• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Scope at or aboot $1000 ?

Re: Best Scope at or aboot $1000 ?

Depends on if you shoot at any other distance than what the scope's parallax was calibrated for.

If you only shoot at 150yds, and your scope is calibrated at 150yds... then its not that important.
smile.gif

Get a counter sniper! Because they have/are Proprietary rare earth/nitrogen/argon gas purged, hard earth sealed.

laugh.gif

I'd like to know as well.... i'm in the market (for a scope) for my 20" REPR. I was thinking about saving the extra coin for a NF 2.5x10x? with the low to medium V reticle.... I've seen thoes for $1200 to $1400.

Kinnamon

Look, the bottom line is it depends on how much precision you are trying to obtain, and the gun you are using.

For a 22LR, having parallax down to 25yds is just as important as having it at 200yds.

For a .223 AR where you'll be using it for hunting or shooting steel out to 300 or 400... obviously you won't need the sub-moa precision... and it won't be that important.

My advice is to learn about parallax so you can understand what it is. Here is an article I found with a 5 second google search.
http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

Then see how it applies to your rifle and what you'll be doing with it... and decide for yourself.

On a serious note,

If you eat enough of these
ramennoodles.jpg

You can buy one of these
logo_nightforce.jpg

Or you could eat the former for a bit longer and buy one of these (what I ended up doing)
us%20optics%20logo.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I think I know the answer, but just how important is adustable parallax...???...

...I remember it as being important... </div></div>

Is Parallax important? Yes, but all scopes have parallax, to a greater or lessor extent, even scopes that have parallax adjustment.

Here what I mean. On my 22LR's I have both fixed and variable scopes. One is a fixed 7.5x50mm SF that focuses down to 10 yds (30 ft). The other is a 6-24x50mm that focuses down to 50 yds. Guess which scope has parallax error @ 10 yds??? Now the error is not much, but on an accurate rifle shooting at a very small target, it is noticeable.

That's one extreme. The other was a well renowned 10x42mm, with no parallax adjustment, the parallax was fixed @ 200 meters. When tried on a 22 lr, shooting @ a 1/2" target @ 50 yds, the scope had 1/4" of parallax error. Not good.

However, when the 10x42mm was shot @ 600 yds, no measurable error. Why? Because the target was big enough, and your group spread was big enough, that no parallax errors could be noted. A fixed parallax scope will have some parallax error at all ranges except what it has been calibrated for. But unless your target is relatively small and close you won't notice it.

So parallax is important at ranges under say 60 yds, firing at very small targets, and at very long range on scope powers over 10x. The higher the scope power, and the smaller the target, the more parallax can bite you in the butt.....

...thanks for the refresher...

...most of my shooting lately has been shooting high qualitiy air rifles at small targets at close range...

...parallax adjuastment was of great imortance, as 60 yds would have been an ELR shot...

...I remember having to be shure the scopes I used could focus and adjust paralax down to at least 10 yds...

...I suppose I could go without an adjustable parallax setting on this rifle, but it goes aginst the grain...

...I remember parallax being an issue varmit hunting as well, even though the ranges were well under 1000 yds...

...there should be some varmit hunting on this rifle's duty roster, and although some of them will be bigger than the last time around, the intended ranges of engagment will be greater...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't I just say that? </div></div>

Yea you did, but I was posting my tome, when you posted and I did not see it till after, so there
grin.gif