• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best running shoes? What are the best running shoes for the $$$

I prefer Brooks and I am on my second pair af the Ravenna 5's. A lot of the answers you seek can not be had with a question on the internet. I stopped in my local full service running shop and they observed my ankle movement during a series of different steps/movements and determined the type of support that would be best for my foot/ankle. They then brought out 6 or 7 different brands and let me try them and even take a little jog up and down the street to determine which ones felt the best. I need a light type of support and never knew that before. My running has been way more enjoyable since I was properly fitted. Hope this helps.

The Capn'

A quality running shop where they observe your stride is the best way to select the "best" shoes for your foot and mechanics.

I have had good luck with ASICS Gel Nimbus, but my boss (a lifetime marathoner) swears by Brooks and even has started wearing some art-house type brand of shoe I don't remember.

YMMV, comfort and fit is WAY more important than what people on the internet say.

^^^+3 on a local running shop to analyze your foot and stride. I went through several different popular brands over the years and went to a running shop on advice from a friend. Some of the best damn advice I every received. Being able to try a couple of different pair on that worked for my foot and style really let me get the best for me.

I'm partial to Brooks. Go to a real shoe store and talk to somebody in there. Brooks has a 30 day replacement warranty. For any reason you are not satisfied, bring them back in any condition in 30 days and they will either swap or refund, I don't remember. I have never had to take a pair back though. Love em.

Getting fit at a legit running store is the only way to go. I used to run in asics cumulus but recently switched to the Brooks ghost and have been very happy. Have about fifty miles on my current pair.

As others have said, go to a legit running store and have them see your arches, stride, and foot structure. You need to try them all on and see what works best. I'd bet you're going to get a good look at Brooks, Asics, maybe Saucony, maybe New Balance. I tend to favor Brooks, but I don't do much distance running anymore.

Getting analyzed/fitted is the way to go. I'm fortunate that I'm a "neutral" runner (or was when I was dumb enough to punish my knees and back for fun) and ran in New Balance for most of my life with the exception of a pair of the old Nike Air Maxx that were true running shoes compared to most of the crap they've put out.

What I liked about NB was that after you were analyzed and fitted, you knew which (numerical) series of shoe you needed, so when it was time to replace them you just looked at the shoes in that series (600, 900, etc) and you could shop online or wherever and ensure that you were getting the right type of shoe.

When I used to run with a group of triathletes they were ALL in either Brooks or Saucony and swore by them. My attachment to NB was probably as much about nostalgia and habit as anything, since they were the first pair of proper running shoes I ever owned back as a pre-teen.

And if you are a Nike fan, you will find the exact same set of benefits from Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax or the Nike Pegasus that has excellent stabilty.

Based on price, the GTS 9 still wins hands down, but the two other recommended shoes offer great value for the more expensive price they have.

gotta go to the local running store and get looked at to see what sort of shoe you need. i'm neutral and really like the Saucony Triumph.

Go get fitted at a running shop, but I prefer both Brooks and Saucony.
For trails (my preferred running) I have a pair of Salomons I love.

IMO stay away from VFF. I have put many many miles on mine and have had no problems. Yes they truly did strengthen my feet and lower legs in ways that I have never done. However with that being said most people will develop a problem (usually from impact damage) over time. Several people I train with have experienced problems all related to the VFF style of shoe. I also have put may miles on my Merrell Trail Gloves and love them (actually they are killer for lifting weights) but they too have no cushion and will eventually create problems for most people especially inexperienced runners.

I am a big fan of the Brooks Pure Flow and Merrell Mix Master Move. But the best advice is go to specialty shop and get a stride analysis and a professional recommendation.

Brooks Ghost series are all I have worn for the last three years. Out of the box I can put them on and run 5-10 miles without any issue.

Having been a distance runner through high school and at a D1 college (and still training nowadays for a hopeful 100 mile race) it cannot be stressed enough to be properly fit. My advice is do not go to a big box store (Dicks would be an example). Go to a smaller local place that will take the proper time and not care the amount of shoes you need.

Through my career, I probably had north of 14000 miles in Asics (mostly the GT series). I loved the brand and the comfort of the shoes, but kept having reoccurring issues or injuries. After finally getting fit again, it was determined my stride had changed and that I should look into a different series or brand of shoes. I ended up switching to the Mizuno Wave River series. I have probably 5000 or so miles in Mizunos and things are looking pretty damn good.

Spend a few hours getting checked and properly fit. It could make huge differences in your satisfaction with running.

I highly recommend finding a specialty shop; though do not go after work when you are tired, and have been wearing dress shoes all day. Go when you have time to stretch and maybe do a lite jog before so they can see your most natural running style to fit you the best.

When you go in for a running shoe fitting, bring an old (worn) pair of your running shoes with you - this will help them determine the best shoe for you. I've worn many of the shoes mentioned here, but my latest shoes have been Saucony Grid or Triumph.

Asics and New Balance are the only brands I can run in of the ones I have tried. I have tried Brooks, Saucony, and a weird minimalist shoe that I can't remember the brand of. My brother, however, can't run in Asics or New Balance. He runs in Brooks.

There are a zillion physiological differences between people that can make their stride different and there are a lot of shapes for feet.

Different shoes have differing amounts of heel lift, different toe boxes, different all kind of things. Also, your weight is a factor in how much cushioning you need. If you are over 180 lb, get heavier cushioning than if you are a buck fifty five. You do need to be fit. However, one brand's neutral shoe is different than another brand's neutral shoe, and only running in one can tell you if it is going to work. A store that will let you run in a pair for 30 days and swap them if they don't work is a great deal. There are some around.

If I was going to start somewhere, it would be Asics.

Newton's work well for me. But the answer to your question is the best shoe is the one that fits you and your style of running the best. Get fitted

A quality running shop where they observe your stride is the best way to select the "best" shoes for your foot and mechanics.

I have had good luck with ASICS Gel Nimbus, but my boss (a lifetime marathoner) swears by Brooks and even has started wearing some art-house type brand of shoe I don't remember.

YMMV, comfort and fit is WAY more important than what people on the internet say.

^^^ This is the correct answer. I hadn't run on the road for a lot of years and went through about 5 pairs of shoes (and well over $600) in a short period of time before simply being fitted. It turns out I am an underpronator (I had no idea) and the ASICS Gel Nimbus 15 are what I needed. I have been trail running and adventure racing for a long time, but that's a completely different game and the Salomon's and North Face's I wear for that are not good for the pavement and requires a more loosely fitting shoe. A visit to a reputable shop that offers this service is time well spent.

Chuck Taylor All Stars. Just kidding. Mizunos have held up good for me. I just ordered some Saucony Ride 7's size 12.5. Try finding that size in-stock at a store. Going to change things up and try some HIIT.

Brooks Glycerin 12's. I HATE running shoes and always wore minimal support shoes for running. After trying those Brooks on I'm a changed man.

I've run for years, used to run competitively and would burn through new sets of shoes every 2-3 months so I've gotten to wear a lot of different shoes. The most important thing you need to do is get properly fitted by someone who has been trained to fit people for running shoes. While x model may fit one individual and be the best fit for them, that same model may not be remotely comfortable for you and can even lead to injury. Most of my shoes tend to be Brooks, Asics, and Mizuno's. The Asics and the Brooks are generally the most durable from my experience. I've never been thrilled with any of my Nike, Puma, or Addidas running shoes for actual running, I tend to leave those for just regular wear.

Find what works for you. No real shortcut other than trial and error. Once you find it, buy several pairs online when they go on end-of-year closeout in July-August for nearly half price.

Mizuno goes longer between making major changes to shoe models than other makers. I wore the Wave Precision from 2003-2014 before they made a major change and eliminated that particular shoe.

I typically run 30-40 miles a week and have went through a shit ton of shoes last year alone. Of all of them, I've had 4 pairs of Nike Lunarglide 5, and am now on a pair of Lunarglide 6. The ultimate combination of weight, flexibility, support and feel.

That being said, my new favorite is the Hoka One One Clifton. Two ounces lighter than my Lunarglides, but worlds softer. Its like running on grass. Near the same experience is the Saucony Virratta, but the Hoka Clifton feels more cushioned and protected.

The new trend in running shoes has the pendulum swinging back towards more cushioned shoes. What's new this time around is now we are seeing low offset highly cushioned shoes. Before shoes with lots of cushion placed all of it in the heel, which was worthless if you land mid-foot like you should be, and as a result you were stuck with tons of unneeded weight. So now you get a cushioned ride which encourages good form.

Anyone tried Newtons? I'm on the last miles of my first pair. I love the shoes but they come in the ugliest brightest colors imaginable. I may give Brooks a shot, if I can't find a pair of Newtons I can stomach wearing.

PUMA FAAS series running shoes are the shit! I've used the FAAS 500's for five years in a row to run the Baker2Vegas Race (not the same pair obviously).

My advise would be to go to a good running shop, have them analyze your stride. Try on a bunch of different brands/ types of shoes (ignore the price tags). Your knees are worth more than any 100-300 shoe.

Im on my 3rd pair of Inov-8's. I really like them. Well constructed and seem to last a good long time. Made in England if I remember correctly(I try to stay away from the Chinese made stuff).

I went and did the professional fit. They put me into a stability shoe(over pronated) with insoles since I had a slightly low arch. I didnt mind that part, but they also put me in a shoe that had a ridiculously thick sole, especially at the heel, and it made running smoothly hard as I always felt like I was dragging the heel since I run mid-foot strike.

Once I switched to a more minimalist shoe(at the recommendation of the local triathlon shop) my stride got better, knees feel better, no more feeling like I was going to trip over the heels of my shoes, etc... I can go longer with less effort.

I think, just as important as a good fit, is to take a couple running lessons. Might sound dumb, but I took a few lessons from the local tri shop and the lady helped fix some things I was doing mechanically and technically wrong in order to have a smoother stride which all equates to less physical energy being put out for the same work load. Im sure my stride still isnt perfect, I am 100% sure of that, but it was money well spent IMO.

Very very happy with my Nike Free Running shoes. You really can't go wrong with any of the models that have the flexible sole. They allow your foot to bend and fall the way it naturally would, eliminating a lot of the pain associated with running. I run 6+ miles a day and have not found a better pair of shoes to run in.

Anyone tried Newtons? I'm on the last miles of my first pair. I love the shoes but they come in the ugliest brightest colors imaginable. I may give Brooks a shot, if I can't find a pair of Newtons I can stomach wearing.

Love my Newtons. Try getting the trail running model. Mine came in black.

I always weighed around 215 when I was a regular runner. Also, have a wide foot with high instep. Found that the New Balance shoe was best for me. Can get it in EE width. Agree with everyone who says to go to a runners store to get a proper fit. Also, my opinion, forget the shoe goo. By the time your shoes are that worn, they won't be giving you the proper support...use them for cutting the grass.

Take a good look at the Nike Free Running line. They let your foot flex and land mid-sole giving you the most out of your runs and reduce undo stress.

Getting fitted properly is a Must...

I've enjoyed Saucony, personally.

I had been using Asics for years, and after proper fit"the most important thing" went with Saucony.

Brooks Glycerin for me. Always buy last years model at 1/2 price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk