• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best RRS Setup for McMillan Stock?

skulldragr17

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
South Carolina
There are many great rifle mounting options through Really Right Stuff (RRS). For those that have tried out several of them, is there any setup in particular that you would say is best for a McMillan A5 stock? The VYCE definitely seems like the most simple thing to use but I would think it would compromise some stability due to the rounded forend of the McMillan stock. I've been leaning towards installing a small Anschutz rail and using that adapter, but I'm open for other suggestions.

If you can find a way to direct mount it, do so, it's more stable. Having said that, guys have been hitting targets with saddles for years, so that's still a viable option...albeit with a touch more movement involved

Reactions: YotaEer
Thanks for the input! I'm quite experienced when it comes to saddles. They are definitely sturdy, but might as well take the extra step if you can make it more sturdy.

If you decide to use the RRS Anschutz rail adaptor, make sure the rail you install on your stock is actually Anschutz spec.

Reason being, the 'Anschutz' rail that McMillan installs at the factory is not true to spec. I found this out the hard way, as the RRS adaptor would not fit/slide onto the McM rail.
Wound up having to modify an Arca Swiss plate paired to a dovetail base for mating to the McM rail on my A3...

Now that the plate is mounted, the RRS QD throw lever leveling base interface does work great!

IMG_5572.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5572.JPG
    IMG_5572.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
One thing about the Anschutz rail is that it's located more toward the forend of the gun. I think the best balance point is more toward the mag well and I don't think you'd ever likely use the forward positions. Simplest choice would be just to drill and mount two T-nuts from above in front of the recoil lug and set them so they are flush underneath the fore-end. Then you can screw on the arca plate when you need it or remove it when you don't, and minimal visible effect on the stock from underneath. You definitely want two screws to prevent twisting.

I found these pics somewhere... maybe the old hide so credit goes to OP.

just screw plate directly to your stock.... In a traditional stock you can just epoxy some 1/4 T nuts into the stock.

Get a plate, 1/4-20 T Nut, 1/4 QD.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Fi0sMZJ.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Drill and counterbore until t Nut is almost flush then epoxy the heck out of it.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/F5HAEdR.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/QSBdE8M.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Should end up with this:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Di6gkrm.jpg "}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
^^^those pics are mine, LOL^^^ That was a 'test run' on my .22LR, to see if the T-nut idea would work. Thanks for posting them back up!
I used the same plate to mate to the Ansschutz rail above, just had to find a backing plate that'd work. Then swap to longer screws...
IMG_5073.JPG

The T-nut install does work well & have since installed that same setup on a few McMillans, with the T-nuts epoxied in place...

If you decide to use the RRS Anschutz rail adaptor, make sure the rail you install on your stock is actually Anschutz spec.

Reason being, the 'Anschutz' rail that McMillan installs at the factory is not true to spec. I found this out the hard way, as the RRS adaptor would not fit/slide onto the McM rail.
Wound up having to modify an Arca Swiss plate paired to a dovetail base for mating to the McM rail on my A3...

Now that the plate is mounted, the RRS QD throw lever leveling base interface does work great!

View attachment 6529210

Do you have a link for the RRS Anschutz rail adaptor you mention?

If budget isn’t a huge constraint, have it inletted and fit with either an ingenuity rail and use their arca adapter, or get the ingenuity arca rail + regular adjusta rail.

It’s much faster than arca clamps and it’s contained inside the rail. So no falling off like arca clamps do if you loosen too much.

Just ordered on the the new McMillan A-10’s and they are going to inlet it for the ingenuity.

I don’t really utilize the barricade blocks anymore, but the bipod adapter is badass.

I’ve got a McMilan A3 on the way that will have the Anschutz rail so I’ll just have to find out the best ways to work with it. Maybe just a couple pic rails on it. One up front for bipod and another in front of the mag for tripod connection point. Modifying the RRS to Anschutz adapter kinda sounds like a pain

Ive taken to having Henderson RSR Mlok rails inletted and installed on hunting rifles so I retain the smooth forearm but I can mount a 3" rrs plate or a full 12" rail if I want.
This looks like a great setup. How/who is inletting your stock and installing the rail? Does Henderson offer that service? Thanks

If anyone has a RRS Anschütz ARCA adapter I would like one please. I have a new Anschütz 1761 MTR and I need an ARCA plate. Thank you!

Mine is an A3A but I did the same with inletting a Henderson rail and used a RRS mount as far back as possible. Gives a very strong lock up. I would never go back to a saddle.

660BD1B0-29E7-4EDC-9889-BE7EEF5BB2D5.jpeg

660BD1B0-29E7-4EDC-9889-BE7EEF5BB2D5.jpeg
8A596873-72FD-4972-AE5E-0B7B0A94F415.jpeg
2D678889-9288-4823-A8A8-96F9A137B7EB.jpeg
CB28ACA5-4B67-4FBB-A23A-97FA8609599A.jpeg