth messing with if you are going to 1K.</div></div>

Totally agree. 175's make it to 1000 everyday with that exact setup.

Yes, absolutely, the 168 smk will not consistently stay supersonic to 1000 yards. Some get to the target with a crack, and some just thud on through. Not enough length for the job.

The 178 Amax is the bullet to use. The SMKs are good bullets, when they're good. But, too often, the meplate gets dinged up in shipping and there are always flyers when using that bullet. The molded tip on the AMAXs eliminates flyers, which can significantly affect your score at 1K.

All of my shooting buddies who have started flying AMAX bullets at 1K have been happy with the result and have stayed with that bullet once they've tried it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, absolutely, the 168 smk will not consistently stay supersonic to 1000 yards. Some get to the target with a crack, and some just thud on through. Not enough length for the job.

The 178 Amax is the bullet to use. The SMKs are good bullets, when they're good. But, too often, the meplate gets dinged up in shipping and there are always flyers when using that bullet. The molded tip on the AMAXs eliminates flyers, which can significantly affect your score at 1K.

All of my shooting buddies who have started flying AMAX bullets at 1K have been happy with the result and have stayed with that bullet once they've tried it. </div></div>

Not sure where to start with this ...
To the OP , the above is BS.
Hornady makes a fine bullet for sure , but The Sierra Matchking is and has been the gold standard for some time.

Try the 175 SMK and the 155 Bergers and Scenars

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, absolutely, the 168 smk will not consistently stay supersonic to 1000 yards. Some get to the target with a crack, and some just thud on through. Not enough length for the job.</div></div>

Not absolutely true but close enough. The 168grain A-Max on the other hand at 2,750FPS will go the distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 178 Amax is the bullet to use. The SMKs are good bullets, when they're good. But, too often, the meplate gets dinged up in shipping and there are always flyers when using that bullet. The molded tip on the AMAXs eliminates flyers, which can significantly affect your score at 1K.</div></div>

Actually the 178grain A-Max ballistically only performs about the same as the 175grain SMK does. On the other hand the Hornady 178grain Match bullets are much better than 175grain SMKs in terms of supersonic distance. If you launch a 178HMatch at the same velocity as is needed to keep a 175grain SMK supersonic at 1K the 178HMatch will still be supersonic at 1,200 yards! The Hornady 178grain Match is extremely efficent but it is an oddly shaped bullet and not all guns will shoot it accurately. The ogive is in a different place relative to the so your normal bullet seating settings won't work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rugrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of my shooting buddies who have started flying AMAX bullets at 1K have been happy with the result and have stayed with that bullet once they've tried it. </div></div>

Get better shooting buddies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it's pretty well established that 175 SMK is the go to round for 1000 yards and thereabouts. Better BC than the 178 AMAX.</div></div>
+1 hit the nail on the head.

Lately there are many reports of 175 SMK hits at extended ranges, well beyond supersonic range. Same with the lapua scenar 155 gr, but this is a much less used bullet (no military use).

Same reports on the .338 scenar 250, but this is a different caliber.

How consistent is the 175 SMK in making the transonic transition well, without degradation of accuracy (or a minimal one)?

Are we past the former conventional wisdom that only supersonic range counts? If so, what are the bullets to use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How consistent is the 175 SMK in making the transonic transition well, without degradation of accuracy (or a minimal one)?

</div></div>

It's pretty good. I have almost 100 rounds of 175 smks between 1k and 1.3k. My load in my area goes sub around 1150-1200 depending on environmental factors. Wind is the killer. The bullet is pretty consistent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 185 Berger...lotsa powder...
bill larson </div></div>
+1 it works!

I have a Rem 700 LTR with same set up. 20" 1:12 twist barrel. I used 165 SMK,s out to 600 as well but after reading info on this site, I tried 175's. Shot past 600 yrds for the first time 2 days ago and hit 3 for 3 shots at 850 yrds. I ordered a new scope this morning and plan to try 1000 once it arrives. Using 44.5 gr of Varget.