• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best scope mount option for TRG-42 in 338LM

Heman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Ohio
I'm purchasing a TRG-42 in 338LM and mounting a NF 5.5x22x50 scope on it. Was thinking about the NF unimount since it has built in 20 MOA and the integral rail on the TRG is flat, is this ok, or is there a better option?

Thanks in advance

Re: Best scope mount option for TRG-42 in 338LM

I've got two TRGs.... TRG22 and TRG42
I use Near Mfg bases on both with Badger Rings with no problems.

I have no experience with other solutions on the TRG platform.

Good Luck,
Jay

There is no integral rail on the TRG series. You will need to purchase the rail separate. On that note, the Near Mfg rail and Alpha Mount are the best set up IMO. Costly but you have an excellent rifle and scope, finish it off right.

I had a Near 25MOA with Nightforce rings when I had the 5.5-22 X56 and it worked great.

I am now putting a S&B w/ Near Alphamount . I have the NF Unimount. I think the Alphamount is as good, if not better since Richard NEar will make whatever you need

He will give you the option of O MOA or 25MO base for your TRG-42 and everything from 0,20, 28, 45 MOA Alphamounts

Here is a 34mm , 28MOA alphmount he made for me. The crappy picture doesn't do it justice !

Alphamount.jpg

I'm also running the Near Mfg base and Alpha mount. It's amazing how accurate the lugs in the Near base are machined. Both mine and a friends fit essentially line-to-line with no movement...very solid. Also, Near Alpha mount is expensive but very nice. I highly recommend.

I have a TRG-22 which I just got and put a Warne 20 moa rail on with badger rings and a NF 5.5-22x56 scope. Still on a TRG-42 I would opt for the 25moa and Near mfg seems to be the winner in that department.

anybody used the bagder or is near the way to go?

I have the Badger 35MOA base on my TRG-42 338LM. A beautifully machined base. Am very pleased with it. Also available in a 20MOA version.

I have the factory three ring mount that attaches directly to the dovetail on the reciver and so far its been superb. It has 30 minutes of cant built into it as well. I know people harp on the cost of the unit, but I purchased mine for 450 from Euro optic and when you consider the cost of a near base and badger rings its about the same..

The 3 ring mount isn't that bad for $450 really when you price similar options. Most sources I've talked to see to think this is the best option if you are willing to spend the money.

The near base and alphamount is $500. I'm sure the quality is great, but for $500 I'd just go with the sako factory 3 ring setup.

If you have rings and just want a rail there are lots of options. Near makes a nice one, guys have used the warne with no issues, badger has one, even EGW has a new one out. I'm not sure aside the Near if the others have lugs that fit into the receiver notches. From the pics of the EGW it just bolts on, no lugs. If I just wanted a rail I'd go for the Near.