• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best scope rail for new Rem 700

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    Got a couple new Rem 700's from the Dick's sale. I now need to get scopes on them. Any recommendations for a scope base - these don't need any elevation adjustment as I don't think they will be shot longer than 1000 yards.

Re: Best scope rail for new Rem 700

Usually, doesn't cost more, so may as well get the built in cant. I've had good luck with both Badger and NF rails for the Rem 700.

I run EGW bases on multiple rifles and haven't had any problems.

Seekins, nightforce or Badger is what I would pick. TPS on the budget stuff.

+1 on a Seekins from SWFA. I also like the La Rue for only $75. As with all La Rue stuff it is very well built

+2 on Seekins and SWFA. Order them from the SWFA eBay store and the shipping is about 1/2 price.

Just basic comparisons would be:

Aluminum has 2-3 times the thermal expansion
    Aluminum has about 1/2 the weight
    Aluminum usually has less strength
    Aluminum can corrode, steel can rust

Unless they are magnums, either type really should be fine. Be sure to bed it which ever way to ensure a snug fit and be stiffer.

Weaver Tactical Bases have served me very well. Great Build and Quality, has built in recoil slot and won't break the bank.