• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Savage Drop-In?

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
Looking for a new barrel in .260 to put on my Savage model 10 action. I have been looking around for a while and reading reviews, and there are many good barrels to chose from!

Currently, I am seriously looking at the Criterion and Lothar-Walther, barrels. (Leaning towards Lothar-Walther, but still trying to find more info on criterion)

There are a bunch of other drop in's out there: McGowan, Shilen, Benchmark, Douglas, Pac-nor and many more.

So my question is, for a 26-28" barrel in .260 rem (looking for a stainless)...who do you think has the most reliably accurate and consistent barrels, as well as decent prices?

Thank you!

Re: Best Savage Drop-In?

Call Kevin Rayhill at Stockade and talk with him. He would be the Savage guru. He is a great guy to talk with. I was just talking about the accuracy of his barrels with him the other day when I called to place an order for a stock. Good luck and let us know what route you end up going.

jim at northland has some. its ford v chevy in the barrel area. i have a shilen ss match and its great.

CBI's are a big step above a Lothar-Walther if I am not mistaken. I have one in 260AI and the think is just a down right shooter. Shilens are also awesome. I would stay away from McGowan, they have had a lot of troubles and a barrel I bought from them had a defective chamber. The CBI's and Shilen's are both hand lapped high end barrels. Could always contact Devin at Sinarms. I think he does Brux prefits for 400 or so.

I have a McGowen SS 22" .308 1/10" twist on my model 10. I ordered it from savage-barrel.com. I had zero problems with the order or the barrel. I haven't worked up reloads with it yet, but my results with over the counter fed 150gr softpoints has been way more than I expected from the set up. I've gone through 65 rounds and I'm consistently getting .6 - .75 MOA from them. Certainly not a definitive testing or answer for you, but I'm impressed none the less. -Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CBI is kreager, good barrels... i have a Shilen on my 260, and its great.. i had it nitrided as well
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,35480.0.html

Shilen 26" - Stainless Match - Small Shank - Varmint - 260 Rem - 8 Twist - $299.00

CBI 26" - Stainless Match - Small Shank - Varmint - 260 Rem. - 8 Twist - $280.00
</div></div>

I went with CBI for the current build, and Shilen for my previous. Once I complete my build I'll be able tell the difference between the two, but either way Jim @ NSS is the only way to go if you're looking for Savage aftermarket barrels

I've had a LW barrel (284) for a little over a year and I'm happy. Can't beat the price and I had it in a week. Customer service is great too, I asked a lot of questions and always got an answer same day...

Thanks guys! For primarily a hunting rifle and a gun that is going to be my way to learn how to shoot long distance, do you think I should go with a 26 or 28" barrel?

I'm VERY happy with my Criterion 260 barrel.

Guys (and gals) have won matches shooting Criterions on their Savages over the last year.

My next Savage barrel will be a Criterion.

+eleventy for Jim Briggs & NSS...he's good people and will fix you up right. Hard to get ahold of some times, but he'll ALWAYS call you back.

My CBI .260 26" SS is a laser!
+1 for Jim Briggs being a great guy to deal with!!

I've got 2 Shilens and 1 CBI from Jim @ Northland and 1 Douglas from SSS. All shoot great.

Hey Bubbah!
Savage 10fcp--24"--1:10
Drop it into a Plaster Ultimate Sniper Stock and you'll smile after you come back from the range. Don't do anythying sexy, just follow the relaoding table religiously or glahhhm onto some M-118LR.

all the best
Chief Bull

Besides why do ya' wanna' shoot a needle anyway?

all the best
slainte mhath
nollaig sona duit
Chief Bull

+1 on Kevin at Stockade. Standup and honest guy who loves to shoot the breeze about guns. He knows savages and will sometimes save you some money too! I have his stock and its amazing, he will be building my next custom.

I run a 26" varmint contour CBI barrel on my savage that was bought from Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. Jim is good peeps.

As for the barrel, CBI shoots great. Holds same accuracy as the Shilen select match barrels that some of my friends have.

My personal opinion 26" is plenty for a 260". I run 26" plus break and have no issue running 140 amax's to 1100yds.

Hope this helps and good luck with your Savage build.

Kevin really is a pleasure to deal with. He has built me on ground up Savege 260 with a Benchmark barrel. Only have a couple hundred down the tube but it's a tack driver. He went through my 10FCP a while back and put a Brux barrel on it I got from Sin Arms. That's a real shooter too. I wouldn't hesitate to go with another Brux or Benchmark.

Jim @ Northlander will help you out. Great customer service.

My Criterion 26" Varmint in the .260 is on its way from Jim @ Northland!

Good choice. You will not be upset. I am about to order another from him in 223AI. Some guy on savageshooters shot several 1.5 inch groups at 600 yards and agged somewhere around 2.5 inches at a recent match with a 6br criterion. They are shooters forsure.