• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best savage .223 bolt action?

308sniper147

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Huntsville, AL
I have been thinking about purchasing a savage rifle as a gift. I am not personally experienced with savage rifles but have heard nothing but great things. I have read that out of the box accuracy surpasses that of the remington 700 sps tactical as a general statement. I owned a remington 700 sps tactical in .223 and it shot sub .75" out of the box but from what I've read that is not the normal. With all of this said which savage .223 would give me the best "bang for my buck" ....pun intended;).... I want to pay for quality but if I could get a lower priced rifle that would be very accurate firing from a bipod I could possibly afford base and rings aswell to help my recipient out. So I would love your guys input and experiences with different rifles. Good accuracy out of the box would be great as my recipient doesn't have a huge budget to put into rifles. I'm actually trying to get them more into it with this rifle. So please fill me in!

Thanks,
Andrew

I bought my wife a Stevens model 200 (I think it runs the model 10 action?) in .223 because she wanted a deer rifle. It was only $250 out the door so figured I didn't have much to lose. I cut the barrel down to 16" and threaded and re crowned it. Had to clearance the barrel channel as well. It shoots sub half moa with Utramax 40 gr. Noslers, I haven't tried reloading for it yet but I'm sure I could bring the groups down. I'd have to say it's the most accurate rifle for the price.

Last edited:
Not looking to have to do mods to a weapon as I don't have a gunsmith close that I trust. But that is a dang good shooter for that price and that simplistic of a rifle. Also, can't go a 16" barrel my recipient regularly shoots my 308 out to 800 yards with me so I need atleast 20" barrel preferably longer for increased velocity.

With your budget or going just a little higher I like the model 12 series. Take a look at all the variations and see which fits the shooting style best. With the model 12's if you ever want to upgrade changing the pipe is real easy. Shilen makes a great drop in and turns them into some impressive shooters.

With your budget or going just a little higher I like the model 12 series. Take a look at all the variations and see which fits the shooting style best. With the model 12's if you ever want to upgrade changing the pipe is real easy. Shilen makes a great drop in and turns them into some impressive shooters.

Savage 01282 12FV Varminter .223 Remington

You talking about this rifle?

I have a Savage FCP-SR .308 5R , 22 in heavy barrel fluted in a black accustock put a 20 MOA rail on it with a SWFA 12X and after 200 down the tube I am always impressed with how little I had to put down to get such performance. But like many I do want to put a Manners stock or similar with it, But out of the box I am happy.

Any accuracy increase with the laminate stocks? Both are dual pillar bedded and free floating barrel. Although, does the cheaper one have a flimsy forend like the remington houge stock and it will bend up and touch the barrel with a bipod?

I was never a fan of the savage Tupperware stocks. The laminates are nice stocks and I believe are made by boyds. To save a little cash you can buy a cheaper variant model 12 with a heavy barrel in blued steel and sell the stock and get a boyds laminate. Me I'd just go with the one I linked you via buds, its a really nice rifle and I'm a sucker for stainless :).

I was never a fan of the savage Tupperware stocks. The laminates are nice stocks and I believe are made by boyds. To save a little cash you can buy a cheaper variant model 12 with a heavy barrel in blued steel and sell the stock and get a boyds laminate. Me I'd just go with the one I linked you via buds, its a really nice rifle and I'm a sucker for stainless :).

I like stainless as well. But my recipient has stated many times that they don't .... I know I don't know what is wrong with them lol.

It looks like a lot of (thumbhole and varminter) stocks are indeed made by Boyd's, but he BV stock is different - I haven't seen it in the Boyd's line-up. Actually, if someone knows the source of BV stocks - I would love to know.

Savage 12 Series Varmint Rifles

If you call boyds they will tell you if they make it for them or not but if they do, they may not make you one if you want it. If boyds doesn't make the BV stock the only other company I could imagine savage using while keeping that price point is maybe Richard microfit stocks. Here is one of there stock that are similar Marksman Style

For the price and applications you want, the Savage 12FV is highly adequate.

Yes there are better rifles out there; but this will shoot to a good, small dispersion, and will hit your price point as well. Incidentally, Savage has come a long way since their stocks were 'tupperware'.

Based on experience with a vintage 10FP .223 with the same stock and a 2" shorter barrel, accuracy with Hornady 75gr HPBT Match, as well as BH 75gr BTHP Match remanufactured ammo, the 1:9" twist works well, but the 75gr A-Max won't stabilize. Accuracy with my magazine length handloads at 200yd off the bipod/rear bag on the bench using 75gr HDY BTHP Match (Moly) was sub 1/2MOA at 200yd.

Historically, the black plastic stock had issues with forend flex when supported by bag or bipod, but it is my recollection that this issue was dealt with successfully on the subsequent production models.

Greg

Last edited:
Consider this another vote for the 12FV; I had one that was a legitimate sub-half MOA shooter out to 200yd (furthest I ever shot groups) with 75gr HPBT and 24.0gr Varget.

The 11 Hog Hunter is also another option if you are seeking a shorter, lighter barrel.

You should plan on replacing the stock on either rifle, though the FV stock is at least marginally servicable whereas the Hog Hunter stock is tupperware junk.

And yeah, if you can find a Tikka with 1:8 twist (I think I've read they've been discontinued in favor of a 1:10?) that would be an excellent choice. As an admitted Savage guy, a Tikka action is like buttah.

Consider this another vote for the 12FV; I had one that was a legitimate sub-half MOA shooter out to 200yd (furthest I ever shot groups) with 75gr HPBT and 24.0gr Varget.

The 11 Hog Hunter is also another option if you are seeking a shorter, lighter barrel.

You should plan on replacing the stock on either rifle, though the FV stock is at least marginally servicable whereas the Hog Hunter stock is tupperware junk.

And yeah, if you can find a Tikka with 1:8 twist (I think I've read they've been discontinued in favor of a 1:10?) that would be an excellent choice. As an admitted Savage guy, a Tikka action is like buttah.

A question on tikka. They have a 2 piece bolt and plastic magazines. Is this optimal for longevity and durability?

I've got a Savage 12 LRPV, Left Port in .223. I like it a lot.
Single shot but left port option helps keep things moving along.
1/9" twist was the only option when I got it. 69gr stabilizes very well.
New ones may be slightly lighter as the barrels are now fluted and may be a slightly different contour.
Also, 1/7" is now an option.
Comes with an HS precision stock, not the flimsy accustock.
Target Accutrigger goes down to 6oz. I'm set at 10.
Solid 3/4 min or better out to 300yds, the limit of our range. This one doesn't mind pushing velocity.
Costs more but needs nothing except a cheek rest should you so desire.

For the price and applications you want, the Savage 12FV is highly adequate.

Yes there are better rifles out there; but this will shoot to a good, small dispersion, and will hit your price point as well. Incidentally, Savage has come a long way since their stocks were 'tupperware'.

Based on experience with a vintage 10FP .223 with the same stock and a 2" shorter barrel, accuracy with Hornady 75gr HPBT Match, as well as BH 75gr BTHP Match remanufactured ammo, the 1:9" twist works well, but the 75gr A-Max won't stabilize. Accuracy with my magazine length handloads at 200yd off the bipod/rear bag on the bench using 75gr HDY BTHP Match (Moly) was sub 1/2MOA at 200yd.

Historically, the black plastic stock had issues with forend flex when supported by bag or bipod, but it is my recollection that this issue was dealt with successfully on the subsequent production models.

Greg

Thank you for that info! How did savage resolve the forend flex issues? I know my recipient will change stocks, but I have no idea how long of a time that will be.

I've got a Savage 12 LRPV, Left Port in .223. I like it a lot.
Single shot but left port option helps keep things moving along.
1/9" twist was the only option when I got it. 69gr stabilizes very well.
New ones may be slightly lighter as the barrels are now fluted and may be a slightly different contour.
Also, 1/7" is now an option.
Comes with an HS precision stock, not the flimsy accustock.
Target Accutrigger goes down to 6oz. I'm set at 10.
Solid 3/4 min or better out to 300yds, the limit of our range. This one doesn't mind pushing velocity.
Costs more but needs nothing except a cheek rest should you so desire.

Wow. That's good shooting. I wish my recipient liked stainless....

Thank you for that info! How did savage resolve the forend flex issues? I know my recipient will change stocks, but I have no idea how long of a time that will be.

Prior to the fix, a lot of individuals experimented with recessing and epoxying carbon fiber arrow shafts to the inside of the stock beneath the barrel's location.

Memory's dim, but I believe Savage had their stock vendors redesign the forend with waffle pattern reinforcement ribs molded into the inside.

Greg