• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best SASS for the money

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey all,

My buddy wants to get a .308 semi rifle and the .308 AR world is a lot different than the plug and play world of the AR-15's. Until the other night, him and I were both under the impression that most any AR10 upper will work on any AR10 lower, but we thought wrong.

His design requirements are kinda simple, but you guys are the experts here, not me so figured I'd ask on his behalf.

18-20" barrel
Free float rail
Ability to customize the lower, such as replace triggers / stock with Magpul PRS.

He really likes the M110 SASS but LOL at KAC's prices. So, to get the closest to the M110 design, would DPMS be the way to go for price, features and accuracy? Or would you recommend something else and if so, why?

I'm trying to find him the best deal for around $1600 for when he's ready to buy. There were a few nice ones in the for sale section here on the Hide but he's not ready to purchase yet.

Re: Best SASS for the money

There are higher end options that will eak you out a little more in terms of performance and reliability, but in terms of bang for the buck you can't beat the DPMS.

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-complete-308.shtml

decent setup for the money, has decent trigger and a LMT SOPMOD.

Larue OBR, LMT, POF, GAP, are all great rigs ... but have a price. Will they outshoot the DPMS? Yep they will with equal shooters. Do you "need" that extra half moa of accuracy? Are you going to handload rounds or only shoot match ammo? If you said yes to both then your gonna have to pony up $2500 ... If not ... save a $1000 and get a DPMS

The M110 SASS is basically a 20" barrel, quad free float rail and an A2 stock with an extendable buttplate. If that's the sort of rifle he wants he can build it for 1600 no problem. I've done it a couple times now.

I picked up the DPMS SASS back in around November for $1700+change on gunbroker. I have been VERY happy with it so far. Best group so far (ALL my fault) has been .69 inch 5 shot group (prone from the bipod) that only opened into a 1.15 inch 10 shot group with some pulled shots (all 168g FGMM, no handloads produced in more than 5 round workups so far).

At least for me and what i'd consider my novice skill-set, that is fantastic. I'd imagine that the more expensive rifles may be alittle lighter, have a better name brand barrel, etc...but if it's your first entry into the precision gas gun world i just can't seem to find a fault in the DPMS.

Now, what is the benefit to say the Armalite adjustable gas system because my buddy would like to eventually put a can on whichever rifle he chooses.

Would this be required for the gas system to function and cycle the rifle, or is it not really all that necessary?

I know guys often put cans on their AR-15's but I can't say I've ever come across a discussion about having to put and adjustable gas system on one in order to run a suppressor, but I haven't really dug that deep into the subject.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snake Plissken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWRC REPR</div></div>

Maybe you missed the part where the OP said...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I'm trying to find him the best deal for around $1600 for when he's ready to buy.</span></span></div></div>

and the last time I checked, the LWRC REPR is nowhere in the neighborhood of $1600.
confused.gif

I built a dpms sass-10 for about 1600 just off of sites like midway and pk firearms and brownells I shot 1/2" groups all day. Just my opinion

"For the money" I'd have to go with a DPMS SASS. I got mine on Gunbroker for $1,775 brand new. If your friend wants one for $1,600 he will probably have to buy a used one (probably for less than $1,600). I think it will be hard to find a new one for $1,600. Honestly, when I was looking for one, the DPMS, Armalite, and Knight's Armament were the only SASS guns I even knew existed. Since then I've learned about others. The other two were so far away from my budget that DPMS was my only choice.

A lot of people bag on DPMS around here, but mine has functioned flawlessly and is VERY accurate. Typically, when I hit the range and check my zero, I'm almost always 3/4 MOA or better. I'm sure there are bad DPMS rifles out there, but fortunately, I have not seen one as of yet. I've shot a few DPMS guns (non SASS models) and each have worked and shot well. I always take complaints about the accuracy of someone's .308 AR with a grain of salt....mainly because they are very different to shoot from a bolt action. The ergonomics take some getting used to....at least it did for me (no prior military service). People around here use the term "driving the rifle". You do have to "drive" them differently.

All that being said, if I had it to do all over again, I would have saved up a few hundred dollars more and got a GAP-10 ($2,600 new). I have never shot one, nor have I held one. On the same token, I've never heard one single negative thing about them. They are scary accurate from what I have read and they are absolutely beautiful. The plus side to a GAP-10 is if your friend ever decides to sell it for some reason, it will probably hold its value far better than the DPMS.

There are a lot of great SASS weapons out there, but for $1,600 he is pretty much tied to a DPMS. And if that is all he wants to spend, he can buy a DPMS and will more than likely be very pleased with it like I am of mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snake Plissken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LWRC REPR</div></div>

Maybe you missed the part where the OP said...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I'm trying to find him the best deal for around $1600 for when he's ready to buy.</span></span></div></div>

and the last time I checked, the LWRC REPR is nowhere in the neighborhood of $1600.
confused.gif
</div></div>

Heh, yep. Totally missed that part, my bad.

There was a post almost just like this not long ago the overwhelming response was dpms

Ok, I'm the buddy Jello Storm was talking about. I finally created an account. lol

So the questions he asked for me have been on spot. Thank you for the feed back. I'm not necessarily bound to 1600$ but more of a range from 1600 to 2100. I was looking at the AR10 Super Sass first so that is where the 2100 came into play. Obviously I want to not get to crazy with price so the LWRC REPR, as nice as it is, is way out of my price range. I actually saw that first when I started down this path and off of the REPR I deciced to go middle of the road on versatility and range. I then started leaning towards a Scar 17 but now I'm kind of set on a SASS.

I also think CMMG just put one out a few months ago. You can only get it through an online gun site, not even direct from CMMG, but it's a "budget" SASS and i've read a few positive things about it as well.

My AR-15 is a CMMG and i have nothing but good things to say about them, so i wouldn't be afraid of trying it out.

I was leaning to the AR10 because I wanted to build the rifle as apposed to just buying NiB. I found a stripped AR10 lower for 149 and a 2 stage match parts kit 200. The DPMS lowers I found were double the price of the AR10 and the parts kit was about the same. Where I was having difficult time was with the upper. The AR10 uppers I was finding were the same amount as a NiB DPMS rifle. Can anyone tell me what upper receiver manufacturers make uppers that fit the AR10 lower and the same for DPMS lowers?

And as Jello Storm has mentioned earlier, I will be putting a suppressor on the this rifle so suggestions on that would be helpful as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronSides 1-41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'm the buddy Jello Storm was talking about. I finally created an account. lol

So the questions he asked for me have been on spot. Thank you for the feed back. I'm not necessarily bound to 1600$ but more of a range from 1600 to 2100. I was looking at the AR10 Super Sass first so that is where the 2100 came into play. Obviously I want to not get to crazy with price so the LWRC REPR, as nice as it is, is way out of my price range. I actually saw that first when I started down this path and off of the REPR I deciced to go middle of the road on versatility and range. I then started leaning towards a Scar 17 but now I'm kind of set on a SASS. </div></div>

Save yourself just a few hundred more and get a POF!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272293401

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronSides 1-41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was leaning to the AR10 because I wanted to build the rifle as apposed to just buying NiB. I found a stripped AR10 lower for 149 and a 2 stage match parts kit 200. The DPMS lowers I found were double the price of the AR10 and the parts kit was about the same. Where I was having difficult time was with the upper. The AR10 uppers I was finding were the same amount as a NiB DPMS rifle. Can anyone tell me what upper receiver manufacturers make uppers that fit the AR10 lower and the same for DPMS lowers? </div></div>

I had the same problem which was why I assembled my own upper. They aren't hard to put together to be honest and it takes less than 100$ worth of tools (and you WILL use those tools again trust me once you build one you'll want another).

Went with a tactical machining lower (DPMS pattern) and DPMS upper last time as those were the cheapest I could find (TM lower finish was a little ugly but incredibly good fit which is what matters). If you want sources for parts the best I have found are:

JSESurplus for DPMS and other small parts

Rainier for stuff JSE doesn't have

762SASS for Armalite (get the feeling it's a really tiny shop but they are nice people and take care of customers)

Fulton Armory nice sub 300buck stainless barrels just make sure it is finish chambered as they used to sell them short-chambered (gunsmith chambers it to your bolt)

As far as what to build that's up to you but I can tell you that my first 308 AR was a "SASS" type, second was a 16" carbine type. When I finished the carbine I sold the SASS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CajunAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also think CMMG just put one out a few months ago. You can only get it through an online gun site, not even direct from CMMG, but it's a "budget" SASS and i've read a few positive things about it as well.
</div></div>

It's through CDNN and some other places. Looks like a CTR stock, midwest free float handguard, CMMG lower/DPMS upper with 18" DPMS SASS barrel. Assuming it's put together properly it sounds like a good choice on paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all,

My buddy wants to get a .308 semi rifle and the .308 AR world is a lot different than the plug and play world of the AR-15's. Until the other night, him and I were both under the impression that most any AR10 upper will work on any AR10 lower, but we thought wrong.

His design requirements are kinda simple, but you guys are the experts here, not me so figured I'd ask on his behalf.

18-20" barrel
Free float rail
Ability to customize the lower, such as replace triggers / stock with Magpul PRS.

He really likes the M110 SASS but LOL at KAC's prices. So, to get the closest to the M110 design, would DPMS be the way to go for price, features and accuracy? Or would you recommend something else and if so, why?

I'm trying to find him the best deal for around $1600 for when he's ready to buy. There were a few nice ones in the for sale section here on the Hide but he's not ready to purchase yet.

</div></div>
I can't speak to their quality but I looked at some CMMG's that were decent for around 1500.

If your building, Take a look at the Mega Ma-Ten. I went this route. I wanted to be able to use Magpul Pmags for 16.00 vs the alternative for 40.00 + for AR-10 mags.

Id still build one for sub 1700 and put the rest on optics there just as important as the rifle

For the money you can't go wrong with DPMS. I built mine and have about $1200 in it w/o Optics or bipod. All parts were from classifieds. Build up is almost exactly the same as AR15 but as others have mentioned you have to watch upper to lower pattern.

That said I do think Armalite parts are a little better quality then DPMS (machining and fit).

As far as POF's the quality is hit or miss. I have had two and friends have have at least 3-4 others. Quality ranged from worse then DPMS to better then Larue. You just never know. FYI, I am running a POF lower on my DPMS upper

Contact D&S gun works
They are building me a .308 AR
Mega upper/lower, kreiger 20" barrel, Troy rifle length fore arm, Troy Grip, A2 butt stock, DPMS chrome bolt carrier and lower parts kit with ambi safety, Troy QD sling mounts, Troy Claymore muzzel break, CMC flat trigger. Cera Kote entire rifle. Price Est. 2,200

Give em a call D&S Gun Work, Ft. Smith AR 1-479-252-6644

For the price of a KAC go with a LaRue OBR. The M110 is an over priced hit and miss AR platform. I know one guy with an OBR who ran it for 2000 rounds without cleaning and without a malfunction. Lower you can replace the stock, grip, and trigger. You're also looking at sub-MOA out of the box.

Question why does it have to be a "SASS"? Isn't that just an acronym that some company came up with to tag the words "sniper and system" onto a rifle that just about anyone can build with some basic knowledge, so that they can jack up the price?

If your buddy is on a budget, how bout he just build his own rifle and he can call it whatever he wants. With the money he saves he can have a smith do some work on it and make it as good if not better than some of the mass produced units.

I recently purchased a 18" AR308 that was put together by G.A. Precision from someone that was selling it for whatever reason. I have been looking for a Semi-Auto 308 for atleast a year now. I would tell your buddy not to get into a rush, take his time & the right rifle/deal will fall into his lap. One thing I will say is a semi-auto will cost more than a bolt gun but I'm enjoying it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IronSides 1-41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And as Jello Storm has mentioned earlier, I will be putting a suppressor on the this rifle so suggestions on that would be helpful as well. </div></div>

save some more coin and get a GAP10 with the Noveske switch block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might have to inquire about the suppressor and gas system in the suppressors section. </div></div>

I bought my DPMS SASS a few years back when that was about the only choice and at the time it was the shit! If your friend is gonna run a DPMS SASS suppressed he will need an adjustable gas block if he wants it to run reliably as they are overgassed. I have the original proto type gas block from Palidin machine built for that rifle that fits under the original handguard with little modification (Opening up an existing whole so on the handguard for adjustment)I think I paid a lil over 100 buck for it but after installing it mine runs 100% all of the time suppressed.

As far as accuracy is concerned, With my handloads I would put mine up against all takers with a similar rifle, I had an Armilite SASS that would NOT shoot as well as my DPMS.

As for being practical, I'm a big guy 6'2" 250lbs and in good shape but I do NOT like carrying this monster around! Suppressed or not its a beast!

Good luck
Doug