• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Best scope around $600

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
I got $600 saved up for a new scope, But don't know what to get. Best scope I've ever had was only $200. What are my options?

Re: Best scope around $600

mostly target shooting 200-800 yards. It's going on my Remmy .308

I say save up for the Vortex Viper PST series, I'm banking on those for my next build. Good glass for the money, mil/mil or moa/moa, exposed turrets, ffp or sfp, illuminated reticle, etc. They arent coming out until June so you can just save money up until then.

Add an extra $100, buy a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 mil dot.

You would do really well with a Nikon Monarch. Good company and good glass for that price range.

-Nate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add an extra $100, buy a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 mil dot.</div></div>

+1 Have two of em! Love em for the money!

I had a SIII 6-24x50 mil dot and like it so much. I picked up another one, this time used. Look around, you can pick up a used one for that much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also look into a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP. Buy that, and you'll still have money left over for rings</div></div>

There have been a thread or two recently about people having problems with the Falcons. I bought one about a year ago, and was never impressed with the scope. Mag ring was extremely difficult to rotate, and the turrets were mushy with barely audible clicks. Also, there was a lot or play between clicks, and I didn't have much confidence in the turrets. I really liked the reticle and mil adjustments, and the glass wasn't bad. Its just I couldn't get past the issues with the turret and magnification ring, and ultimately traded the scope.

Of course, now that I own a few Sightron SIIIs, I doubt I will buy anything else. I bought two SIII 3.5-10x44s not long after I picked up a my 6-24, and will be adding a 10x42 MMD soon.

I'd consider the Sightrons but would prefer an FFP scope with matching turrets. The Vortex PSTs will probably be the best thing if you are serious about 800 yards. If it's going to be 600 or less, there's the SS 3-9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also look into a Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP. Buy that, and you'll still have money left over for rings</div></div>

There have been a thread or two recently about people having problems with the Falcons. I bought one about a year ago, and was never impressed with the scope. Mag ring was extremely difficult to rotate, and the turrets were mushy with barely audible clicks. Also, there was a lot or play between clicks, and I didn't have much confidence in the turrets. I really liked the reticle and mil adjustments, and the glass wasn't bad. Its just I couldn't get past the issues with the turret and magnification ring, and ultimately traded the scope.

Of course, now that I own a few Sightron SIIIs, I doubt I will buy anything else. I bought two SIII 3.5-10x44s not long after I picked up a my 6-24, and will be adding a 10x42 MMD soon. </div></div>
I know Falcon has new replacement turrets that will solve this issue, but I guess there's nothing to do about the mag ring. I guess in looking at it, I would also be leary of the fact that Falcon is kind of an obscure company that seems like it'd be hard to get ahold of.

Since when did Sightron get so good? I always remembered them as being less than stellar, and then they just kinda disappeared. Guess I've been out of the game for too long..
smile.gif

What is the difference between the Vortex Viper PST and the Vortex Viper? Is it just that the PST has the illuminated reticle?

SWFA SS 3-9x or 10x.....both are awesome....Oh and uh........good luck on the wait time for the PST...... so once again....SS!!!!

Id say Bushnell 3200 and upgrade the trigger to a jewel or upgrade your rings or something on the performance side..

I bought my 3200 for temp scope but am really happy with it so far.
I'm thinking I might just end up keeping it on.

I recently got my Super Sniper and love it. Not the best glass out there, but what you get for the money is well worth it.

I just picked up a 16x SS. I had a 6-24x50 Vortex Crossfire. The Crossfire was the $99.00 package which is worth $200.00 with ease in my opinion. The only down sides for the scope was the focus on the front bell and the covered target turrets.

The SS is has awesome target turrets, mil adjustments are more precise and the mil dots are exact and reliable on making corrections (alot to do with it being a fixed power). Its only down side is the eye relief is much more picky than my Vortex was. Not a huge issue but you have to make sure you get your eye relief just right.

For my shooting the fixed power fits my needs better and is capable out to 1000 with ease but I believe any product from either manufacture is well worth my money.

Good luck,
Merritt

i've been hearing great things about the Bushnell Elites!! great glass and great features.

I think the best scope for a tactical style rifle for the money right now is the new Bushnell 3-12x44 FFP.It has very few faults and excellent glass.Mine is tracking perfectly.I honestly can't say that for some of the other scopes I've owned that were more expensive.

Steve

You can get a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 from cameraland for $650 if they still have demos in stock.That would be my pick for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weasethis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add an extra $100, buy a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 mil dot.</div></div>

+1 Have two of em! Love em for the money! </div></div>
Another one for sightron!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zeiss with a Rapid Z Reticle would fit nicely </div></div>

I'm curious, how do the Zeiss's track over time compared to say the Sightron? Anyone with experience using them?

I originally posted the Nikon Monarch, but I didnt know you could get a hold of a Zeiss conquest for $650.

Hands down the Zeiss quality and glass is leaps ahead of the rest of the scopes listed here. I would put Zeiss glass above the glass on the NF and Leupold scopes. $650 for a conquest is a smoking deal. You should go that route. You wont get a FFP scope, but a heck of a scope that will hold its value.

dougm58 the Zeiss is a great product! Their customer service is phenominal and likely you wont ever need it. Zeiss' warranty is lifelong no questions asked, and no matter who the owner is.

I really like the looks and reviews of the new Vortex PST's and I am considering buying one, but they are several hundred above your budget and if you dont need a FFP scope the Zeiss is a much better buy at $650.

Good Luck,
Nate

For a 308 and 200-800 yards. Horusvision Hawk 3-12x50 with H425 reticle. Works great for me and others at 550.00.

I would shop around and get a used Leupold that will fit your needs, you dont have to get a mark 4 to get the job done. Dont forget DO NOT skimp on the rings and bases! There are a lot of great scopes out there these days in that price range ... aint it fun!

I think thats a new record for us... Not one smart ass comment! hehe BTW- I have a Falcon Menace 5.5x25x50 that I got from sightwonders.com and its nice. I would say the only thing that I do not like is the magnification ring, its pretty damn tough to turn. Oh and the eye relief is a bit tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down the Zeiss quality and glass is leaps ahead of the rest of the scopes listed here</div></div>

I'm not so sure about this comment. I've owned two different Zeiss Conquests, a 3-9 and a 6.5-20x50. Both were very good scopes with excellent glass, but hardly any better than the glass on the Sightron SIII. The SIII's really are that good, and offer a lot more turret travel than the 1" Conquests. And I can tell you unequivocally that Sightron customer service is as good or better than anything you will find with Zeiss, with a much faster turn around time.

After hearing the statements on the Sightron SIII, I'm really curious to look through one now. Especially in low light conditions. That's really where my zeiss conquest shined above the leupold, nikon and bushnell. I've compared the Schmidt and Bender, swarovski, leupold, nikon and the zeiss all at the exact same time during dusk before I made my decision as to which hunting scope I wanted, and to my eyes the zeiss had the best (brightest) visibility in the shadows. Of course the others were very close, but I felt that the zeiss was the winner. And that's over $1500 - $2500 scopes. Since you're going to be using this for a target rifle, you won't have to worry about lighting issues, so you could probably get away with a cheaper scope with great clarity and use the other money for something else.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you decide upon.